• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the most, and the least, brand-conscious personality type?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say this is the opposite of what I assume people mean when they say "brand conscious".

But I do very much make decisions based on brand. It is more efficient. That is brand conscious. Quality is very important to me as is having the best. I'd rather have a small number of very high quality things than a large number of mediocre ones.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say this is the opposite of what I assume people mean when they say "brand conscious".

But I do very much make decisions based on brand. It is more efficient. That is brand conscious. Quality is very important to me as is having the best. I'd rather have a small number of very high quality things than a large number of mediocre ones.

INTJs are very "brand-conscious." We just don't select brands based on popularity or prestige, so much as usability and functionality. See the "INTJs; Inferior Se; and Horrible Taste in Automobiles" thread for more analysis.

"Brand" is just one piece of information among many that INTJs use to decide on a purchase. This can occasionally coincide with the most popular brands. More often, from what I've seen, it results in a tendency to look very closely at the "second-best" brands, which are often cheaper and of just-as-high or higher quality. INTJs go for quality, but heavily weigh diminishing returns in terms of price. E.g., when buying a computer, an INTJ doesn't get the most advanced CPU: he looks for where the price curve "bends" (right before it shoots up by a factor of 2x or more) and gets that one. Usually such a chip (or other technology) has been proven to be of high quality in the market, and just isn't the latest bleeding edge any more.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJs are very "brand-conscious." We just don't select brands based on popularity or prestige, so much as usability and functionality. See the "INTJs; Inferior Se; and Horrible Taste in Automobiles" thread for more analysis.

"Brand" is just one piece of information among many that INTJs use to decide on a purchase. This can occasionally coincide with the most popular brands. More often, from what I've seen, it results in a tendency to look very closely at the "second-best" brands, which are often cheaper and of just-as-high or higher quality. INTJs go for quality, but heavily weigh diminishing returns in terms of price. E.g., when buying a computer, an INTJ doesn't get the most advanced CPU: he looks for where the price curve "bends" (right before it shoots up by a factor of 2x or more) and gets that one. Usually such a chip (or other technology) has been proven to be of high quality in the market, and just isn't the latest bleeding edge any more.

Yes. I would say that captures my sentiments very well.

G

Glycerine

I would say I am brand conscious in the sense that I don't want to get cheaply made and low quality things unless it's like paper plates.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yeah, it's an interesting trend. I see it in particular from the ETJs I know... Brand conscious in this way rather than caring at all about the popularity. And if the comments from the INxPs on forums mean anything, it seems that they are the type most likely to not even acknowledge brand name or even purposely get anything other than the popular brand. I'm somewhere in between.... I don't care about the brand too much but sometimes I'll kind of use it as a shortcut because sometimes I just don't care enough to spend 2 hours comparing the qualities of 500 different choices :laugh:

But let's face it, 99% of the time I'm just going to get the cheapest thing (that gives me some sense that it's going to last long enough for whatever I need it for). I'd rather get all the things I need than a couple of really nice things that have me eating dinner off my desk or something :tongue: I wonder if, controlling for economic factors, this would relate to P/J.

Enneagram.... yep probably 3 (most) and 5 (least).

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Brand" is just one piece of information among many that smart people use to decide on a purchase. This can occasionally coincide with the most popular brands. More often, from what I've seen, it results in a tendency to look very closely at the "second-best" brands, which are often cheaper and of just-as-high or higher quality. Smart people go for quality, but heavily weigh diminishing returns in terms of price. E.g., when buying a computer, a smart person doesn't get the most advanced CPU: he looks for where the price curve "bends" (right before it shoots up by a factor of 2x or more) and gets that one. Usually such a chip (or other technology) has been proven to be of high quality in the market, and just isn't the latest bleeding edge any more.

Fixed your post. With the corrections, I entirely agree. Optimization of value for money spent = win.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Best Brand evah:

Goldbrand-Weinbrand-200ml-gross.jpg

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fixed your post. With the corrections, I entirely agree. Optimization of value for money spent = win.

I'm glad that you finally realize that "INTJ" is synonymous with "smart people." Not many non-INTJs get that. :D

Little_Sticks

Despite the supposed intelligence of INTJs, some of you seem to have not bothered to read/understand the opening post. 0.o

the most brand-conscious types would be those that are willing to pay for a brand not worrying too much for the higher price...

I'm pretty sure she/he is talking about choosing brands for the image they portray, opposite to making an economical decision. 0.o

Or if not, I guess I can LOL then.