User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 39

  1. #1
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default Ni and detail orientedness

    They say that N's aren't interested in details. From what I've suspected, Ni seems to have a very keen interest in them, they bring all the details together to reach the one "true answer." No detail is unimportant- everything like goes into their reservoir of information. It seems like people who I suspect are Ni doms and auxs couldn't do what they do without some level of focus on the small things.

    True or false? Elaborate.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    I wouldn't call it being detail oriented, but digging deeper into a subject.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    Example - a recent quote from @Domino (XNFJ): "I will absolutely dissect, pull apart, sift, pick, string, separate and explode something/someone that has drawn my attention. My perhaps obsessive drive to get at the pith of any object - the etymology of it, the genesis moment - extends to a great many things, like words, or feelings, or colors."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #4
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Its not Ni thats interested in details, its the Se of Ni user. And its more about fact vs made up. If you look at details, the details are facts. When you start to form an larger scale understanding of these facts/details, then its about made up big picture and possibilities. The fact/details are building blocks for made up big picture. This naturally is about S being the building block for N.

    If you look at Ni dom, their Se is rather unconscious, meaning that they mostly(depending on the level of differentation of Se) see the details in external world that are used to build an big picture image inside and even sometimes failing to see the details that they use to form the Ni view.

    For Ne users its the opposite, what is inside is seen as facts and these facts can be used to made up possibilities and big picture view on external world. Again the inferior is usually quite unconscious, so Ne doms might not be too conscious of the facts that are inside, nevertheless, those facts are projected onto the possibilities in external world.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  5. #5
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    They say that N's aren't interested in details. From what I've suspected, Ni seems to have a very keen interest in them, they bring all the details together to reach the one "true answer." No detail is unimportant- everything like goes into their reservoir of information. It seems like people who I suspect are Ni doms and auxs couldn't do what they do without some level of focus on the small things.

    True or false? Elaborate.
    For me, it's a bit of a perplexing combination and I don't know how much of it is Ni or something else. I can and often do want to pull in lots of information, including lots of details. At the end, it's about connecting those dots, focusing on the big picture and what's really important. A lot of time, I just don't want to be bothered with any of the details and just quickly decide. I can get annoyed and frustrated with too much detail - especially when someone is explaining something to me and I perceive they are irrelevant details. I want to get to the bottom line. On the other hand, I can be very perfectionistic and detail oriented when I'm creating or producing something. I can be quite anal and little mistakes, especially repeated ones, can bother the heck out of me.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  6. #6
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I can get annoyed and frustrated with too much detail - especially when someone is explaining something to me and I perceive they are irrelevant details. I want to get to the bottom line.
    Oh god this is annoying with my INTJ friend.

    Basic setting is that im trying to explain something to him, since he is quite lost with the real world, usually i need to explain quite a bit in order him to understand. At some point he simply stops listening, since explanations bore him and sees what i say as irrelevant(but he makes that judgment usually before i get to finish my first sentence), but keeps pretending as if he were listening, just waiting that i stop speaking. But if i go straight to the bottom line, he just denies that what i say is true, so i ask him reasons, he is unable to give any, so i explain to him why im right and he stops listening and acts as if he were listening. Wtf
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  7. #7
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    For me, it's a bit of a perplexing combination and I don't know how much of it is Ni or something else. I can and often do want to pull in lots of information, including lots of details. At the end, it's about connecting those dots, focusing on the big picture and what's really important. A lot of time, I just don't want to be bothered with any of the details and just quickly decide. I can get annoyed and frustrated with too much detail - especially when someone is explaining something to me and I perceive they are irrelevant details. I want to get to the bottom line. On the other hand, I can be very perfectionistic and detail oriented when I'm creating or producing something. I can be quite anal and little mistakes, especially repeated ones, can bother the heck out of me.
    Details are tools to get the bottom line, but there are almost always more details that exist than are applicable. Detail is an investment of thought and time.

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Oh god this is annoying with my INTJ friend.

    But if i go straight to the bottom line, he just denies that what i say is true, so i ask him reasons, he is unable to give any, so i explain to him why im right and he stops listening and acts as if he were listening. Wtf
    If you go straight to the bottom line, you are going out of order. This can be uncomfortable.

  8. #8
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Oh god this is annoying with my INTJ friend.

    Basic setting is that im trying to explain something to him, since he is quite lost with the real world, usually i need to explain quite a bit in order him to understand. At some point he simply stops listening, since explanations bore him and sees what i say as irrelevant(but he makes that judgment usually before i get to finish my first sentence), but keeps pretending as if he were listening, just waiting that i stop speaking. But if i go straight to the bottom line, he just denies that what i say is true, so i ask him reasons, he is unable to give any, so i explain to him why im right and he stops listening and acts as if he were listening. Wtf
    One of the biggest challenges an INTJ has is explaining why they have come to a conclusion. It's one of the most important things - to develop a means of expression. It is particularly difficult for younger INTJs to do this.

    Accept the fact that he thinks differently than you do and that your way is no better - just different. Make it interactive so that you do not bore him. Ask him what he thinks. Tell him what you think. Get to the point quickly. If he disagrees, explain your reasons in a concise way. Let's say, you have 5 reasons. Tell him there are 5 and then go through a couple. Ask what he thinks. He will try and poke holes. You can go back and forth on this elaborating your point of view, listening to his and revising. You can acknowledge his points. He will want to complete all 5, so you should not have a problem redirecting to get back to the other ones. If he still disagrees, ask him to think about it. Go back several days later and ask him what he thinks. Good chance you may have influenced his thinking. Maybe he won't ever agree because you have different opinions or you are wrong though. At the end, he will decide on his opinion. That can always change with new information though. He will readily recognize that he is wrong provided there is enough of the right information or evidence.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  9. #9
    From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,456

    Default

    Noticing aesthetic details and how it fits into the whole picture is where I tend to be detail oriented. When it comes to receiving instructions, I prefer a general guide to what needs to be done and how. If I get too much information piled at me all at once without ample time to digest it, I feel overwhelmed. I'm quite meticulous when doing things, but I'm not exactly the best at maintaining my focus on the present moment and noticing details in front of me.

    I find it particularly overwhelming taking notes in class when I am bombarded with so many details that I can't keep up with the professor... I feel like I have to write everything down, and then my hands feel like they're cramping up, my handwriting becomes illegible because I'm stressed out about the details, and then I get frustrated and frantic that I'm missing out on important information.

    But when it comes to explaining something, I tend to put in a great deal of information that I feel is relevant to explain a general concept.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Johari/Nohari

    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche




  10. #10
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Its not Ni thats interested in details, its the Se of Ni user. And its more about fact vs made up. If you look at details, the details are facts. When you start to form an larger scale understanding of these facts/details, then its about made up big picture and possibilities. The fact/details are building blocks for made up big picture. This naturally is about S being the building block for N.

    If you look at Ni dom, their Se is rather unconscious, meaning that they mostly(depending on the level of differentation of Se) see the details in external world that are used to build an big picture image inside and even sometimes failing to see the details that they use to form the Ni view.

    For Ne users its the opposite, what is inside is seen as facts and these facts can be used to made up possibilities and big picture view on external world. Again the inferior is usually quite unconscious, so Ne doms might not be too conscious of the facts that are inside, nevertheless, those facts are projected onto the possibilities in external world.
    Yes. Great post.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Similar Threads

  1. [Ni] i had this dream on ni and ne?
    By chado in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-07-2017, 06:06 PM
  2. [Ni] Ni and clairvoyance?
    By metaphours in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 03:23 PM
  3. Ni and Fe
    By Addict_Inquiry in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 11:33 AM
  4. [Ni] Correlation between Ni and anxiety?
    By wwbeachbum161 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2008, 12:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO