User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Ability to more easily separate from one's emotions.

I certainly don't think Fs would have the advantage.
    I don't think emotions matter much if, like, some Joe Pesci look-a-like was squeezing my head in a vice. I'm more concerned about my eyeballs popping out of my face.

In fact, some insane emotional idealist might hold up longer than I do, if they have a cause. I personally can't think of a reason to go through that.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've lived with mental and physical abuse (at times akin to torture) for years, and i've willingly had flesh removed from my body via skin peeling without anaesthetic. I'm INFP, on the surface, no one would say im meant to be particularly tough to these sorts of things.

Having my skin peeled off was uncomfortable but nothing i wasn't able to control. The peeling and removal was constant and lasted 2.5 hours. I don't count my scarification, as although that is a scalpel cutting an image in you, then manipulating the wounds to open them, it's not that far off of tattooing. I guess.

I'd say the persons ability to detach/disassociate and mentally control what is happening to them is more of a marker to their ability to withstand torture than possibly their type.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    I've lived with mental and physical abuse (at times akin to torture) for years, and i've willingly had flesh removed from my body via skin peeling without anaesthetic. I'm INFP, on the surface, no one would say im meant to be particularly tough to these sorts of things.

Having my skin peeled off was uncomfortable but nothing i wasn't able to control. The peeling and removal was constant and lasted 2.5 hours. I don't count my scarification, as although that is a scalpel cutting an image in you, then manipulating the wounds to open them, it's not that far off of tattooing. I guess.

I'd say the persons ability to detach/disassociate and mentally control what is happening to them is more of a marker to their ability to withstand torture than possibly their type.
    holy shit! that's awful
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    holy shit! that's awful
    Thankyou!

The mental and physical abuse was horrible. It was a long time ago, seems like a lifetime. Very glad i don't live with it anymore.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I agree; I just think the entire question boils down to whether certain types tend to be better at detaching/disassociating and mentally controlling what is happening to them. So far, the most common ideas seem to be that Ni-doms, TJs, and Fi-doms might have this ability. ITPs, with Fi as their 8th function, and who are normally detached/disassociated anyway, is another interesting possibility.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

You really can't detach and dissociate unless you have learned how in childhood, usually by the age of 7, in my understanding. You cannot just dissociate because you want to, or need to.

And I don't think you can have mental control to withstand torture unless you have been highly trained in doing so.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    You really can't detach and dissociate unless you have learned how in childhood, usually by the age of 7, in my understanding. You cannot just dissociate because you want to, or need to.

And I don't think you can have mental control to withstand torture unless you have been highly trained in doing so.

Good point. I grew up with domestic violence of the mental and physical kind. It taught me to switch off. Which then later on life, when my parner was abusive i endured longerthan i should have.

Being woken up 3 times a night between 1am and 4am when i would then have to get up and go to work to provide for the BOTH of us, so i could be intereogated, as - and i quoute "You cant lie to me when youre just waking up" is pretty close to a torture technique. No highly skilled training there.

I read somewhere that children who grow up in violent households have a higher pain tolerance. Perhaps I have my childhood to thank for being resilient.

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I would say that all forms of torture are psychological.
    Yes, that's a good point. But psychological torture need not be physical. Hence, the distinction being made.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I agree; I just think the entire question boils down to whether certain types tend to be better at detaching/disassociating and mentally controlling what is happening to them. So far, the most common ideas seem to be that Ni-doms, TJs, and Fi-doms might have this ability. ITPs, with Fi as their 8th function, and who are normally detached/disassociated anyway, is another interesting possibility.

The ITP does pose an interesting possibility. As to whether natural detatchment would then flow on to being something able to be controlled when under duress.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Good point. I grew up with domestic violence of the mental and physical kind. It taught me to switch off. Which then later on life, when my parner was abusive i endured longerthan i should have.

Being woken up 3 times a night between 1am and 4am when i would then have to get up and go to work to provide for the BOTH of us, so i could be intereogated, as - and i quoute "You cant lie to me when youre just waking up" is pretty close to a torture technique. No highly skilled training there.

I read somewhere that children who grow up in violent households have a higher pain tolerance. Perhaps I have my childhood to thank for being resilient.
    Wow. That sounds terrible. I'm sorry.

From what I understand, if you've learned how to dissociate in childhood d/t extremely abusive situations, you can then dissociate as an adult and therefore not feel pain. So those that can truly dissociate have very high pain tolerances. Once they integrate all their personalities back into one core personality, they begin to feel pain again and dissociate less.

I meant training would be needed if one could not dissociate. I suppose a victim of childhood abuse, whether they dissociated or not, would be the most likely person to withstand torture.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com