User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 15

  1. #1
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default Are there different types of introversion and extroversion?

    for instance, I feel like I'm definitely an extrovert because I respond quickly and interact a lot with my environment naturally, but 2-3 hours shopping or running any kind of errand in a busy environment leave me gasping for air and thinking "omg get me outta here! I need to go home and spend 3 days by myself now" ...not very extroverted.
    so are there different categories of introversion and extroversion? like, it would be possible to score high in one area and low in another
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    abcd
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Same here, I hope someone give us a good answer.
    Maybe it's a Ne thing? You're enfp and I am in between intp/entp due to this...

  3. #3
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    You seem to talk of something else than typology extraversion, in that system there is 4 different types of extraversion, thinking, feeling, sensation and intuition.

    But you are talking more of like big5/eysenck/general type extroversion.

    Anyways for big5 there are subscales for E(and others), they vary a bit depending on test version, but some of the usual ones are(if i remember right, but still you can create separate scales for any of these): dominance(social), gregariousness, assertiviness, enthusiasm and some others which i cant remember. Anyways, thats not the point, the point is that yes there are variance on how extraversion manifests, since extraversion is such a broad term, at least when used in general talk or big 5 etc
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  4. #4
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    You seem to talk of something else than typology extraversion, in that system there is 4 different types of extraversion, thinking, feeling, sensation and intuition.

    But you are talking more of like big5/eysenck/general type extroversion.

    Anyways for big5 there are subscales for E(and others), they vary a bit depending on test version, but some of the usual ones are(if i remember right, but still you can create separate scales for any of these): dominance(social), gregariousness, assertiviness, enthusiasm and some others which i cant remember. Anyways, thats not the point, the point is that yes there are variance on how extraversion manifests, since extraversion is such a broad term, at least when used in general talk or big 5 etc
    my big 5 extroversion is extremely high, but that's probably because of Tertiary Te more than being an extrovert. I have an INTJ and an ISTJ friend who both score extremely high on Big 5 extroversion (as I think most ITJs would), whereas an ENFJ friend scored lower because she is constantly focused on others and doesn't draw a lot of attention to herself. honestly, I think Big 5 extroversion is sorta biased though, and that they ask questions in which an extroverted response would be much more advantageous (ex "I'm assertive" honesty? what confident introvert is going to say they aren't assertive? that's probably more correlated with T/F, and even then not to a substantial degree)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  5. #5
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    my big 5 extroversion is extremely high, but that's probably because of Tertiary Te more than being an extrovert. I have an INTJ and an ISTJ friend who both score extremely high on Big 5 extroversion (as I think most ITJs would), whereas an ENFJ friend scored lower because she is constantly focused on others and doesn't draw a lot of attention to herself. honestly, I think Big 5 extroversion is sorta biased though, and that they ask questions in which an extroverted response would be much more advantageous (ex "I'm assertive" honesty? what confident introvert is going to say they aren't assertive? that's probably more correlated with T/F, and even then not to a substantial degree)
    You shouldnt try to mix MBTI with big5 E, they are two different things, even tho they usually correlate heavily. Its not bias, its just different definition, and in you op, you didnt use mbti/jungian definition of extraversion, but big5 type, thats why you should look your answers from big5, not MBTI/jungian typology.
    Why do you think that your IXTJ friends are I if they score really high on big 5 E? Are you sure that they are answering the questions honestly?

    I suggest checking this page out:
    http://www.erin.utoronto.ca/~w3psyul...iveresults.htm


    Extraversion

    Extraversion is marked by pronounced engagement with the external world. Extraverts enjoy being with people, are full of energy, and often experience positive emotions. They tend to be enthusiastic, action-oriented, individuals who are likely to say "Yes!" or "Let's go!" to opportunities for excitement. In groups they like to talk, assert themselves, and draw attention to themselves.

    Introverts lack the exuberance, energy, and activity levels of extraverts. They tend to be quiet, low-key, deliberate, and disengaged from the social world. Their lack of social involvement should not be interpreted as shyness or depression; the introvert simply needs less stimulation than an extravert and prefers to be alone. The independence and reserve of the introvert is sometimes mistaken as unfriendliness or arrogance. In reality, an introvert who scores high on the agreeableness dimension will not seek others out but will be quite pleasant when approached.

    Extraversion Facets

    Friendliness. Friendly people genuinely like other people and openly demonstrate positive feelings toward others. They make friends quickly and it is easy for them to form close, intimate relationships. Low scorers on Friendliness are not necessarily cold and hostile, but they do not reach out to others and are perceived as distant and reserved.

    Gregariousness. Gregarious people find the company of others pleasantly stimulating and rewarding. They enjoy the excitement of crowds. Low scorers tend to feel overwhelmed by, and therefore actively avoid, large crowds. They do not necessarily dislike being with people sometimes, but their need for privacy and time to themselves is much greater than for individuals who score high on this scale.

    Assertiveness. High scorers Assertiveness like to speak out, take charge, and direct the activities of others. They tend to be leaders in groups. Low scorers tend not to talk much and let others control the activities of groups.

    Activity Level. Active individuals lead fast-paced, busy lives. They move about quickly, energetically, and vigorously, and they are involved in many activities. People who score low on this scale follow a slower and more leisurely, relaxed pace.

    Excitement-Seeking. High scorers on this scale are easily bored without high levels of stimulation. They love bright lights and hustle and bustle. They are likely to take risks and seek thrills. Low scorers are overwhelmed by noise and commotion and are averse to thrill-seeking.

    Cheerfulness. This scale measures positive mood and feelings, not negative emotions (which are a part of the Neuroticism domain). Persons who score high on this scale typically experience a range of positive feelings, including happiness, enthusiasm, optimism, and joy. Low scorers are not as prone to such energetic, high spirits.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  6. #6
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    You shouldnt try to mix MBTI with big5 E, they are two different things, even tho they usually correlate heavily. Its not bias, its just different definition, and in you op, you didnt use mbti/jungian definition of extraversion, but big5 type, thats why you should look your answers from big5, not MBTI/jungian typology.
    Why do you think that your IXTJ friends are I if they score really high on big 5 E? Are you sure that they are answering the questions honestly?

    I suggest checking this page out:
    http://www.erin.utoronto.ca/~w3psyul...iveresults.htm
    yes, but one is an 8w7 and the other is a 3w4, so they are both pragmatic, assertive and action oriented like an ETJ
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  7. #7
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    yes, but one is an 8w7 and the other is a 3w4, so they are both pragmatic, assertive and action oriented like an ETJ
    What makes you so sure that they arent ETJs?

    If you look at the E facets in quote on my last post, how would you score them on each? Lets say 1-10 scale. 5 being same as average person 6being on E side and 4 on I side
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  8. #8
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Extroversion includes a tendency to have a short response delay in taking action. This has nothing to do with getting tired after awhile. Anyone can suffer from that. I would think that the Ne vs Se difference might influence what you describe. Se, with its physical orientation might not get tired as fast, where dominant iNtuition which devalues sensory data, and wants to "think" more, might get tired quicker.

    I also believe cooperative/pragmatic is another kind of "expressiveness" and thus parallels introversion and extroversion. That deals with how quickly one takes action, as well.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  9. #9
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    What makes you so sure that they arent ETJs?

    If you look at the E facets in quote on my last post, how would you score them on each? Lets say 1-10 scale. 5 being same as average person 6being on E side and 4 on I side
    I would score then as Ni Te Fi Se and Si Te Fi Ne and that's what matters
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  10. #10
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Extroversion includes a tendency to have a short response delay in taking action. This has nothing to do with getting tired after awhile. Anyone can suffer from that. I would think that the Ne vs Se difference might influence what you describe. Se, with its physical orientation might not get tired as fast, where dominant iNtuition which devalues sensory data, and wants to "think" more, might get tired quicker.

    I also believe cooperative/pragmatic is another kind of "expressiveness" and thus parallels introversion and extroversion. That deals with how quickly one takes action, as well.
    Extraversion doesent include tendency for fast responce, but fast responce is sort of byproduct of extraversion.
    Extraversion being basically inserting a subjective meaning to external objects. This naturally creates fast responce, because you already have this opinion/idea/view of the object. With extraverted people this is the dominant attitude, so they have fast responce more often than introverts.
    But naturally this isnt all that simple, because different functions have responce to different things, people who are good at something are faster at giving responce to things in the area of their profession(which is unrelated to functions), people learn functions, so if introvert develops good aux E, he might be able to give as fast responces than extraverts in some situation etc etc.
    For example im quite often faster at giving witty Ne responces than my ENTP friend, since i have done that more than him
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

Similar Threads

  1. Different Types of Wannabees and their male and female counterparts
    By GarrotTheThief in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-03-2016, 11:38 AM
  2. There are basicly two types of people
    By Munchies in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
  3. The REAL differences between introversion and extroversion
    By NewEra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
  4. There are only 2 types of people....
    By cogdecree in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 01:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO