User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 55

  1. #31
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I'm pretty good at taking psychological torture, not so good at physical torture.
    same here. I'd say psychologically torturing me is almost impossible actually, but physical torture makes me want to kill myself lol
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  2. #32
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Mightn't you say that their drive for self-preservation will lead them to get over it the best?
    physical torture: no
    psychological torture: yes
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  3. #33
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    I would say that all forms of torture are psychological.

  4. #34
    meinmeinmein! mmhmm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    i have no qualms in finding somebody else to take my torturee seat.
    i think i could even strike a deal, i'll send three replacements.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

  5. #35
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    I would break almost immediately. The after-effects and deformities after the torture, even if survived, are too horrifying to think about. I wouldn't want to live with the damage done for life.

    That's for physical torture. Psychological torture....that's pretty hard to do for me. Playing Taylor Swift songs on heavy repeat might do it, but then I'd be the one inflicting the physical torture.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


  6. #36
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Ability to more easily separate from one's emotions.

    I certainly don't think Fs would have the advantage.
    Three things:
    1) I don't agree that Ts are more able (an MBTI faux pas, no?) to separate from their emotions. They are just less consciously oriented towards them, which makes their personal narrative include less about them. They are no less present, though, and they have no less effect on cognition.
    2) Being focused less on emotion most of the time actually makes T types less good at processing them (on average), not more. An F type is cognitively specialized towards thinking about emotion.
    3) An F type with a strong value against breaking is likely to be more determined than a T type.

    I'm not trying to claim that F types would be better; I'm just saying it's not at all clear they'd be worse.

  7. #37
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    1) I don't agree that Ts are more able (an MBTI faux pas, no?) to separate from their emotions. They are just less consciously oriented towards them, which makes their personal narrative include less about them. They are no less present, though, and they have no less effect on cognition.
    I don't think this is true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    2) Being focused less on emotion most of the time actually makes T types less good at processing them (on average), not more. An F type is cognitively specialized towards thinking about emotion.
    While I think this is partially true, I don't think it tells the fully story.

    Fs are also far more consumed by their emotions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    3) An F type with a strong value against breaking is likely to be more determined than a T type.
    I considered this as well, and I think there's some truth to it.

    I don't know if it outweighs the other factors, though.

    Particularly in interesting cases like ITJs, who have PiFi dominant loops, and ISTPs, who are so detached from their feelings, in general.

    (I don't include INTPs, cuz, let's be real, INTPs are generally a bunch of wimps.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I'm not trying to claim that F types would be better; I'm just saying it's not at all clear they'd be worse.
    I see the point, I just don't think it's right.

    I think there's a reason why everyone's been going with T-types.

    And I did, and still would, put IFPs as probably better than NTPs (and maybe even ESTPs).

    *

    One of the odder things is that I think ISPs would be reasonably good at taking the physical torture, despite the fact that they have Se high in their functional ordering, which, in other cases (like ESPs), would make me think the person would not be suited to physical torture. I think it might be because the ISPs could go into their dominant loop, totally blocking out/negating the fact that they have auxiliary Se, and might even be able to use it for temporary (!) moments of reprieve, whereby they expunge all that physical abuse in an instant of intensity, and then go back to their introverted dominant loop. I don't think the ESPs would be able to do this in the same way; they'd be too caught up in the physical sensations. Ok, enough thinking demented thoughts about torture for the night...


  8. #38
    Member Undeclared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    MBTI
    INTp
    Posts
    63

    Default

    My mothers boyfriend was somewhat of a ridiculous control freak. We didn't really have options at the time so we moved in with him. He was very self centered and demanding. So as a child I was always forced to stand in the corner and not speak or do anything or touch the walls or slouch and basically remain lifeless for hours on end. I would be punished because of something very trivial like 'slamming a door too firmly' or 'eating someplace besides the table(even outside)' or 'being loud in the house'._. I don't know if this counts as physical abuse, but it did make me more introverted and restrained to a degree. I didn't care that much since I really do enjoy my thoughts(even the malicious ones) I would think about how fucking ignorant and barbaric this person was that I had to suffer under. I would think about why I was even at that house in the first place. I would think about what I could do to make him suffer much more than I suffered when he suppressed my thoughts with his way. I would think of elaborate plots to murder him and hide the evidence. After all that(30seconds has gone by in the corner) I just think...'Well idgaf because in reality he has the maturity of a 5 yr old who doesn't want to go to bed' and then I would shrug it off because I know better. Besides, he gave me a chance to reflect and think of more possibilities to become a better person.

  9. #39
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    (I don't include INTPs, cuz, let's be real, INTPs are generally a bunch of wimps.)
    But they don't have the Fi that would make them so firmly rooted in their ideals (which I'm presuming the torturer is trying to get them to go against). Nor do they have the Se that would get them caught up in the physical sensation and experience.

    I'd actually say INTPs would fare the best. At least during the torture. I could see how their tertiary Si could dredge up bad memories long after.

    I think there's a reason why everyone's been going with T-types.
    I think it's for the reasons described above, but I also suspect that some people automatically jump to that answer because of the "T = tough" stereotype. Or they subscribe to the belief that T's are meaner than F's, and the assumption following is - if they can dish it, obviously they can take it.

    To play the devil's advocate, I'd say that people who 'dish' it would be the worst at 'taking' it - because they purposefully dish out what they think of as painful and harmful, which may be their subjective opinion based on the reactions they've observed from others - but I think it's more likely that they're projecting what THEY themselves have been the most hurt by.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


  10. #40
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post

    To play the devil's advocate, I'd say that people who 'dish' it would be the worst at 'taking' it - because they purposefully dish out what they think of as painful and harmful, which may be their subjective opinion based on the reactions they've observed from others - but I think it's more likely that they're projecting what THEY themselves have been the most hurt by.
    Could be for some, but I think some people dish what seems to be popular to dish.... like "ignorant" or "stupid".
    Also, I think some people work strategically to dish what they think the other person would be most hurt by.
    And then, I think some people are just frustrated and venting.

    I also think that some people who dish don't hurt as much as others, because of the fact that people who subject themselves to thrashings train themselves to care less; they become hardened to it. Or, they just enjoy dishing and receiving the dishings.....

    I don't think it's that simple to determine.

    I've noticed that I don't get hurt by things people say on the internet; what I do get angry at is if I feel I have been abused and/or that I have no control over the situation. I have real issues with feeling out-of-control of my situation or my life, which a lot of times, motivates me to overdo learning, working, etc.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Similar Threads

  1. Sum up each personality type in one sentence GO!
    By KarenParker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 10-20-2017, 11:54 AM
  2. Weather & personality type: do I´s go to cold places while E´s favour beach resorts?
    By curiousel in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 02:39 PM
  3. Personality types that tend to engage in extramarital affairs?
    By curiousel in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 06:54 PM
  4. Personality types that tend to become alcoholics or drug abusers?
    By curiousel in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM
  5. Which personality types are prone to drug addiction?
    By hotmale in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO