• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typology is Pointless

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone else think that MBTI, JCF, enneagram, Socionics, and all that inbetween is a complete bunch of bull shit?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone else think that MBTI, JCF, enneagram, Socionics, and all that inbetween is a complete bunch of bull shit?

To a degree yes, to a degree no. I've noticed how people of a similar type tend to give off a certian vibe of sorts. MaleINTJs, Female ISFPS, Female INTPs Male INTPS and ENFJs are some examples.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is no knowledge that is not power.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:solidarity:

If it seems pointless then you have done something wrong/ haven't found the point yet.

"Complete bunch of BS"? Trying to take it as something scientific? :thelook:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
By your own criteria, check out all of that BS in your signature. ;)

KDude

It's vaguely helpful. Try not to have high expectations and/or substitute it in place understanding people on their own (individual) terms, and it probably won't be "pointless". MBTI never sold itself as much more than that. People seem to forget that Myers repeatedly used the word "preferences" when describing functions. Like Se/Ti/Ne/etc is like a compass pointing in a general direction. It doesn't mean a specific destination and what exactly you will be doing, where you will be sitting, who you will be talking to, and what your dog's name is.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pointless sometimes, useful sometimes, harmful sometimes. Accurate sometimes, inaccurate sometimes. Complete BS, no, I'd disagree with that.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ah, ironically fallen into an Fi trap. No, I do not believe so.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think typoogy is complete bullshit, but nearly so. Especially when people ask questions like 'is condition x associated with a certain type?'
Glad some of you thik it's useful, though. I guess. Useful for what, I'm not sure.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
our understanding of typology is more often on the bullshit side than not. and there is only this understanding. a typology outside of understanding does not exist. the types do exist outside of or understanding, the typology not. (types are made out of patterns of intelligence, typology is made out of concepts, words, logic, abstractions, mental pictues, memories, associations).

its therefore wise to sepparate ones evolving understanding of typology from ones understanding of any current affair in one's live. the understanding of typology is like a fruit and it's useless while it's growing. using it at this stage is dysfunctional. intoxicating. it will fall, when it's ripe, meaning it will come to an end as a mental conceptual understanding (words, logic and so on) and become intuitive immediate wordless knowing of the actual types. the undersanding is like a scaffold, allowing you to climb onto the building of type and then to experience the actual structure from within. once you are within and one with it, the scaffold shall fall apart. this process is the same for the conquest of one's own type as it is for getting in touch with the types of others, as empathy is just like the self, it's not theoretical understanding but alive immediate knowing/being on with, it's made out of the same aliveness which constitues the own self, just look at your dream-characters. you are used to know other types from the outside, like dreamcharacters, then understanding can allow you to enter them and be them (virtually, empathically, not saying you can live their lives). but you can only enter them, as lving selves, not your understanding of them. the understanding (words and so on) never really becomes alive, it has no inside or self.

Jaguar

Jesus Christ not again, do you people know what a troll thread even is?

The above quote is from another thread you started. Since you freely admit you created a thread to troll, I don't take your threads seriously - including this one.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it IS pointless if you're not good at it. like many things.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
everyone seems to think they are good at it. i don't think they are and i don't think i am. i think i suck at it, but i suck at a much deeper level than most :D
and the amazing thing is, that this monster works for me, despite all the suckiness, it's twisted confusion.
it's not about getting it right, but about going deep.
depth is defined as complexity. complexity is not volume, it's structure, it's inter-inked, thus creating levels.
the monster works, as an information mapping and processing matrix, even if its wrapped, twisted and torched. and it grows.
i never know what i am looking at (in certain conceptual terms), because the twisted folded matrix creates all those mirror images of everything, but nevertheless i perceive shapes, that would have been invisible or indistinctive before i grew the matrix. shapes inside of me. and once i become aware of them, i can live through them. or come up with meaningfull ways of responding to the shapes in other people. i don't have to know what i am looking at, what i am living, but i have to become aware of the distinct possibility of doing so. call it stupidity, but it nevertheless has it's own live and evolution and meaning and in that is not different from this mythological clarity and rightness of insight, which has never been achieved by anone.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Er, didn't you renounce from typology before? If you're re-renouncing, you could use that thread to announce it... :huh:

nanook

a scream in a vortex
>Er, didn't you renounce from typology before?

you mean me? that thread of mine, about how typology has become a problem (meanign "a challenge", a struggle for solution/clarity) of my soul was misunderstood by most people, because they can't relate to it. it's wasn't a "critique" of typology at all and certainly not a renounciation, if thats a word. i was just illustrating how typology has a different meaning and mechanism/function in one's live, when seen through the soul (the entire intelligence, including the right brain if you want) instead of just through the rational mind. i'm typologies biggest fan and all of my posts are love letters (including those in this thread)

or you probably didn't mean me. well ..