User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Question What function(s) cause daydreaming?

I'm going to talk about daydreaming. But I want to point out that there is no visual aspect in what I am describing. It is all audible. The people in my daydream talk back, but I never confuse their words for being audible. Many times I am talking out loud to myself (I do not make voices for other people in the daydream), other times I am having the conversation in my mind. Thoughts are always in conversational form.

It begins instinctually never consciously. Sometimes I don't even realize I am doing it until I'm half way through a daydream. I will continue even after I am consciously aware of what is going on.

I very rarely speak out loud when others are in the room, although I will go through the daydream internally in the presence of others. Sometimes my lips are moving, but if I notice I consciously stop them from moving and continue on my daydream.

I want to describe how and when this occurs.

When I'm learning something I consume information. I think about the information I'm reading and try to form an understanding of it. When I feel I have grasped the information I generally go into daydream mode. The daydream will generally consist of me having a conversation with someone, or a group of people. In the daydream I assume the role of an expert even though I just learned the information.

Changing …

Before certain events I do the same thing where I daydream an entire scenario before I encounter it. Say I'm going on a job interview. I will enter a daydream where I am interacting with the person having the interview. When I was younger I remember doing this before I would ask a girl. Often times unconsciously I feel this internal interaction is enough and I never actually follow through with the experience.

Changing …

When I am watching something like a movie, the news, or reading a fiction book. I may go into daydream mode and relive the scene. If it was something like the news I will daydream that I am in a position of power where I can actually make a change. Again it is conversational form, perhaps I'm giving a press conference or perhaps I'm sitting with other government officials and I am telling them what I want to happen.

I can continue but I think you have gotten the point by now. What function(s) are being used here? Or does this go far beyond function theory?

MBTI
    INTP

I want to add two more things. I do this very frequently throughout the day. Let's say 5 - 10 times per day. I have already done it with this thread. I have already talked to you all in my mind regarding this issue. Which is how I came to want to write the following.

One more example. After I have an interaction with someone I will often times relive that interaction saying and doing things differently (i.e. better).

Riva

In my experience IxxPs are the most likely to day dream.
    Introverted judging functions make one has to make their own judgments of everything.
    It cannot accept pre-existing standards. (Ti and Fi doms.)
    It has to make its own judgments.
    Therefore most of the time they appear to be day dreaming.
    They are not actually day dreaming but putting the pieces together to come up with their own conclusions.
    This is actually quite smart.
    But also consumes time and a considerable amount of day dreaming.

Introverted perceivers would find it easy to accept pre-existing standards. (Mainly Si doms.)
    Thus decisions come easier for them.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Ne? Fi?

infp?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm a major daydreamer- it's how I process things- but not like what you're saying. Mine are mostly visual. Learning causes it to a major degree. I just like to stare out the window and see a bunch of pictures in my head and doodle as I am supposed to be "focusing". After renewing my CPR recert for the next three days I picture everyone around me having these major catastrophes requiring my assistance. Bleeding from the aorta and bullet wounds and drowning etc. I actually sleep dream a lot too, and need a lot of sleep. Only downfall is that this thought process is very time consuming. It sounds NFP a bit to me, I think of those cartoon characters and TV characters that are always going off on mental tangents while things are happening (That Dorian guy from Scrubs, Peter Griffin, Snoopy, etc.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Not everything is function related
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not 100% confident of my type. Various online quizzes categorize me as an INTP.

I'm interested in the function aspect. A first glance I would say what I am doing is thinking, albeit in conversational form. But from my little understanding of the functions (I'm actively working towards increasing my understanding) Ti deals with judgement so wouldn't my daydreams stem from a perceiving function?

Intuition makes the most sense. I'm wondering whether or not this intuition would be introverted or extroverted. If INTP is correct then it would be Ne but since daydreaming is an introverted activity wouldn't it make more sense that I would be using Ni?

But since I am thinking in conversational form aren't I making decisions inside my daydream? So wouldn't that also indicate some sort of judging function is involved?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Ni daydreaming is focused, deep, imo.

Ti isn't daydreaming unless you are figuring out how to fix something. Or how to make a system or construct work.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I was totally going to guess INTP for you. (but I've been keeping a lot of those to myself lately...)

Any functions can relate to daydreaming, but your sort of creating hypothetical models for further refinement of knowledge says TiNe to me. I'm tempted to call daydreaming as an effect of any introverted function meeting intuiton, but I'm not so sure the functions work that way.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Ne for sure - extroverted intuition. I don't know about the others.

I would be surprised if Ni daydreams for long because it is attached to Fe or Te, and my impression was that those functions get impatient with daydreaming.

I had the impression S types don't tend to daydream, but I could be wrong.