User Tag List

12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Type talk rankings on MBTIc

Not too long ago, I thought of ENTP having become some catch-all category for half the personality traits out there. I was starting to wonder if people lacked the imagination to think of the other types.

So I did a small search, with google searches like ISFJ site:www.typologycentral.com, times 16 for each of the types. This is what I found.

INTP 4420
    INTJ 4100
    INFJ 3580
    ENTP 3380
    INFP 3340
    ENFP 2750
    ISTJ 1780
    ENTJ 1730
    ENFJ 1730
    ISTP 1700
    ESTP 1010
    ESFJ 973
    ISFJ 956
    ISFP 778
    ESTJ 732
    ESFP 685

If there's a trait or habit to be discussed, say, the habit of eating a whole birthday cake and feeling ill afterwards, what types would come up most often in the discussion? I predict those that are talked most often.

It's hard to de-bias this without knowing many of the rare types in here, especially the sensors who hold *7* places in the list of least-mentioned types in here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I have no idea what conclusions to draw from this, but I sure like the stats
    What does it imply? That MBTI is overcrowded with the ever self-centered INTP's? Or that they are the most fascinating and thus most discussed type? And do those questions answer the question?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

So what you're suggesting is that the more people talk about a given type, the more likely a lot of people who proclaim they are a different type to it are actually the type they talk a lot about. Or at least ISFJ is most on others' minds, much like Six is in the Enneagram at EIDB.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    So what you're suggesting is that the more people talk about a given type, the more likely a lot of people who proclaim they are a different type to it are actually the type they talk a lot about. Or at least ISFJ is most on others' minds, much like Six is in the Enneagram at EIDB.
    I think that decision to proclaim oneself of certain type is a more serious one, something that is not that dependent on the amount of discussion on the subject.

Instead, I'm suggesting that people tend to suggest the much-spoken types for polls such as "who's the sexiest", "who eats most birthday cake" etc, more than they suggest the less-spoken types.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Your results will be skewed by that section to the left and thread titles.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Your results will be skewed by that section to the left and thread titles.
    Well, type titled threads include talk about the type in question. The left section gives a distortion in the form of user activity, tho.

I did another search: MBTIc's internal search for posts with keyword. Results:

intp 6888
    intj 6699
    infj 4656
    infp 4400
    enfp 3690
    entp 3684
    istj 2587
    entj 2473
    enfj 2434
    istp 2364
    isfj 1946
    estp 1879
    estj 1696
    esfj 1696
    esfp 1588
    isfp 1337

Again the same 7 S at the bottom, with INTJ taking INTP's top position INTP at the top again.
    Last edited by UnitOfPopulation; 04-15-2008 at 03:48 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Entire post includes titles.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTP

Wait... Santtu... isn't 6,699 < 6,888?

Yeah, the Sensors are far more common than Intuitives (The Myers and Briggs estimated it was almost a 3-to-1 margin), it's just that Intuitives are more likely to show up here because Sensors don't tend to be interested in relatively abstract things such as personality type (especially Artisans). Part of it might also be that Guardians in particular are somewhat alienated by this community; you know, they're usually the people that respond to every nice comment made and make sure they add a smiley (especially the SFJs), and this forum just really isn't like that.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
    Wait... Santtu... isn't 6,699 < 6,888?
    Oh good catch, sloppy me. Fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
    Yeah, the Sensors are far more common than Intuitives (The Myers and Briggs estimated it was almost a 3-to-1 margin), it's just that Intuitives are more likely to show up here because Sensors don't tend to be interested in relatively abstract things such as personality type (especially Artisans). Part of it might also be that Guardians in particular are somewhat alienated by this community;
    Yeah the over-representation of IN on this forum is a background factor. But as seen from the types being talked about, people mostly talk about the types being present in here, other types being relatively forgotten

Knowledge about the qualities of ESFP isn't very widespread in here (collectively, we just know they like to dance or something ), so they don't often become the topic of a discussion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Well, type titled threads include talk about the type in question. The left section gives a distortion in the form of user activity, tho.
    Not necessarily; it could indicate that an abnormally high proportion of people who have joined the forum and who don't post here or who once posted here thought themselves ISFJ, when they're clearly not.