User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 88

  1. #71
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Oooh perspective shift....

    But then the question remains of what is the nature of this theoretical obnoxiousness that is acting as the Ni repellant. Too many questions? (If I don't get an answer to this I have a good sense of my answer )
    From my experience growing up with a pair of Ni dom/aux parents: in general, we didn't have much trouble understanding each other, but they're teachers so that helped. What they usually had problems with was the fact that I would often take small things out of context and run with them on my own tangents just because I thought they were interesting, and forget, in the process, to grasp the entirety of the thought they'd expressed.

    In turn, they sometimes wondered why I had such a circuitous way of doing things and just wanted me to get to the point and I was like, "Look, I'm trying to fit all these cool and totally relevant things into my schema, and I'm interested in them, so let me finish before you decide for me what I should be focussing on, will you?! I AM BEING OPPRESSED, WAAH."

  2. #72
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    From my experience growing up with a pair of Ni dom/aux parents: in general, we didn't have much trouble understanding each other...
    I agree, I think we do tend to understand each other pretty well.

    That's why, when people start talking about "I can't see this person's Ni/Ne/Si/Se/yada yada", I'm like, I dunno if that's the best language to describe it... I think we get each other a lot of the time; our brains/minds just function differently. @Orobas

    Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    ...but they're teachers so that helped.
    Well, when it comes to Ni and Ne, isn't that just a tautology?



    Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    What they usually had problems with was the fact that I would often take small things out of context and run with them on my own tangents just because I thought they were interesting, and forget, in the process, to grasp the entirety of the thought they'd expressed.
    Yup, that's the main one.

    The other annoying one, which has been described above as well (I believe by Giegs), is when we go in-depth about a matter, not just normal-analysis mode, but our real in-depth, at-our-best stuff, and you guys seem to have no idea what we're talking about. It's like, "Dude... this is my best shit right here! You think I'm smart cuz of all the normal stuff we talk about, but for Christ's sake! This is THE BEST SHIT I have to offer! And you don't even get it!!!" Haha, yeah, as you can see, that one's frustrating. But, now that I think about it, they're probably just manifestations of the same underlying issue: just, in this case, when we're going really in depth into something, like in the previous example, you guys keep firing away on a thousand different paths, and it utterly confuses you, but now, there's probably that much more material for you to go off on. It makes us feel like you guys don't really seem to understand how to dive deep into the issue, at least not in the way or with the language that we use to do so. That's the weird part, though. Cuz I don't think you guys lack depth. I think NFPs have Fi depth and NTPs have Ti depth. It's just, for whatever reason, I dunno, maybe it's the language used, you guys just don't seem to get our depth. Maybe Fi and Ti can't translate Ni, and when you try to use Ne to translate, it only does so partially, before it runs off and does what it does, chasing some offshoot of the explanation we're diving deeply into.

    *sounds of Ne'ers footsteps running in a thousand different directions*

    Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    In turn, they sometimes wondered why I had such a circuitous way of doing things and just wanted me to get to the point and I was like, "Look, I'm trying to fit all these cool and totally relevant things into my schema, and I'm interested in them, so let me finish before you decide for me what I should be focussing on, will you?! I AM BEING OPPRESSED, WAAH."

  3. #73
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    @senza_tema, I bet you are well aware of the Ni tendency to beat the dead horse, huh?

  4. #74
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default


  5. #75
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default


  6. #76
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    / thread

  7. #77
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    @senza_tema, I bet you are well aware of the Ni tendency to beat the dead horse, huh?


    Am I ever.

    I don't want to overstate the frustration though because it's really only occasional. I have enlightening and fruitful conversations with you folks more often than not.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    / thread
    OMG, I'M NOT DONE YET, THERE ARE SEVERAL FACTORS OF VAST IMPORTANCE THAT WE HAVEN'T EVEN BEGUN TO CONSIDER.

  8. #78
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    While I am analyzing the first few possibilities, Ne users will come up w/ 20 more. lol
    Yea the slowness of Ni is pain in the ass when trying to brainstorm with Ni dom. I have gone miles ahead then suddwnly realize that i lost Ni guy somewhere and need to head back looking at him and he is still pondering the first question and wont stop doing so, so i keep telling him to drop it and that i already figured that it doesent fit..
    So at least with my INTJ friend it usually ends up me explaining to him why the things i have thought ages ago wont work, him being stubborn and not believing me. Or me figuring out something and him not being able to understand, because hes still thinking about the basics.. Not saying that he is stupid and cant offer anything, but his methodology is too slow for brainstorming, unless hes the expert and im the noob at the subject.

    ENTP is much more fun with this
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  9. #79
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post


    Am I ever.

    I don't want to overstate the frustration though because it's really only occasional. I have enlightening and fruitful conversations with you folks more often than not.
    haha, I was just trying to even out the playing field a bit so it's all good. I see it as much of a downside as the hydra effect. hydra + a dead horse= a wonderful combo.

  10. #80
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    So it's



    vs



    I am familiar with the hydra effect both from inside the hydra (in discussions I'm struggling to juggle all those balls because it's not so much mindless hopping around as it is trying to control an ever expanding net of interrelated thoughts and aspects with Ti being out for the logical basis for Ne's instinctual association. i.e. Ne senses a link between two things and Ti looks at WTF the structural parallel between them is ...and usually finds something!!) and outside of it (during conversations with other Ne users the juggling goes on, only this time I am trying to respond to several points the other one made without losing sight of the different balls while I still of associations of my own going on...it can get complicated )

    That being said. I do admire Ni's capacity for concentration and air of seriousness. They stick to their points like barnacles. That and your average J's voice of conviction ("It's like this, period.") can be intimidating at times but it can also blind them to alternative approaches.

    All in all I find Ni users to be interesting partners for conversation. The only thing that will drive me crazy is the combined double punch result of Te's annoying disregard for solid definitions and Ni's infamous perspective shift: they say A, you disprove A and they suddenly twist the definition of A (or it turns out they never had it clearly defined to begin with!) to weasle their way out. Or you say B and they get hung up on one partial aspect of B but do not manage to see it in a broader, more holistic context (I said "x is a bit like y in that bla bla bla", not "x equals y", so get over it already! *sigh*).
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. Ni vs Ne Humor
    By Glycerine in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 199
    Last Post: 04-10-2017, 10:02 AM
  2. Video: Introverted Intuition vs Extraverted Intuition (Ni vs Ne)
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2014, 11:47 PM
  3. Si vs Se / Ni vs Ne
    By Ribonuke in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 12:30 PM
  4. Ni vs Ne Explained!
    By Doctorjuice in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 07:05 AM
  5. [JCF] Detemine Function Questions: Ni vs. Ne
    By TacEight in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 05:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO