• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Role of Shadow Functions in MBTi Type

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Although I have read a little bit about the role of the shadow functions, this reading has been limited to only insignificantly small blurbs on the internet, as I have actually not yet had the opportunity to get my hands on any professional literature dealing with this subject (such as Lenore Thomson's book).

For those who have had the opportunity to research this, what precisely are the theorized functions of a type's shadow functions? Take INTP for example. What is the specific role that the 5th (Te), 6th (Ni), 7th (Se), and 8th (Fi) functions?

Feel free to explain in great detail.
There is no brown in the rainbow.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Commitment is scary.
Yes.
It is borders insanity, too.

In which box is the cat?
Wrong question.
Why?

Object does not subject.
Why?
The object does not look back.
You do.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Because you can only choose one?

How can we attract the cat from the box to us...?
Point counter point.

Look at the night sky.
It is behind you.

You are ahead of the night sky?
No.

And why not?

Is what is possible?
Possible is what is not.

wolfy

awsm
Reflections

Point counter point.

Look at the night sky.
It is behind you.

You are ahead of the night sky?
No.

And why not?

Is what is possible?
Possible is what is not.

The moon shines brightly.
The dark side.
Dimly.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
All hai-ing ku aside,

The Roles of the Processes:

The Leading Role (Dominant) (sometimes referred to as the 1st function)
The process that plays the leading role is the one that usually develops early in childhood. We tend to engage in this process first, trusting it to solve our problems and help us be successful. Being the most trusted and most used, it usually has an adult, mature quality to it. While we are likely to engage in it rather automatically and effortlessly, we have much more conscious control over it. The energy cost for using it is very low. Much like in the movies, the leading role has a heroic quality as using it can get us out of difficult situations. However, we can sometimes “turn up the volume” on this process and become overbearing and domineering. Then it takes on a negative dominating quality.

The Supporting Role (Auxiliary) (sometimes referred to as the 2nd function)
The supporting role is how we are helpful to others as well as supportive of ourselves. Once we have developed some facility with our leading role process, we are more likely to feel comfortable engaging in our supporting role process. In its most positive form, this can be quite like a nurturing parent. In its more negative aspect, it can be overprotective and stunting rather than helpful. When the leading role process is an extraverted one, the supporting role process is introverted. When the leading role process is an introverted one, the supporting role process is extraverted and may be quite active and visible as it provides a way of dealing with the outer world.

The Relief Role (Tertiary) (sometimes referred to as the 3rd function)
The relief role gives us a way to energize and recharge ourselves. It serves as a backup to the supporting role and often works in tandem with it. When we are younger, we might not engage in the process that plays this role very much unless our life circumstances require it or make it hard to use the supporting role process. Usually, in young adulthood we are attracted to activities that draw upon this process. The relief role often is how we express our creativity. It is how we are playful and childlike. In its most negative expression, this is how we become childish. Then it has an unsettling quality, and we can use this process to distract ourselves and others, getting us off target.

The Aspirational Role (Inferior) (sometimes referred to as the 4th function)
The aspirational role usually doesn’t develop until around midlife. We often experience it first in its negative aspect of projecting our “shoulds,” fears, and negativities onto others. The qualities of these fears reflect the process that plays this role, and we are more likely to look immature when we engage in the process that plays this role. There is often a fairly high energy cost for using it—even when we acquire the skill to do so. As we learn to trust it and develop it, the aspirational role process provides a bridge to balance in our lives. Often our sense of purpose, inspiration, and ideals have the qualities of the process that plays this role.

The Opposing Role (sometimes referred to as the 5th function)
The opposing role is often how we get stubborn and argumentative—refusing to “play” and join in whatever is going on at the time. It might be easy for us to develop skill in the process that plays this role, but we are likely to be more narrow in our application of this skill, and it will likely take more energy to use it extensively. In its positive aspect, it provides a shadow or depth to our leading role process, backing it up and enabling us to be more persistent in pursuit of our goals.

The Critical Parent Role (sometimes referred to as the 6th function)
The critical parent role is how we find weak spots and can immobilize and demoralize others. We can also feel this way when others use the process that plays this role. It is often used sporadically and emerges more often under stressful conditions when something important is at risk. When we engage it, we can go on and on. To access its positive side of discovery, we must learn to appreciate and be open to it. Then it has an almost magical quality and can provide a profound sense of wisdom.

The Deceiving Role (sometimes referred to as the 7th function)
The deceiving role fools us into thinking something is important to do or pay attention to. The process that fills this role is often not trusted or seen as worthy of attention, for when we do engage it, we may make mistakes in perception or in decision making. Then we feel double bound—trapped between two bad options. Yet this role can have a positive side as it provides comic relief. Then we can laugh at ourselves. It can be refreshing and join with the relief role as we recharge ourselves through play.

The Devilish Role (sometimes referred to as the 8th function)
The devilish role can be quite negative. Using the process that plays this role, we might become destructive of ourselves or others. Actions (or inactions) taken when we engage in the process that plays this role are often regretted later. Usually, we are unaware of how to use the process that fills this role and feel like it just erupts and imposes itself rather unconsciously. Yet when we are open to the process that plays the devilish role, it becomes transformative. It gives us the impetus to create something new—to make lemonade out of lemons, rather than lament their sourness.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To drag this old thread up, I disagree with the fact that somehow the strength of the funtion (which then often still gets tested through cognitive testing which are not exactly reliable) has something to do with the order of the function.

I mean, if you look at my results, my Ni and Fe are second to my Ne and Fi. That however doesn't mean that I indulge in Fe to find relief, far from it.

I'd say that every function has its part to play in your personality, and within that role it can be stronger or harder to use, depending on what circumstances you encountered in your past.

I've found the function order to be illuminating when it comes to deciding on my type, becoz I was confused before as to which was stronger. Due to the fact that so many of my functions test equally strong, I was conflicted. Asking myself however which function bails me out of a jam successfully *every time* was easy. And showed me to be Ne-dom. Just as asking myself how I reach out to people and love them was easy, revealing Fi as my parent. It also explains my reasonably limited but still good control over Fe while having such issues with it, as well as why Ti-users just make me feel stupid. And why I do not have the same issue with Ni as I do with Fe. Lastly, it revealed to me that although I thoroughly enjoy Se, I really oughtto watch it, as I have absolutely NO control over it.

sculpting

As for the OP....Your shadows walk with you every day, beside you and around. All the things you despise in that other person? That is you, not them. Those are things you hide within yourself and refuse to acknowledge as being you.

Think of yourself as a complex equation but rather than being part "real" and part "imaginary", each function is part ego and part shadow. Those bad behaviors you exhibit under stress or in pain-utterly tainted with shadows...except they feel like you or they look like flaws in the other person...it is all their fault, not yours....or you are horribly flawed or some such nonsense.

I mean, if you look at my results, my Ni and Fe are second to my Ne and Fi. That however doesn't mean that I indulge in Fe to find relief, far from it.

Satine-wrt to Fe- are you really "using Fe" or are you building a list of behaviors that look like Fe on the surface? I recall you grew up with a family of Fe users, thus learned a lot of Fe stuff early.

My little toddler INTJ learns "Fe-isms". He learns social rules, social mannerisms as Te facts. He builds a little library and then just uses that to interact. I see many INTJs do this, including a few here.

I have been trying this approach and it is very difficult...it drains me as I am trying to use Te to execute behaviors that are contrary to Fi-thus it results in FAIL.

However over the past six months I have sorta figured out how to dip into a mindest that "Gets it"-Fe. I cant explain why, and I have to walk away from "me", but once in this mode, it is very relaxing and very energy conserving-but I have to choose very consciously to walk into that mindset. I care deeply for the other person-but I dont have to feel their pain. In this mode, my innate choice of words-the innate way I phrase things is also altered.

It's weird. But I am starting to get it.

himynameisdead

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
9w8
what's weird is my strongest function is Ni, followed by Ne, then Fe/Ti, Fi, Si, Se, then Te being my worst. All are in good use up to Si. Ni and Ne are in excellent.