User Tag List

123 Last

Talking Reading books backwards

Do you do it ?

I mean, not informational books (they can be read randomely even if they are written linearly), but for example.. novels... [auto]biographies..

many times I caught myself reading books backwards... like book has 300 pages, and i open at 280 and read 5 pages, then go to 200 and read 5, and then 100 read 5, then 150 and read 5. it's not in the skimming period, i mean i am doing this when i really am reading the book..

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

lol.. nope. I kind of like the idea of experiencing something the way it was intended, at least the first time through. I do this with magazines that I've already read, though.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've never done this but I did download and audiobook once to an iPOD and then listened to the tracks on shuffle. It was fun to listen to random parts and try to piece together the whole story.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

I actually think that could masohism, maybe.
    Torturing your brain... like.. I ADORED Ana Karenina, but I read it in that way and now I have no clue .. i mean, i heard she jumped under the train...

NPcomplete

Nope, never done it. I have in the past though glanced at the last page(s) just to check if my favourite characters were still alive. When I was a kid, that used to matter a lot. :P

When I was younger I would start reading and want to know how it would end and then cheat and read the very ending. But now I'm realizing it's also fun to discover as you go and try to figure it out or at least let it unfold and entertain you.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I often do this. At least at first, I might skim like this sometimes.. and then get to reading from the beginning.

Lets blame it on Ni. Everything is type related, right?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I tend to flip through magazines from back to front, but that's because I'm a lefty. I've never read a book in that way.

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

i do this all the time. i open a book at a random page and read a small section. after that i return and read the preceding several pages, then read a few pages further. then i open the book at another random place and repeat the whole process. if one of these parts feels particularly moving, i will re-read it several times over. it might seem chaotic, and it is, but eventually, the book starts to become more and more of a coherent whole and falls into place, like to a jigsaw puzzle.

by the time i am done with the book, i am usually able to recite whole passages by rote because i have read them all too often, and many of my books are noticeably worn down with overuse.

it might be shameful to admit but i read jung's "memories, dreams, reflections" this way, and it is one of my most favorite books ever.
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

MBTI
    INTj

I read the Torah backward all the time.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight