• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Types better equipped to go through physical and psychological torture?

KDude

Ability to more easily separate from one's emotions.

I certainly don't think Fs would have the advantage.

I don't think emotions matter much if, like, some Joe Pesci look-a-like was squeezing my head in a vice. I'm more concerned about my eyeballs popping out of my face.

In fact, some insane emotional idealist might hold up longer than I do, if they have a cause. I personally can't think of a reason to go through that.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I've lived with mental and physical abuse (at times akin to torture) for years, and i've willingly had flesh removed from my body via skin peeling without anaesthetic. I'm INFP, on the surface, no one would say im meant to be particularly tough to these sorts of things.

Having my skin peeled off was uncomfortable but nothing i wasn't able to control. The peeling and removal was constant and lasted 2.5 hours. I don't count my scarification, as although that is a scalpel cutting an image in you, then manipulating the wounds to open them, it's not that far off of tattooing. I guess.

I'd say the persons ability to detach/disassociate and mentally control what is happening to them is more of a marker to their ability to withstand torture than possibly their type.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've lived with mental and physical abuse (at times akin to torture) for years, and i've willingly had flesh removed from my body via skin peeling without anaesthetic. I'm INFP, on the surface, no one would say im meant to be particularly tough to these sorts of things.

Having my skin peeled off was uncomfortable but nothing i wasn't able to control. The peeling and removal was constant and lasted 2.5 hours. I don't count my scarification, as although that is a scalpel cutting an image in you, then manipulating the wounds to open them, it's not that far off of tattooing. I guess.

I'd say the persons ability to detach/disassociate and mentally control what is happening to them is more of a marker to their ability to withstand torture than possibly their type.

holy shit! that's awful :cry:
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
holy shit! that's awful :cry:
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thankyou! :)

The mental and physical abuse was horrible. It was a long time ago, seems like a lifetime. Very glad i don't live with it anymore.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

I agree; I just think the entire question boils down to whether certain types tend to be better at detaching/disassociating and mentally controlling what is happening to them. So far, the most common ideas seem to be that Ni-doms, TJs, and Fi-doms might have this ability. ITPs, with Fi as their 8th function, and who are normally detached/disassociated anyway, is another interesting possibility.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You really can't detach and dissociate unless you have learned how in childhood, usually by the age of 7, in my understanding. You cannot just dissociate because you want to, or need to.

And I don't think you can have mental control to withstand torture unless you have been highly trained in doing so.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
You really can't detach and dissociate unless you have learned how in childhood, usually by the age of 7, in my understanding. You cannot just dissociate because you want to, or need to.

And I don't think you can have mental control to withstand torture unless you have been highly trained in doing so.

Good point. I grew up with domestic violence of the mental and physical kind. It taught me to switch off. Which then later on life, when my parner was abusive i endured longerthan i should have.

Being woken up 3 times a night between 1am and 4am when i would then have to get up and go to work to provide for the BOTH of us, so i could be intereogated, as - and i quoute "You cant lie to me when youre just waking up" is pretty close to a torture technique. No highly skilled training there.

I read somewhere that children who grow up in violent households have a higher pain tolerance. Perhaps I have my childhood to thank for being resilient.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I agree; I just think the entire question boils down to whether certain types tend to be better at detaching/disassociating and mentally controlling what is happening to them. So far, the most common ideas seem to be that Ni-doms, TJs, and Fi-doms might have this ability. ITPs, with Fi as their 8th function, and who are normally detached/disassociated anyway, is another interesting possibility.

The ITP does pose an interesting possibility. As to whether natural detatchment would then flow on to being something able to be controlled when under duress.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good point. I grew up with domestic violence of the mental and physical kind. It taught me to switch off. Which then later on life, when my parner was abusive i endured longerthan i should have.

Being woken up 3 times a night between 1am and 4am when i would then have to get up and go to work to provide for the BOTH of us, so i could be intereogated, as - and i quoute "You cant lie to me when youre just waking up" is pretty close to a torture technique. No highly skilled training there.

I read somewhere that children who grow up in violent households have a higher pain tolerance. Perhaps I have my childhood to thank for being resilient.

Wow. That sounds terrible. :shock: I'm sorry.

From what I understand, if you've learned how to dissociate in childhood d/t extremely abusive situations, you can then dissociate as an adult and therefore not feel pain. So those that can truly dissociate have very high pain tolerances. Once they integrate all their personalities back into one core personality, they begin to feel pain again and dissociate less.

I meant training would be needed if one could not dissociate. I suppose a victim of childhood abuse, whether they dissociated or not, would be the most likely person to withstand torture.

KDude

The ITP does pose an interesting possibility. As to whether natural detatchment would then flow on to being something able to be controlled when under duress.

I can take a hit, in addition to having dealt with violence as a child, but I still wouldn't say I endure suffering well. I've been jumped and came out laughing, but that was more like delirium and/or my unconscious way of freaking other people out. I think. If I had a choice though, I would lie my way out of getting tortured.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
My first guess, if we're going to play this ridiculous game, would be ESTJ, or maybe even ISTJ. They have a level of willpower, hardiness, and stubbornness that can transcend all conditions. The rest of the types are pansies.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My first guess, if we're going to play this ridiculous game, would be ESTJ, or maybe even ISTJ. They have a level of willpower, hardiness, and stubbornness that can transcend all conditions. The rest of the types are pansies.

Flattered.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I think that any type has the capacity and ability to go through psychological and physical torture. We humans are surprisingly resilient.

I will say this, though: the type to go through these hardships and pull through will most likely become a more mature, balanced and stronger version of their self (and, thus, representation of their type). And this state looks different from person to person.