User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 42

  1. #11
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    ADHD and/or OCD
    Not a Myers Briggs thing at all, IMHO.

    Great point. I probably have ADHD. It seems to be common among INTPs.
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousel View Post
    I have more than 90 now... In one window.
    Sick! Do you know your mbti type? What have you been searching?
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousel View Post
    and what INTP like to search for mostly?
    It starts with black hole. Then it leads to the concept of singularity. Then I wonder about supernovas. Then neutron stars and white dwarfs.
    Then I get tired and start searching for cat races, looking for a good one to buy maybe 8 years from now(!). Starts with maine coon. Then I wanna know every possible color.
    Countless subjects, really.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  2. #12
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    It starts with black hole. Then it leads to the concept of singularity. Then I wonder about supernovas. Then neutron stars and white dwarfs.
    Then I get tired and start searching for cat races, looking for a good one to buy maybe 8 years from now(!). Starts with maine coon. Then I wanna know every possible color.
    Countless subjects, really.
    I search with the exact same methods. I'll start with one thought, and end up 3 hours later, on a completely different subject, but it can be traced back to the first search.

    I think I do have ADHD, btw.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  3. #13
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curiousel View Post
    and what INTP like to search for mostly?

    It starts with searching for gluten free recipes. Then I think about celiac disease being an autoimmune disease. Then I start looking at the role of cytokines in inflammatory states. This leads to thinking about low-grade fevers being common in AI disease. Which makes me think of infectious disease. Then I wonder did people die of fevers in times past or was it the infection/secondary infection that did them in. Times past? Bubonic plague...I remember some scientist hypothesizing that it was actually an Ebola-like virus that killed off a third of Europe and not Yersinia at all. Hmm, I go and look that up...

    ...OMG, look at the time! I was supposed to have started dinner an hour ago!

    Like that.

  4. #14
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    I'm a compulsive Googler to the point where I have a hard time imagining life without it. I use Google to find information on practically everything. I search for one thing, then find an interesting link, which puts me on a tangent to search yet another topic. I supppose NPs are most prone to that.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  5. #15
    Senior Member chris1207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Probably a perceiver.

    ENXJ's google a ton of info so that we have enough to subconsciously interpolate into some underlying idea. At the same time, we'd be reluctant to quote any of it, seeing as the internet is full of bad info. We just know what's bad and what isn't through Ni, it just requires a shit-ton of data.
    "... you think deeply about stuff [that] nobody cares about and hardly anybody can understand you." ~ Peguy talking about Ni users. So true.

  6. #16
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Great point. I probably have ADHD. It seems to be common among INTPs.
    You too?! I'm the ADHD poster child!
    During my childhood ADHA was not recognized on a widespread basis at all.
    If you had it you were considered to exhibit all kinds of traits ranging from being hyperactive, being a troublemaker, being a disciplinary problem yet somehow being artistic and in a good mood for most of the time.
    My third grade teacher tried to put me in a remedial scoial studies class because she could not handle me. I was bored to death in her class so I raised Cain.
    On the second day of my "remedial social studies" class the teacher called me to his desk and candidly asked "Why are you here?" I said "Because Mrs. Lively's calss is boring and I get in trouble because I'm doing other stuff." He said "You know all the material that your class is working on. I have another class I want you to try out." I thought to myself "Oh great. Here we go. Super-remedial bad behaviour social studies! Damn it!" He walked me down the hall to the GT (gifted & talented) classroom. He introduced me to the GT teacher, a guy named Mr. Kipp. Mr. Kipp was cool. He talked to me for a minute and agreed with the other teacher to let me stay there a few days. I asked "Hey Mr. Kipp, what's my assignment so I can pass social studies." I was shocked at his answer. He said "I want you to draw a bunch of pictures that represent everything you learned about Egypt in Mrs. Lively's class." I said "Really?" I went nuts and drew about a dozen pictures with scenes representing all we learned that year about the Old Kingdom, the New Kingdom, and the Egyptian mythology that I learned on my own. Mr. Kipp took my pictures down the hall to Mrs. Lively and let her know that I'd be spending two hours each day in his class. I was so happy. Because I had that outlet, that free time each day, it made Mrs. Lively's class more bearable. I got in trouble alot less for the rest of that year.

    I went through the rest of my school years undiagnosed. My parents had resigned themselves to the fact that I was argumentative with my teachers, I was mischievous (I never tired of playing pranks of all kinds, I was terrible, along with my best friend Aaron) and I had impulse control issues. Because my parents always knew what I was studying they made it a point to talk about what they knew of the material. Those conversations saved me from being totally uninterested in my textbooks. I thin they knew I was an auditory learner. My 10th grade English teacher confirmed it, when my head was down on my desk for the whole class because I had a migraine, and she thought I was sleeping, so she asked me to recap her discussion of Bram Stoker's "Dracula." I quipped it back to her word for word. She was really cool, she said "Oh. You're an auditory learner! OK. I won't think you're sleeping in my class if you have your head down in the future." She was right. I remember my conversations with people word for word, for an unimaginably long time. My brain holds onto the details of everything, it's can be annoying because I have so much stuff to filter through, but overall I'm glad I'm wired this way. I have a solid capacity to recall most everything I've ever learned. It might have taken me 2, 3, or 4 times to learn it initially, but once I do it's mine forever. Also, my brain doesn't "turn off;" I'm constantly thinking about things, scheming, dreaming, planning, daydreaming even. Going to sleep at night is a real pain in the ass unless I am just physically exhausted, which is one of the reasons why I've loved bodybuilding my whole life.

    My first attempt at college was a disaster. I had run out if "IQ points" and actually had to sit still in class and pay attention, and read monstrous amounts of highly technical material in large boring books (I was going for a B.S. in Biology) and be ready for quizzes (Never, I was always behind) and fought tooth and nail to get B's and C's. In high school I had straight A's and a few B's. I was really pissed off. I dropped out after three years because with my grades as shitty as they were I knew I was not going to get into medical school, and I didn't want to collect water samples for the County. So, I got a job as a techie. I'd always loved computers. All those video games paid off, much to my Dad's chagrin. I got my ass kicked the first few years of my career because I had no formal training whatsoever and was working with really experienced people. Eventually I caught up. I had learned how to "use my brain the way it was wired" instead of constantly being at odds with it.

    Many years after I dropped out of college I went back to school and (barely) finished a B.S. in M.I.S. (Management Information Systems).

    When I was 31 I got stuck again as my job at the time was boring me to tears. I was taking 3-4 times the amount of time to do the work I was being asked to do because I utterly did not care to do it, and I hated my supervisor. I went to my doctor and told him what was going on. He asked me about my schooling years and I tiold him all the stuff I wrote above, not thinking it mattered. He referred me to a psychologist. I was pissed. I said "I don't need to go see a psychologist, I'm totally fucking happy with the way I am, I just can't think straight about things at times and I jump from taks to task. This is stupid. I don't want any fucking medication, I'm fine the way I am." My doctor is really cool, he knows me pretty well and calmly asked me to just "jump through that hoop" to see what the counselor said. So I went, and the guy talked to me for about half an hour, and the guy said my case was classic ADHD. He sent me back to my primary care physician, who wrote me a prescription for Ritalin. I got it filled. I took the first pill before I went to work, and twenty minutes after I took it, for the first time since I could remember, I felt like things settled the fuck down, and I could finally focus. I could SIT STILL, I've never been able to do that without an awful lot of effort. And, I could start some menial task and finish the damn thing in one shot instead doing 5 minutes of it at a time over an 8 hour period. I took Ritalin for a few years, and was then switched to Adderall XR (extender release). If I take it during the day, I am good to go at the office. Once it burns out of my system I can go home and be my usual scatter brained, hyperactive, super productive, nutty self on my weekday afternoons and on the weekends.

    Seven years after I finished my bachelor's degree I enrolled in a graduate program and 3 years later, now, I'm almost done with my master's in public administration. I'm fine with school now, I just had to wait thrity years to calm the fuck down enough to be able to sit still and read.

    I don't know why I wrote all this. I've recapped it a few times here by now. I think it's because now that I look back on it all, I realize that dealing with ADHD did interfere with me leading a normal, productive life for many years, and in many ways. I come from a military family, so there was no concept of "mental illness" or "thought disorders" - everything could be cured with enough push-ups according to my Dad. I'm at peace with it now. I truly enjoy being wired differently. It makes me who I am. But at the same time I'm glad that there is medication for it that helps me get through the parts of dealing with it that ultimately interfere with my productivity, which in some cases can result in interfering with my general sense of well being. So, if you've got it, or you think you might, don't rule out going to see a doctor or a psychologist or even a psychiatirst to talk about it. Some people can manage it without meds, counseling is a great thing - I learned alot from it. But ultimately I found myself to be much better off if I had access to ADHD meds when I needed them. To me it's not a "disorder" it's the reality that my brain, and the brain's of others like me are simply wired different. But if you've got it, there's no reason that it should interfere with you living a normal, productive life. It doesn't have to be that way.

    FWIW, two good friends of mine, an INTP and an ENTP, also have ADHD. We drive other people crazy when we get together, but we have a blast, LOLZ!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    It starts with black hole. Then it leads to the concept of singularity. Then I wonder about supernovas. Then neutron stars and white dwarfs.
    Then I get tired and start searching for cat races, looking for a good one to buy maybe 8 years from now(!). Starts with maine coon. Then I wanna know every possible color.
    Countless subjects, really.
    OMG, I almost died reading this. It's classic. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    It starts with searching for gluten free recipes. Then I think about celiac disease being an autoimmune disease. Then I start looking at the role of cytokines in inflammatory states. This leads to thinking about low-grade fevers being common in AI disease. Which makes me think of infectious disease. Then I wonder did people die of fevers in times past or was it the infection/secondary infection that did them in. Times past? Bubonic plague...I remember some scientist hypothesizing that it was actually an Ebola-like virus that killed off a third of Europe and not Yersinia at all. Hmm, I go and look that up...

    ...OMG, look at the time! I was supposed to have started dinner an hour ago!

    Like that.
    Damn clocks! Always getting in the way and shit! :yim_rolling_on_the_

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I search with the exact same methods. I'll start with one thought, and end up 3 hours later, on a completely different subject, but it can be traced back to the first search.

    I think I do have ADHD, btw.
    OMG, the blue bolded part you wrote is the part my (INFJ) wife does not "get" at all. Her and I will be talking about something, and I'll make a comment, or talk about something related, and then she asks "Where did that come from? What made you think about that? How does that relate to what we're talking about?" And then I have to explain my thinking that resulted in what I'm talking about, and then she looks at me like:
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  7. #17
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    If you have a billion bookmarks you cant use google excessively. Cause if you hadnt and still would visit a billion pages, you had to google for them anytime anew
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #18
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    @Halla74 Hey, thanks for sharing your experiences.
    I used to be in the top 15% in high school, but in College I did pretty bad too. I have a law degree. Luckily grades per se don't affect things much in my profession.
    Do you get any side effects from Ritalin and Aderall? Why did you change from Ritalin to Aderall? I ask because Aderall isn't for sale in Brazil. I might see a psychologist someday in order to get a prescription. I really need some focus. My only fear is getting addicted.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  9. #19
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    @Halla74 Hey, thanks for sharing your experiences.
    You're welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I used to be in the top 15% in high school, but in College I did pretty bad too. I have a law degree. Luckily grades per se don't affect things much in my profession.
    That's awesome you made it to, and through law school. Good for you!
    Your point about grades is relevant to all professions, I think.
    Since I've been working (17 years as a "professional") no one has ever asked me what my grade point average was in high school or college, or what my grades were in any classes. They want to know if I have a degree, and what it is in, that's it.
    The things I get asked most about when I interview are (1) to provide samples of my work, or (2) to explain how I would solve certain problems as they pertain to business analytics or project management.
    People want to know WHAT YOU CAN DO, and also HOW YOU DO IT.
    GRADES are not necessarily reflective of a person's JOB SKILLS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Do you get any side effects from Ritalin and Aderall?
    No, I do not. I tolerate both very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Why did you change from Ritalin to Aderall? I ask because Aderall isn't for sale in Brazil.
    Good question. I switched from Ritalin to Adderall because Ritalin is VERY fast acting. It is IN and OUT of your system in 4 hours or less. Over time you build a tolerance to either of these medications, as occurs with most pharmaceuticals.

    The thing I noticed with Ritalin, was that once my tolerance to it was established, I was prescribed 2 ten milligram tablets every four hours instead of one. The effect of that was that I did get more of the "kick" needed to get my brain into it a focused groove again, but there was one drawback. When Ritalin is leaving your system (well, "MY system", maybe not "YOURS" because everyone's bio-pharmacological tolerance is unique) you get a brief (10-15 minute) period of "drowsiness" until your body fires off some of its own adrenaline. With one 10 mg. tablet every four hours it was not a big deal. When my dosage was doubled, the duration of the medication stayed at four hours or less, but the amount of "fatigue" I felt when the medication was exiting my bloodstream was much more significant than when my dosage was 10 mg every fours (as needed).

    My doctor recommended Adderall because it is a blend of three amphetamine salts, each of which has a slightly different rate of absorption and half-life. So, in my case Adderall seems to stay in my system longer AND I do not feel the end of dosage "drowsiness" as I do with Ritalin. In fact, the Adderall seems to exit my bloodstream gradually enough that I don't even notice it. In my opinion (and my doctor's too) Adderall is a much "cleaner" medication than Ritalin; it is better tolerated in many ways by many people.

    I'm prescribed either instant release Adderall at 20 mg up to three times per day, or Adderall XR (extended release) at 20 mg but twice per day.
    I switch between them every few months to keep from building tolerance.
    Also, I rarely use the full dosage I'm prescribed, so one bottle lasts me more than one month.
    During the week I typically take it once soon after I wake up and have a bite to eat, and then after lunch (if needed).
    Somedays I only need one per day, it really depends on what type of work I am doing.
    Even if I take two per day it is out of my system by the time I am home and eating dinner with my family.
    Since I've been taking Adderall I don't drink coffee.
    There's no need to, it keeps my blood pressure down, and my teeth stay whiter.

    There's a third medication prescribed, called "Vyvanse." It is essentially extended release methamphetamine (brand name is "Desoxyn" or "Dexedrine" which is short for Dextro-Amphetamine). I was prescribed Desoxyn once and it was better than Ritalin, but not as effective as Adderall. It didn't work as well, nor stay in my system as long as Adderall. But again, that's how my body handled it, other people's results might very well be different. The reason I mention it is that maybe Vyvanse/Desoxyn/Dexedrine is available even if Adderall is not. If it were, I would take it over Ritalin any day, there would be no question in my book.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I might see a psychologist someday in order to get a prescription. I really need some focus. My only fear is getting addicted.
    I have taken ADHD medications for almost 7 years now. There have been times where I stopped taking them for a few months to give my body a break, and just to see how I performed without them. At some point after cessation of use my ADHD symptoms began to manifest with greater frequency/severity as when I was younger. Once I began taking the meds again everything leveled out. I've NEVER felt "dependent" or "addicted" to them. I can stop taking them on any given day and have no psychological/physical discomfort/issues; there will be a difference in my ability to focus and stay on task though - that is for certain.

    I've heard the following rule of thumb when it comes to ADHD medications:

    "If your brain really IS wired ADHD, then ADHD medications will CALM YOU DOWN, and you have little chance of getting addicted to them, because there is no "high." If a person with "normal brain circuitry" takes ADHD medications, it has a strong stimulant/upper effect, and does give them a "high" which is more prone to predisposing abuse/misuse/dependency."

    From my experience, this seems accurate.

    If you have any other questions feel free to send me a PM.

    Have a nice evening!



    -Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  10. #20
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    That's awesome you made it to, and through law school. Good for you!
    Thanks
    Your point about grades is relevant to all professions, I think.
    Since I've been working (17 years as a "professional") no one has ever asked me what my grade point average was in high school or college, or what my grades were in any classes. They want to know if I have a degree, and what it is in, that's it.
    The things I get asked most about when I interview are (1) to provide samples of my work, or (2) to explain how I would solve certain problems as they pertain to business analytics or project management.
    People want to know WHAT YOU CAN DO, and also HOW YOU DO IT.
    GRADES are not necessarily reflective of a person's JOB SKILLS.
    I'm happy for you. Yes, it is shouldn't be a significant factor. The fact a person didn't bother enough to get good grades for himself doesn't mean this person won't dedicate when there's something meaningful at stake.
    Thanks for the med advices, it will help a lot! I will see what I can find here.
    Nice evening to you too, buddy.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

Similar Threads

  1. What personality type loves to create databases, lists of various things.
    By curiousel in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 09:17 PM
  2. what personality type likes to kill cougars and make ear rings out of their nails?
    By INTP in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 08:35 AM
  3. Personality types that tend to engage in extramarital affairs?
    By curiousel in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 06:54 PM
  4. What personality types tend to cheat on exams?
    By curiousel in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 01:57 PM
  5. What personality type would find easier to be a professional TORTURER?
    By curiousel in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO