• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What causes us to prefer Thinking or Feeling?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Considering that we all use both thinking and feeling to some degree, what makes us prefer one value set over the other? Is it biological? Neurological? Psychological? Due to experiences? Nature vs. Nurture? Social?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do believe there's some connection with hormones. Someone already made these associations, which seems accurate imo.
mbtihormones.jpg

The list does not cover functions, but groups. When dealing with SPs and SJs, the T and F factors are pretty much ignored.
I'm a mere amateur, but I bet it works more or less like this:
Si/Ni=serotonin
Se/Ne=dopamine
Fi/Fe=estrogen dominance
Te/Ti=testosterone dominance

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
It's very much genetic imho.

rav3n

[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION], have you seen this article about a study on the correlation between testosterone and aggression?

It's interesting since it sheds a different light onto the effects of testosterone on humans.

A

Anew Leaf

I agree that it is primarily genetic. When I think of myself as a very young child I see pure Fi.

My dad is off the charts T and he always tried curbing how emotional I was... didn't really work, :laugh:.

I dated an extreme T INTJ and he told me flat out his goal with me was to polish the edges of my emotions so I wasn't quite so emo. I resented it at the time but I have to admit that it turned out rather well.

Overall I prefer the more feeling side of things because that is simply the way I was built and it's how I work best. I like to use a more "pure logic" method as an augment to my feelerishness at times.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION], have you seen this article about a study on the correlation between testosterone and aggression?

It's interesting since it sheds a different light onto the effects of testosterone on humans.
Wow, very interesting. Hadn't read that. I guess it kinda proves hormones do affect behaviour. Doesn't automatically mean they affect cognitive functions, but it is a great hint! :)
I still believe that, above a certain level, testosterone does lead to aggressiveness. Seems they didn't test higher doses to conclude. :thinking:

rav3n

Wow, very interesting. Hadn't read that. I guess it kinda proves hormones do affect behaviour. Doesn't automatically mean they affect cognitive functions, but it is a great hint! :)
I still believe that, above a certain level, testosterone does lead to aggressiveness. Seems they didn't test higher doses to conclude. :thinking:
Without access to the study, it's difficult to say what their reasoning was for the dosage. I have insufficient knowledge about the negative impacts of synthesized testosterone injected into the human body.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Without access to the study, it's difficult to say what their reasoning was for the dosage. I have insufficient knowledge about the negative impacts of synthesized testosterone injected into the human body.
I once read about a experiment that analyzed animals testosterone levels. Usually the pack leaders were the animals with balanced pheromone levels, while the ones with high testosterone levels mostly lived alone, since they were too aggressive to be social. Enough to know that when it comes to hormones, balance matters a lot. :)

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I do believe there's some connection with hormones. Someone already made these associations, which seems accurate imo.
mbtihormones.jpg

The list does not cover functions, but groups. When dealing with SPs and SJs, the T and F factors are pretty much ignored.
I'm a mere amateur, but I bet it works more or less like this:
Si/Ni=serotonin
Se/Ne=dopamine
Fi/Fe=estrogen dominance
Te/Ti=testosterone dominance

So what if someone is Fi/Fe = Estrogen dominance but his/her ring finger is longer than their index finger then where do they stand?
(Some scientists believe that the ratio of index finger length to ring finger length indicates how much testosterone we were exposed to in our mother's womb. Higher testosterone exposure is thought to lead to a longer ring finger. This is determined as early as 14 weeks into a pregnancy)

rav3n

I once read about a experiment that analyzed animals testosterone levels. Usually the pack leaders were the animals with balanced pheromone levels, while the ones with high testosterone levels mostly lived alone, since they were too aggressive to be social. Enough to know that when it comes to hormones, balance matters a lot. :)
Do you recall which classification of pack animals? Were they carnivores, omnivores or herbivores?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you recall which classification of pack animals? Were they carnivores, omnivores or herbivores?
If I remember right it was made with wolves. The females in special tended to avoid the overly aggressive (high T levels) males.

[MENTION=6202]saslou[/MENTION] that is an interesting question, I will get back to you later I gotta go now :)

rav3n

If I remember right it was made with wolves. The females in special tended to avoid the overly aggressive (high T levels) males.
Perhaps you can produce the study. I'd be interested to read it.

Lark

Considering that we all use both thinking and feeling to some degree, what makes us prefer one value set over the other? Is it biological? Neurological? Psychological? Due to experiences? Nature vs. Nurture? Social?

I dont believe that feeling can be trusted as much as thinking, it can result in poor or bad judgement.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If hormones drive function preferences, hormones also drive appearance, therefore maybe there actually is something to those claims that you can type someone based on face and/or body type.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Since estrogen (female hormone) is shown as the main neurotransmitter for NFs, and testosterone (male hormone) for NTs, I wonder how this works for the case of opposite genders (NF males and NT females). I know that males can have a small amount of estrogen, and females have a small amount of testosterone, but how can those neurotransmitters have a significant enough effect on the brain of males and females? Was there any information revealed about this?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Higher testosterone levels in women equate to higher sex drives! :devil:

:biggrin:

Wonder if higher FSH levels during ovulation increase the production of testosterone in women, thus leading to higher libido. There's a possibility that it could be related since FSH also increases testosterone production in males, so it can be likely the same biochemical mechanism applies for women. Can influence more NT-ish behavior in women when they are experiencing those physiological changes.

rav3n

:biggrin:

Wonder if higher FSH levels during ovulation increase the production of testosterone in women, thus leading to higher libido. There's a possibility that it could be related since FSH also increases testosterone production in males, so it can be likely the same biochemical mechanism applies for women. Can influence more NT-ish behavior in women when they are experiencing those physiological changes.
Uncertain of the exact mechanics but testosterone injections are used to treat women with low to nonexistent libidos. The last that I recall, the effectiveness and impacts of treatment was still controversial.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
What comes to testosterone:

RQKyA.jpg

Conscientiousness roughly translates to J. Agreeablesness to F. Openness to experience to N.

So what this tells is that with women, a larger amount of testosterone correlates with P, but for men it doesent do that.

Now when it comes to testosterone and E, dominance(which testosterone correlates to) is one aspect of extraversion, but its such a small aspect that it doesent really show with the actual extraversion correlation. So you could say that it has an effect on extraversion, but only on the dominance part, not things like putting more meaning onto external objects, being more outgoing, tendency to think outloud etc etc.

For other things(like T) it doesent seem to have effect on