• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your music collection: a reflection of type?

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't really have a music profile, (If you go to Pandora you find ALL types of music.)

But my favorite genre is indie pop. such as (artist and # of albums)
Ingrid Michaelson 2
Regina Spektor 1
LIGHTS 2
Vanessa Carlton
The Ting Tings
And actually I love the Les Miserables album... I know quite a few lyrics from there.

Oh and I use Spotify, so I can listen to whatever I want, for free :p
and that is mostly what I listen to...though I was listening to some of Rihanna's songs a little ago.... well I do like dancing.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, the way you collect it, rather than the songs / artists that make up the list, could tell a lot.

I have had (until recently) only a few bands, but with many songs (whole albums) each. Though acquiring it this way makes less sense in a world where CDs are no longer necessary to obtain the albums.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a nice big collection of music that I've accumulated over the years. I have noticed some differences in musical styles, but they are very small, if I like it, other people often like it too.

Current Digs:
Maybeshewill
Florence & the machine
Steven Wilson

They will change within a week or two. Probably to coldplay's mylo xyloto, and Haken Visions, which I just picked up and it sounds amazing, I'm exited :D.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
This is a little out of date because I haven't let it scrobble in a while, but here is everything last.fm knows about my listening habits. I included whatever I could get in a single screenshot. Rilo Kiley and MF DOOM are probably under represented on this list. Everything else is probably about right at least relatively:

20111110-rmgercmrb3eqq1r35b75y4tp6r.jpg

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4Ssqc.png

no i'm supposed to be listening to indie or something. or something that makes me cry.

that's a couple years old it's probably a little different now though.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
I suspect that there is a strong correlation between musical taste and personality type, but so far I haven't seen any evidence.

I've seen threads like this before on other sites and, based on people's purported types (somewhat dubious, IMO) and reported taste in music, there does not seem to be a strong correlation between musical taste and personality type.

In any case, I mostly like psychedelic and electronic music which, I think, makes sense, considering my type (ENTP).

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, the way you collect it, rather than the songs / artists that make up the list, could tell a lot.

This.

Dunno if I read it somewhere or what, but I vaguely remember the idea that INFJs' music taste is often eclectic, spanning many different genres/fields etc in a way that tends to seems quite random and a little strange/confusing to those [non-INFJs] around them. And people often seeing their taste as "odd" (not bad, though; just not easily comprehensible). That certainly rings true for me. Any other INFJs relate?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really own much music, but what I listen to most of the time is eurodance and opera. eurodance is 7w8-ish and FP-ish; opera is 784-ish and NF-ish, so I guess my musical tastes make sense

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm listening to the Rachmaninoff third piano concerto right now, and it's amazing.
Whay does it mean?!? lol

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm listening to the Rachmaninoff third piano concerto right now, and it's amazing.
Whay does it mean?!? lol
You have good taste.

My music preferences are primarily classical; with large infusions of new age, folk, world music, show tunes/soundtracks; and smaller doses of electronica, classic rock, and random goofy stuff (see Boney M's "Rasputin"). Some of my non-classical favorites are Loreena McKennitt, David Arkenstone, Mannheim Steamroller/Chip Davis, Silly Wizard (long defunct), Phillip Glass, Les Miserables.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here is but a breif collection of the music that I enjoy:

ACDC
Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
Alice in Chains
Audioslave
Bad Company
Beastie Boys
Beck
Billy Joel
Black Sabboth
Blue Oyster Cult
Bob Dylan
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
Bon Jovi
Boston
Bush
Cheap trick
Chicago
Corrosion of Conformity
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
David Bowie
Deep Purple
Dio
Dire Straits
Electric Light Orchestra
Elton John
Fleetwood Mac
Foo Fighters
Foreigner
Frank Zappa
Genesis
Gorillaz
Grateful Dead
Green Day
Guns N Roses
Heart
Iron Maiden
Jethro Tull
Jimi Hendrix
Joe Walsh
Journey
Jusad Priest
Kansas
KISS
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Mad Season
Meat Puppets
Megadeth
Mercyful Fate
Metallica
Motley Crue
Muse
Neil Young
Nirvana
Ozzy Osbourne
Pearl Jam
Peter Frampton
Pink Floyd
Queen
Queens of the Stone Age
Rage Against the Machine
Rod Stewart
Rolling Stones
Rush
Santana
Sepultura
Scorpions
Screaming Trees
Sound Garden
Steely Dan
Steve Miller Band
Stone Temple Pilots
Styx
Super Tramp
System of a Down
The Allman Brothers Band
The Beatles
The Cars
The Doors
The Eagles
The J. Geils Band
The Killers
The Moody Blues
The Offspring
The Outlaws
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Strokes
The Sword
The Toadies
The Urge
The Who
Them Crooked Vultures
Thin Lizzy
Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers
Tool
Twisted Sister
T-Rex
Van Halen
Weezer
White Zombie
Yes
ZZ Top.

So what does that say about my type?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Assuming subjects are capable of interpreting material and, subsequently, demonstrating listening patterns of any sort, i.e. being human. More importantly: skill level of evaluator(s)?

I generally stick with so-sx/sp and sp/so e5 productions.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
You have good taste.

My music preferences are primarily classical; with large infusions of new age, folk, world music, show tunes/soundtracks; and smaller doses of electronica, classic rock, and random goofy stuff (see Boney M's "Rasputin"). Some of my non-classical favorites are Loreena McKennitt, David Arkenstone, Mannheim Steamroller/Chip Davis, Silly Wizard (long defunct), Phillip Glass, Les Miserables.

Thank you! Same to you. A classical-loving barfly I met turned me onto the Mozart string quintets, which are unusual because they include an additional viola. Check them out!

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have the entire Rush discography, most of Iron Maiden's, and a fair amount of Yes. I enjoy rock and metal, progressive or otherwise. The rest of my collection is heavy on movie scores, plus a few broadway soundtracks. Currently I'm listening to Loreena McKennit.