• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eye Direction and Cognitive Function

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
No, I'm right handed, and left-brained too. I also seem to have poorer than normal spatial skills.

I assumed the directions based on looking at my hands, assuming that when I was looking towards the hand that made a backwards "L" with my thumb extended, I was looking at my right hand (and hence my right side), and that when I was looking towards the hand with a normal "L," I was looking at my left. I'm not sure you got that I was mapping it as I looked out from my eyes, and didn't manage to represent it the way other people would see it when looking at my eyes. I can't figure out their intent in creating it, how to "convert" the map, or whether it needs conversion.

The map is how you as a "reader" would read another person, so it needs to be mirrored if you're thinking in first person. But since you made it clear you were talking about your right and left (talking in first person) I tried my best to do the mirroring for you. So I think you've just proven it doesn't have to work like the theory says, even when you're right handed. Either that or I did a horrible job of converting and mirroring. :D Could happen.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Top right is most common to me when I'm daydreaming or having a really good idea.

In brain balance test I'm usually balanced brained.
I don't know what this all means, but interesting anyways.

I found this from here
1589d1208095281-eye-direction-cognitive-function-eyeaccessing.gif

Vc: Visual Constructed
Ac: Auditory Constructed
K: Kinestetic
Vr: Visual Rememberred
Ar: Auditory Remembered
Ad: Auditory Digital

Last edited:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OOOOOPs

I totally look up and to my right
so sorry for that, earlier
but when playing live, i look down and to the left,
or just to the left
or out into space

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
so lets say some one has one eye looking the lower left and the other to upper right, does that mean they're using both feeling and thinking? I actually don't know anyone who can do that (look two ways at once).

or when we roll our eyes, is it like expereincing each function for a split nano second?

LOL. Man ur creative! And funny! :D

Regarding OP: I heard when someone is emotional they look down, and when someones thinking they look up.

Cant recall 100% about left right on this one. But if someone is lying/creating they look to the left...and when telling truth or recalling story, they look to the right. I think.

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
Top right is most common to me when I'm daydreaming or having a really good idea.

In brain balance test I'm usually balanced brained.
I don't know what this all means, but interesting anyways.

I found this from here
1589d1208095281-eye-direction-cognitive-function-eyeaccessing.gif

Vc: Visual Constructed
Ac: Auditory Constructed
K: Kinestetic
Vr: Visual Rememberred
Ar: Auditory Remembered
Ad: Auditory Digital

Yeah Alcea, thats what i meant....just saw ur post AFTER i posted! geez i should have more patience and actually READ the whole forum before replying ;)
But yeah...VC is Constructed meaning creativity, even lying. Thats why cops etc watch a persons eye movement to determine if theyre lying or not.
VR is remembering or recalling data/events etc.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1588d1208045808-eye-direction-cognitive-function-nlp.jpg

*groan*
Wonderful disclaimer, that last little snippet.

I imagine it would be easier and more accurate to figure out which function is being used by watching behavior and examining what the person says, in context of the situation.

Tiamat

MBTI Type
INTP
I tend to look down regardless of active brain functions

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
If I look down and to my left, my mind seems to become clear/calm, and I hear sound more clearly.

That sounds about right to me. I don't know if I hear things better, but if I was trying to listen to a far off noise, my eyes drop to the left.

Great thread, I wish I saw it in its fifteen minutes.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oooh... I tend to look either straight to the right or left or straight up (if I'm reading and interrupted by someone) which perhaps means that I use NO functions! :shock:

I did try the experiment thing though, which I suppose would have been easier were I not sitting outside in the wind at the moment :doh: I look down and to the right while doing math though and up and to the left to recall words!

Interesting to think about though- thanks heart! :)

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I happen to have paid pretty close attention to this at one point in my life because there was this guy on a TV talk show who said... can't remember which just now but... up one direction or other was an indication the person was lying.

Sooo... I usually look slighty up and left when asked a question, sometimes far up, and sometimes up, left and right, rolling back and forth. I tend to look down and right some when in a heated arguement though in between eyeball stares.:D

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
So does this all mean:

That this guy is an NT? :thinking:

And this one is an NF? :wubbie: