• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are Introverts Low Energy In General? Are Extroverts High Energy?

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I thought owls were carnivorous and bunnehz were not. Are you saying you're a vegan owl? *paradigm shift!*

LOL not vegan, I just don't underestimate glitter power. Plus, I could never rumple her sweet bunny fur, so disadvantage mine.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=12679]allegorystory[/MENTION] You sound stunningly like a friend of mine, she is a dynamo. I marvel at her, she makes me look like a slug, and I am a bit of a maniac myself. Nice for you types. :)

G

Glycerine

I am an extrovert who gets exhausted just by going to classes everyday.

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fe, on the other hand, seems like the extroverted function most likely to burn itself out just by operating the way it does -- by not avoiding the draining interactions that Te avoids. I think I was talking to an ENFJ about this? And the ENFJ told me that Fe is an exhausting function for them.

Does it, really! I didn't know that. I've heard that it can be tiring for INFJs but I get the sense that, with some INFJs, they're actually using Fe to protect themselves. And I thought it was tiring for me because I wasn't sufficiently adept at it. Very interesting.

Well, I'm an extrovert and I has an exceedingly exorbitant amount of energy on a day-to-day basis provided I am in good health.

Right now I work full time and go to school (7 days a week, no days off) and somehow manage to party, study my ass off and not completely neglect my apartment's hygiene. People ask me all the time how I do it, but I guess it's just cause I'm a pretty laid-back person with a lot of energy. Seems to be a good combination.

But I've certainly met low-energy extroverts and high-energy introverts before.

Wowzers, that is a lot of energy. I'd have to come home some of those days and just sit in a dark room for a bit to recover :p. Is it because the partying re-energises you? Or do you just pull energy from the air?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm another very low energy borderline-extravert. It very much makes me "look introverted." It's probably mainly a health issue. But on the other hand an extravert who has overall been kind of a social recluse (some of it due to the low energy in the first place) is of course going to have messed up energy levels :laugh:

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Wowzers, that is a lot of energy. I'd have to come home some of those days and just sit in a dark room for a bit to recover :p. Is it because the partying re-energises you? Or do you just pull energy from the air?

Yeah...I definitely get energy from my social life, but not as much as I get from my studies (mainly: math and physics). I'm fortunate in that I've found something I really enjoy and MAN...it gets me PUMPED. And my work is really fun so that helps.

I'm just really lucky and I think it's cool that I have the chance to make the most of it. Plus I hate being bored so it's good I pretty much have NO time for boredom. :laugh:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The difference between E and I regarding "energy" is not high or low, but whether the energy is focused outwardly or inwardly. So E may look high and I look low, because we on the outside are seeing what is bring directed outward.

The temperament with Low energy would be the Phlegmatic. The others have energy that push them towards or away from people, in two dimensions (E/I and people/task). Still, in the translation to type, since everything must fall on one side or the other, Phlegmatic usually falls on the I and people-focused side.

Here's the diagram of energy orientation I put together (horizontal is E/I, vertical is people/task):

grayscales.jpg

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does it, really! I didn't know that. I've heard that it can be tiring for INFJs but I get the sense that, with some INFJs, they're actually using Fe to protect themselves. And I thought it was tiring for me because I wasn't sufficiently adept at it. Very interesting.
I wouldn't take my word for it if I were you. :unsure: You have more Fe than I do.

Help? [MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION]? [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]? [MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION]? [MENTION=10137]Sparrow[/MENTION]? Any other xNFJs willing to fact-check me?

wolfy

awsm
I'm quite up and down energy wise. I do the cycle thing someone mentioned, though I can turn on the energy if I really need to/want to. I guess I'd be described as more solid and strong before energetic. Don't think it has much to do with introversion, maybe something to do with Se... I don't know.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't take my word for it if I were you. :unsure: You have more Fe than I do.

Help? [MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION]? [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]? [MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION]? [MENTION=10137]Sparrow[/MENTION]? Any other xNFJs willing to fact-check me?

Hmm...is using Fe tiring? It depends. I think it can be quite refreshing if things are sort of flowing naturally. It can be exhausting though. I've had jobs where I had to maintain calm and composure for long periods of time with difficult people. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to do it in my personal life too. (I only have one person in my personal life where it's a major drain at the moment, and I'm not expending too much on them currently, but even just one can be so draining.) That can be absolutely exhausting. Or my Fe starts to desert me. I feel like that has happened quite a lot lately. On here too.

I'm pretty low energy generally. I genuinely think I am somewhat lazy but I also have low energy, it's a combination. I've always been like that. I can get big energy surges if I'm having fun (rock concerts really charge me up, that sort of thing) and especially when I travel... I've had times when I was leaving on a trip and I felt exhausted and even ill just before I leave, but then from somewhere comes the burst of travel energy, and it can be quite sustained. If I'm bored or frustrated that will drain me more. But when I get going I can keep going for quite a while.

If some big output of energy is required from me I can keep going for quite a while once I get going. Sometimes there is really huge payback though. I do have days when getting out of bed is a major problem. Sometimes that has been when I'm somewhat depressed, to be sure. But for instance, I had a really crazy (probably ESFP) friend stay for a week recently. It was fun, we talked for hours and I laughed harder than I have in ages. But after she left...I was so tired for days that I was practically ill.

And yeah, Fe is kind of a protective thing for me too, for sure. I think this also has to do with me being type 6 sp-first. We're supposed to be friendly to people partly as a sort of pre-emptive strike and that definitely applies to me.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On the outside, I usually seem low-energy mainly because most of my energy is spent in frenetic analysis. But I've noticed that my energy level depends on the situations I'm in. If there is a deadline involved, for instance, I'll be very energetic and be focusing mostly (not solely, unfortunately) on what needs to be done. This is very tiring though, so as soon as I finish sparkling, I revert back to being a low-energy electron. If on the other hand, there is no deadline, I'll be outwardly relaxed but my mind will be drifting.

The energy level, to me, is constant. What differs every time is the amount I show and the amount I don't show, or even how I show it. Hmm it's sounding a bit like the law of conservation of energy now. :laugh:

This fits me.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
low energy extrovert in da house

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I've actually wondered myself if it is an energy level thing. When I have energy, I am extroverted. The more tired I am, the more introverted I become.

G

Glycerine

I've actually wondered myself if it is an energy level thing. When I have energy, I am extroverted. The more tired I am, the more introverted I become.
Interesting, the more tired I am, the more I can't seem to stop talking. It's like I am desperately trying to get my energy up by engaging my environment. It's so bad because I say things that I wouldn't otherwise say and forget half the things I have told the person. It basically looks like I'm drunk......

When I have energy, I am fairly mellow and even-keeled.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have been accused recently of being extroverted because of my high physical energy level. I don't think that the two correlate. I am very active alone. I do not consider it bad that I could be mistaken for an extrovert but I do believe that I am introverted. I thought I would ask y'all what you think.

Are you I or E?

What is your energy level?

Any thoughts on the topic?

Danke

I'm an introvert, and I'm extremely energetic (I just don't show it). I hate sitting still. While I always want to do something, I usually just can't decide on what to do. Usually I end up walking around in circles in my room listening to music while thinking up plots to video games I hope to make someday... or I go for a run. I don't have much energy in social situations, because I'm scared of making a fool of myself, but I have a ton of energy when alone (or with my close friends).