• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are there different types of introversion and extroversion?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
for instance, I feel like I'm definitely an extrovert because I respond quickly and interact a lot with my environment naturally, but 2-3 hours shopping or running any kind of errand in a busy environment leave me gasping for air and thinking "omg get me outta here! I need to go home and spend 3 days by myself now" ...not very extroverted.
so are there different categories of introversion and extroversion? like, it would be possible to score high in one area and low in another

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Same here, I hope someone give us a good answer.
Maybe it's a Ne thing? You're enfp and I am in between intp/entp due to this...

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You seem to talk of something else than typology extraversion, in that system there is 4 different types of extraversion, thinking, feeling, sensation and intuition.

But you are talking more of like big5/eysenck/general type extroversion.

Anyways for big5 there are subscales for E(and others), they vary a bit depending on test version, but some of the usual ones are(if i remember right, but still you can create separate scales for any of these): dominance(social), gregariousness, assertiviness, enthusiasm and some others which i cant remember. Anyways, thats not the point, the point is that yes there are variance on how extraversion manifests, since extraversion is such a broad term, at least when used in general talk or big 5 etc

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You seem to talk of something else than typology extraversion, in that system there is 4 different types of extraversion, thinking, feeling, sensation and intuition.

But you are talking more of like big5/eysenck/general type extroversion.

Anyways for big5 there are subscales for E(and others), they vary a bit depending on test version, but some of the usual ones are(if i remember right, but still you can create separate scales for any of these): dominance(social), gregariousness, assertiviness, enthusiasm and some others which i cant remember. Anyways, thats not the point, the point is that yes there are variance on how extraversion manifests, since extraversion is such a broad term, at least when used in general talk or big 5 etc

my big 5 extroversion is extremely high, but that's probably because of Tertiary Te more than being an extrovert. I have an INTJ and an ISTJ friend who both score extremely high on Big 5 extroversion (as I think most ITJs would), whereas an ENFJ friend scored lower because she is constantly focused on others and doesn't draw a lot of attention to herself. honestly, I think Big 5 extroversion is sorta biased though, and that they ask questions in which an extroverted response would be much more advantageous (ex "I'm assertive" honesty? what confident introvert is going to say they aren't assertive? that's probably more correlated with T/F, and even then not to a substantial degree)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
my big 5 extroversion is extremely high, but that's probably because of Tertiary Te more than being an extrovert. I have an INTJ and an ISTJ friend who both score extremely high on Big 5 extroversion (as I think most ITJs would), whereas an ENFJ friend scored lower because she is constantly focused on others and doesn't draw a lot of attention to herself. honestly, I think Big 5 extroversion is sorta biased though, and that they ask questions in which an extroverted response would be much more advantageous (ex "I'm assertive" honesty? what confident introvert is going to say they aren't assertive? that's probably more correlated with T/F, and even then not to a substantial degree)

You shouldnt try to mix MBTI with big5 E, they are two different things, even tho they usually correlate heavily. Its not bias, its just different definition, and in you op, you didnt use mbti/jungian definition of extraversion, but big5 type, thats why you should look your answers from big5, not MBTI/jungian typology.
Why do you think that your IXTJ friends are I if they score really high on big 5 E? Are you sure that they are answering the questions honestly?

I suggest checking this page out:
http://www.erin.utoronto.ca/~w3psyuli/survey/bigfive/bigfiveresults.htm

Extraversion

Extraversion is marked by pronounced engagement with the external world. Extraverts enjoy being with people, are full of energy, and often experience positive emotions. They tend to be enthusiastic, action-oriented, individuals who are likely to say "Yes!" or "Let's go!" to opportunities for excitement. In groups they like to talk, assert themselves, and draw attention to themselves.

Introverts lack the exuberance, energy, and activity levels of extraverts. They tend to be quiet, low-key, deliberate, and disengaged from the social world. Their lack of social involvement should not be interpreted as shyness or depression; the introvert simply needs less stimulation than an extravert and prefers to be alone. The independence and reserve of the introvert is sometimes mistaken as unfriendliness or arrogance. In reality, an introvert who scores high on the agreeableness dimension will not seek others out but will be quite pleasant when approached.

Extraversion Facets

Friendliness. Friendly people genuinely like other people and openly demonstrate positive feelings toward others. They make friends quickly and it is easy for them to form close, intimate relationships. Low scorers on Friendliness are not necessarily cold and hostile, but they do not reach out to others and are perceived as distant and reserved.

Gregariousness. Gregarious people find the company of others pleasantly stimulating and rewarding. They enjoy the excitement of crowds. Low scorers tend to feel overwhelmed by, and therefore actively avoid, large crowds. They do not necessarily dislike being with people sometimes, but their need for privacy and time to themselves is much greater than for individuals who score high on this scale.

Assertiveness. High scorers Assertiveness like to speak out, take charge, and direct the activities of others. They tend to be leaders in groups. Low scorers tend not to talk much and let others control the activities of groups.

Activity Level. Active individuals lead fast-paced, busy lives. They move about quickly, energetically, and vigorously, and they are involved in many activities. People who score low on this scale follow a slower and more leisurely, relaxed pace.

Excitement-Seeking. High scorers on this scale are easily bored without high levels of stimulation. They love bright lights and hustle and bustle. They are likely to take risks and seek thrills. Low scorers are overwhelmed by noise and commotion and are averse to thrill-seeking.

Cheerfulness. This scale measures positive mood and feelings, not negative emotions (which are a part of the Neuroticism domain). Persons who score high on this scale typically experience a range of positive feelings, including happiness, enthusiasm, optimism, and joy. Low scorers are not as prone to such energetic, high spirits.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You shouldnt try to mix MBTI with big5 E, they are two different things, even tho they usually correlate heavily. Its not bias, its just different definition, and in you op, you didnt use mbti/jungian definition of extraversion, but big5 type, thats why you should look your answers from big5, not MBTI/jungian typology.
Why do you think that your IXTJ friends are I if they score really high on big 5 E? Are you sure that they are answering the questions honestly?

I suggest checking this page out:
http://www.erin.utoronto.ca/~w3psyuli/survey/bigfive/bigfiveresults.htm

yes, but one is an 8w7 and the other is a 3w4, so they are both pragmatic, assertive and action oriented like an ETJ

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
yes, but one is an 8w7 and the other is a 3w4, so they are both pragmatic, assertive and action oriented like an ETJ

What makes you so sure that they arent ETJs?

If you look at the E facets in quote on my last post, how would you score them on each? Lets say 1-10 scale. 5 being same as average person 6being on E side and 4 on I side

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Extroversion includes a tendency to have a short response delay in taking action. This has nothing to do with getting tired after awhile. Anyone can suffer from that. I would think that the Ne vs Se difference might influence what you describe. Se, with its physical orientation might not get tired as fast, where dominant iNtuition which devalues sensory data, and wants to "think" more, might get tired quicker.

I also believe cooperative/pragmatic is another kind of "expressiveness" and thus parallels introversion and extroversion. That deals with how quickly one takes action, as well.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What makes you so sure that they arent ETJs?

If you look at the E facets in quote on my last post, how would you score them on each? Lets say 1-10 scale. 5 being same as average person 6being on E side and 4 on I side

I would score then as Ni Te Fi Se and Si Te Fi Ne and that's what matters

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Extroversion includes a tendency to have a short response delay in taking action. This has nothing to do with getting tired after awhile. Anyone can suffer from that. I would think that the Ne vs Se difference might influence what you describe. Se, with its physical orientation might not get tired as fast, where dominant iNtuition which devalues sensory data, and wants to "think" more, might get tired quicker.

I also believe cooperative/pragmatic is another kind of "expressiveness" and thus parallels introversion and extroversion. That deals with how quickly one takes action, as well.

Extraversion doesent include tendency for fast responce, but fast responce is sort of byproduct of extraversion.
Extraversion being basically inserting a subjective meaning to external objects. This naturally creates fast responce, because you already have this opinion/idea/view of the object. With extraverted people this is the dominant attitude, so they have fast responce more often than introverts.
But naturally this isnt all that simple, because different functions have responce to different things, people who are good at something are faster at giving responce to things in the area of their profession(which is unrelated to functions), people learn functions, so if introvert develops good aux E, he might be able to give as fast responces than extraverts in some situation etc etc.
For example im quite often faster at giving witty Ne responces than my ENTP friend, since i have done that more than him

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I wasn't arguing which causes which. I actually would say that extraversion is a neurological understimulatability to the external world, which is what would lead to merging the subject with the object in the first place, which of course is connected with "inserting a subjective meaning" to objects.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would score then as Ni Te Fi Se and Si Te Fi Ne and that's what matters

If you dont think big5 is relevant, you need to change your view on what extraversion is, because what you say at op isnt MBTI/jungian extraversion, but general speek/big5 E.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I wasn't arguing which causes which. I actually would say that extraversion is a neurological understimulatability to the external world, which is what would lead to merging the subject with the object in the first place, which of course is connected with "inserting a subjective meaning" to objects.

Its not understimulation to external world, actually quite the opposite.

Introverted people have stronger activity on areas of frontal lobes, which inhibit activity on some other areas.
Now because of less inhibition with extraverts, there is more information inserted to visual cortex from other areas, meaning simply that they put more meaning to perception, while introverts put less meaning to perceptions, but they process this information more by inhibiting what doesent make sense to higher level cognitive functions(not talking of jungian functions). Its unclear how much this happens with audio stimulation, i have only read study done with visual cortex and i doubt its even studied on audio cortex. When it comes to odours, this inhibition doesent apply, actually it seems to be the opposite, if you put a lemon drop on tongue of introvert and extravert, introvert has stronger responce to it

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you dont think big5 is relevant, you need to change your view on what extraversion is, because what you say at op isnt MBTI/jungian extraversion, but general speek/big5 E.

MBTI extroversion simply has to do with function order. the only difference between an ENFP and an INFP is that ENFPs are Ne>Fi and Te>Si where INFPs are Fi>Ne and Si>Te. MBTI extroversion is really a very simplistic concept

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
MBTI extroversion simply has to do with function order. the only difference between an ENFP and an INFP is that ENFPs are Ne>Fi and Te>Si where INFPs are Fi>Ne and Si>Te. MBTI extroversion is really a very simplistic concept

I think that your view on it is just simplistic, its actually quite complex when you dig deeper..