User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

I walk incredibly slowly, will stop and ponder. I like to see the art work from afar then move in closely to see if there are multiple meanings in the work. I may focus on a particular detail or place myself in the artists shoes so i can try and witness what he/she saw. Someone may see a stroke of the brush but i'm looking for the meaning/emotion attached to the brush stroke. I thoroughly enjoyed being in the National Gallery in Scotland and i'd go back again.

I remember when my ex took me to see the 'Voice of Fire' in Ottawa. For $1.8 million (back in 1989) i was expecting something spectacular and it was incredibly disappointing. I was looking at the canvas from the side and security politely yet firmly told me to step away. Oppss.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by curiousel View Post
    kind of
    well? wanna elaborate?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I walk incredibly slowly, will stop and ponder. I like to see the art work from afar then move in closely to see if there are multiple meanings in the work. I may focus on a particular detail or place myself in the artists shoes so i can try and witness what he/she saw. Someone may see a stroke of the brush but i'm looking for the meaning/emotion attached to the brush stroke. I thoroughly enjoyed being in the National Gallery in Scotland and i'd go back again.

I remember when my ex took me to see the 'Voice of Fire' in Ottawa. For $1.8 million (back in 1989) i was expecting something spectacular and it was incredibly disappointing. I was looking at the canvas from the side and security politely yet firmly told me to step away. Oppss.
    Ohhh... I saw Voice(s?) of Fire years ago... LAME! I don't know if you're aware but there was a hue and cry across the country when the government purchased it. I think they also bought something equally boring and expensive from the same guy. Some farmer on the Prairies did a copy of it on the side of his barn just to show that he could.

Canadians can be pretty pretentious about that kind of stuff though. They want to prove that they're world-class and refined and just make themselves look silly, small-time and pretentious.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

For starters, I've never really been a museum person; I tend to have a very short attention span when it comes to my remaining interested/engaged in what the museum is about - usually about an hour. So museums tend to be on the bottom of my to-do list in whatever city I'm in or traveling through.

With art museums, I generally just leisurely walk down the aisles/glance at everything, but don't often stop for a closer look -- mostly because I'm interested in an item as a whole and if I'm not drawn to it, I'm not drawn to it. Of the ones that draw me in or that I immediately appreciate, it may be due to the theme/aesthetics of it, and/or technical skill, so with those I will go in for a closer look and if especially struck by it, I'll then read any blurb about the artist/the piece. But I don't make it a point to try to 'understand' each piece, nor do I feel the need to try to appreciate each and every piece -- I tend to dislike much of the art I see, for one reason or another.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I don't go to museums often, but when I do, I make the most of it. I'll go at a medium clip, but I'm pretty anal about being sure to look at every single piece in the room. I'm not above snarking at the ones that don't impress me to the people I go with, but sometimes I'll just see that one piece that makes me stop in my tracks. Then I'll spend forever trying to suck in the atmosphere of it, the thoughts behind it, all the little technicals details and the movement that make it what it is. This happens particularly often with surrealistic pieces. I appreciate abstract art, but surrealism is what really appeals to me.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Ohhh... I saw Voice(s?) of Fire years ago... LAME! I don't know if you're aware but there was a hue and cry across the country when the government purchased it. I think they also bought something equally boring and expensive from the same guy. Some farmer on the Prairies did a copy of it on the side of his barn just to show that he could.

Canadians can be pretty pretentious about that kind of stuff though. They want to prove that they're world-class and refined and just make themselves look silly, small-time and pretentious.
    Canadians are world class for peace-keeping in conflict zones, they don't need a huge painting of 3 strips to prove it
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Canadians are world class for peace-keeping in conflict zones, they don't need a huge painting of 3 strips to prove it
    Oh yeah, there are lots of things we're good at, but when we're delusional, we can be VERY delusional
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTp

I notice the way walls are shaped along with the walkways, as opposed to the placement of the paintings, their overall main color(if any), and the colors surrounding the painting(colors of the wall). If I have scaled the entire area I try to get an idea of the most abundant color displayed at the gallery(color of paintings,walls, all)and then use that color in my head to create a tye dyish kind of spiral picture, which I would then imagine on a shirt as a design. As a I look at this psuedo-gallery of a shirt I think to myself.....wow....what a fucking awesome shirt! xD

So basically I just try to think of something artistic while staring at a varying amount of different pieces that need to be appreciated properly. By declaring not to identify them as "who painted them" or "what the exhibits overall features are", you are not fully understanding why the pictures are in the gallery in the first place.

They are not just part of some bland gallery that "isn't comprehensive enough to cater a collection of all tastes", but as unique creations of someone else's mind that can be imprinted into yours. It's a mental fax machine in a sense.......It's beautiful to see other peoples faxes.

edit: I'm intp by the way

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

How do you move in the museum, at what pace,...

I tend to go at a fairly fast pace. I don't spend a whole of time looking at each painting, sculpture, etc. unless it really catches my eye or intrigues me in some way.

How do you look at the paintings, what are you looking at/for? please give detailed description of you interaction with the paintings... What are you thinking about, how much time do you spend appreciating them?

I take the painting in as a whole. I don't focus on smaller details unless the painting happens to intrigue me in some way. I also like paintings that have some originality to them, something I don't see everyday.

I think about how the painting inspires a sense of awe and wonder. I think about how talented the artist is to come up with something like that.

If its a painting I really like, I'll look at it for a couple of minutes and take it in. Otherwise, I tend to just glance at paintings in a matter of seconds.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I move slowly in the museum and I'm sure to spend time on each piece. If there's any info beside the piece I'll read it, else I'll look at colors used, the brush technique on paintings (did they use fast strong strokes, small careful ones) and any symbolism I can think of that ties in with the work.