User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Voice Typing?

Not sure how to describe it. But some people devinitely have an abstract way of speaking.

I don't just mean using metaphors or colorful speech. In-fact, depending on the metaphors chosen, that not "airy" at all.

In High School, we had a day when the parents would go to all the classes that their child had, and meet all the teachers.

Junior year, my parents used the same word to describe both my physics teacher (whom I would now type as ENTP) and my art/photography teacher (whom I would now type as INFP), "abstract." I am pretty sure my parents weren't familiar with MBTI. But they actually had a convorsation that resembled:

Dad:"Pretty descent teachers overall. That art techer was pretty abstract, though."
    Mom:"Talk about abstract. The one who was really abstract was that physics teacher. I had no clue what he was talking about."

I can only give examples from my own life, since I don't watch enough TV/movies to give a common-reference for "Airy."

But abstract language is on part of it. But there is also a voice tonality component.

Anyone listen to "Talk of the Nation"? The host of that show is slightly "airy."
    I haven't watched enough, but I think Aaron Brown and Aderson Cooper are both slightly "airy."

Think of someone more extreme.

No offense again, and I haven't heard you talk for that long, but whatever, I would have been fairly skeptical if you told me you were an S.

(Please don't consider it an insult, I find I am somewhat "airy" myself)

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, I believe voice-typing has some validity. I also believe photo-typing does.

Example: Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter movies definitely sounds INFP.
    j'adore les chats

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissgiggles View Post
    Aren't there videos on youtube with different types?
    Here is mine:

YouTube - INTJ Introduction

Does my voice sound like an introvert?

There are quite a few other videos, too. Just search on YouTube for a certain type, and often there will be videos. A few I know of: INTJ, ENTP, ENTJ, INTP, ENFP, ISTJ, and others.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'd be curious to know what you think about my type now that you've heard me speak, ygolo.

Edit: I understand this isn't a "type people based on their voice!" thread but a thread about the legitimacy of voice typing as a concept, but I can't help it, I'm still curious. If it derails your thread badly I'll split it out.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    yupp

I wonder what I sound like. Maybe I'll actually talk more if I get on ventrillo again.

I always get soft spoken, sweet, I sound nice. I even had friends tell me that they were too tired/drunk/stressed to decode my speech, I don't think I talk in riddles but apparently I do.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ

I think that different types have different laughing styles, too. The INTs that I know laugh with a high pitch in the backs of their throats. I thought that the similarity between them was interesting, since none of them know each other.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I can only speak for myself and relate what others have told me about how they perceive my speech. I've heard the same thing often enough to think their pov is valid and could possibly be a marker:

My speech seems to lack the "usual" cadence. I hesitate where others don't noticeably. IE: stop and think/evaluate even in mid sentence.

My voice seems to be monotone or less than "usually" animated to many.

The rest of what I've been told has more to do with actual content so I'll leave that out but I've gotten pretty much the same comments from others irl on that. I've recently started trying to type people I meet and, recently, ran into a sales person (computer store) I noticed had the speech pattern I've been told I do... I asked and.. yes, another INTP.

Junior Member littlemissgiggles's Avatar
    MBTI
    entj
    Enneagram

Duke of York: I didn't listen to the whole thing but your tone sounds not unlike an ISTJ friend of mine.

I wonder if Introversion and Thinking preferences would lead someone to have something of a monotone quality (especially if nervous) and if Judging would cause someone to be very straightforward and direct. S and N might be more related to the content of speech, so if an ISTJ and INTJ were to read a scripted piece, they might be indistinguishable.

Maybe the INF combination would lead to the "airy" quality? Less animated than E/F combination, more animated than I/T combination, and if speaking in abstract terms, it would be an interesting middle ground between the two.

Just theorizing out loud...

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of York View Post
    Here is mine:

YouTube - INTJ Introduction

Does my voice sound like an introvert?

There are quite a few other videos, too. Just search on YouTube for a certain type, and often there will be videos. A few I know of: INTJ, ENTP, ENTJ, INTP, ENFP, ISTJ, and others.
    Well, yes, you do sound INTJ. Precise, with pauses, structured and a little "flat". Nice video, BTW. I enjoyed it.
    But in general, voice typing seems nonsense to me, since we constantly adapt to audience and surroundings. I can imagine sounding quite E to people. And when speeching, people often see me as ESFJ, the exact opposite of what I am
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I feel caught now that I took the effort of watching some INTP video's on You Tube. There is this one video where an INTP points out similarities in speech. And yes, he has a point, in private I speak in the same start-stop-at-any-time-speech
    YouTube - INTP
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas