• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does MBTI hurt your sensibilities?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I don't have sensibilities.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since this is in the serious section of the site, maybe you want to explain what your sensibilities are and how it is hurting them, in order to have a more in-depth discussion?

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
Since this is in the serious section of the site, maybe you want to explain what your sensibilities are and how it is hurting them, in order to have a more in-depth discussion?
Ok its all about the idea that an mbti profile is what someone feels they have to look up to. Like I can see that my mbti type is difficult to find out with the descriptions of the INTP and the INFP because I think I have a lot of the traits of both. But if I do pinpoint the mbti I am and accept it I think I will always try to live up to it. So that might change me and it hurts my sensibilities a little bit.

MiriMiriAru

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I doesn't hurt my sensibilities. I think while it is flawed (as is any system that attempts to categorize personality by "types") it allows different, generalised, kinds of people to be identified and referred to by a sort of verbal short hand. Going deeper, beyond the 4 letter codes, to the functions, allows one to get an understanding of different people, albeit at a basic level, and explain this efficiently.

What hurts my sensibilities is when people take it too far and start saying bizarre things like Ss cannot think abstractly, or Fs are irrational. People tend to forget that the functions and their orders that correspond to one's type are preferences, not the sum of one's abilities and the essence of their being.

Ok its all about the idea that an mbti profile is what someone feels they have to look up to. Like I can see that my mbti type is difficult to find out with the descriptions of the INTP and the INFP because I think I have a lot of the traits of both. But if I do pinpoint the mbti I am and accept it I think I will always try to live up to it. So that might change me and it hurts my sensibilities a little bit.
This is kind of what I'm talking about. One can have strong feeling functions, but a preference for their thinking functions, or vice versa. There is nothing contradictory about having aspects of both INTP and INFP, since well rounded and healthy individuals should exhibit characteristics beyond their type. If you can identify your preference, it should change nothing about you, because you still have the function that caused the confusion in the first place. Your type is simply a label, it's not something to define yourself with.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ah, okay... so it's not necessarily having to live up to something but that you feel that feeling forced to live up to something like that is something that personally bothers you?

It's kind of hard overall when someone labels themselves a certain way, there's always a temptation to conform to the expectations for that label. Not just with MBTI, it can be labeling oneself as a son or daughter, a mother or father, a manager or an employee, or any other particular role in life....

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

This an insight an intp would never have :) ( nor would an entp )

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
Ah, okay... so it's not necessarily having to live up to something but that you feel that feeling forced to live up to something like that is something that personally bothers you?

It's kind of hard overall when someone labels themselves a certain way, there's always a temptation to conform to the expectations for that label. Not just with MBTI, it can be labeling oneself as a son or daughter, a mother or father, a manager or an employee, or any other particular role in life....
You're right. I guess I went slightly far onto the idea because this looked a bit more artificial. I'll choose not to choose a type for myself then.

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
I doesn't hurt my sensibilities. I think while it is flawed (as is any system that attempts to categorize personality by "types") it allows different, generalised, kinds of people to be identified and referred to by a sort of verbal short hand. Going deeper, beyond the 4 letter codes, to the functions, allows one to get an understanding of different people, albeit at a basic level, and explain this efficiently.

What hurts my sensibilities is when people take it too far and start saying bizarre things like Ss cannot think abstractly, or Fs are irrational. People tend to forget that the functions and their orders that correspond to one's type are preferences, not the sum of one's abilities and the essence of their being.

This is kind of what I'm talking about. One can have strong feeling functions, but a preference for their thinking functions, or vice versa. There is nothing contradictory about having aspects of both INTP and INFP, since well rounded and healthy individuals should exhibit characteristics beyond their type. If you can identify your preference, it should change nothing about you, because you still have the function that caused the confusion in the first place. Your type is simply a label, it's not something to define yourself with.
This makes a lot of sense to me. This is why I dont want to pinpoint a type. Because Im afraid I might want to bring myself to the type ideals and learn to disregard the traits of the other.

G

Glycerine

That's why it's just fun to see MBTI as like a thought experiment. There are so many other factors that influence one's personality like upbringing, personal values, world view, history, culture, illnesses, etc. One could think of MBTI as a starting point but in essence, it really doesn't tell you much about the person.

MiriMiriAru

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
This makes a lot of sense to me. This is why I dont want to pinpoint a type. Because Im afraid I might want to bring myself to the type ideals and learn to disregard the traits of the other.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Despite how some people treat it, your type is not like a religion. I am an INTP, but my Ni is generally stronger than my Ne, which is followed closely by Te. It's like I'm being shadowed by an INTJ version of myself. But I just go with what seems to fit best, because it's just a quick way to say something about myself, but I just act like me, and not worry about whether I'm conforming to type.

The way you worded your thoughts on this suggests INFP to me (of course, only you can really determine this). But this doesn't preclude you from having strong Ti. It doesn't even preclude you from having Ti stronger than Fi, as type is about preference for certain functions, not how relatively developed they are (though this is often in line with preference). Just pick what seems right, and then continue behaving as you normally do. Only asshats judge people for not acting out type stereotypes.

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Despite how some people treat it, your type is not like a religion. I am an INTP, but my Ni is generally stronger than my Ne, which is followed closely by Te. It's like I'm being shadowed by an INTJ version of myself. But I just go with what seems to fit best, because it's just a quick way to say something about myself, but I just act like me, and not worry about whether I'm conforming to type.

The way you worded your thoughts on this suggests INFP to me (of course, only you can really determine this). But this doesn't preclude you from having strong Ti. It doesn't even preclude you from having Ti stronger than Fi, as type is about preference for certain functions, not how relatively developed they are (though this is often in line with preference). Just pick what seems right, and then continue behaving as you normally do. Only asshats judge people for not acting out type stereotypes.
I will go with this, but even if I sounded like an INFP by the way I worded my posts I still don't think Im going to label myself so quickly. Maybe if I lighten the idea of mbti over time I will be able to pinpoint without being scared about it. My ti and fi according to a test I have taken is almost equal.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
And because I have the traits of both an INTP and an INFP you could say I got this from the INFP side?

No as a Ti user you rather tend to delve deeply into the functional configurations of each types at the beginning. I can tell you about shadow functions and subconcious influence. About nature vs nurture regarding function deployement, about strength configuration and subdued functions. About analytical interpretations of weak underdeveloped functions, about male and female subtypes about archetypical patterns and relations... until I finally at some point come to the same conclusion you had from the start.

That shows you have a preference for concentrating on the human, practical element from the start ( what is F not T ), I had a similiar response from my girlfriend when I confronted her with mbti.

The thing to mbti is, it is about preference, if I type myself entp its because I liked that type the most. Its basically like shopping where you choose an outfit for yourself and make it that way easier for people to get to know you because you transfer a message with your outfit. But everybody who thinks your outfit is your whole personality is pretty wrong.

Basically you choose your outfit yourself, mbti cant tell you what your outfit is.

thats a thing many especially young adults dont understand. Its not life that gives them a personality, its them themselves and the decisions they make.

fripping

MBTI Type
nerd
it just tweaks my precious delicate little nipples so hard it makes me want to go home and bite my pillow!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's why it's just fun to see MBTI as like a thought experiment. There are so many other factors that influence one's personality like upbringing, personal values, world view, history, culture, illnesses, etc. One could think of MBTI as a starting point but in essence, it really doesn't tell you much about the person.

Yes, it's basically a whole bunch of things melded together. It's like taking the basic framework of a car, and then you can soup it up in any direction you like based on all those other things ... so in the end, despite starting with the same framework (and maybe being able to condense things down to it) the expression of two cars can be very very different.

it just tweaks my precious delicate little nipples so hard it makes me want to go home and bite my pillow!

Meh, take your little nipples back to INTPc, you're just derailing here.

MiriMiriAru

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I will go with this, but even if I sounded like an INFP by the way I worded my posts I still don't think Im going to label myself so quickly. Maybe if I lighten the idea of mbti over time I will be able to pinpoint without being scared about it. My ti and fi according to a test I have taken is almost equal.
Yeah, as I said, it was just my impression from a couple of posts, but it is up to you to type yourself. There's no rush. You might want to consider the other functions too. Sometimes the function tests suggest INTJ for me, since a couple of slightly different answers enhance the Ni and Te results a little, even though Ti still wins out, but I think I fit the INTP description somewhat better.

The thing to mbti is, it is about preference, if I type myself entp its because I liked that type the most.
Exactly.

Mr. Cat, you just need to read up on the functions and the type descriptions, and see what you think fits best, because only you know you as well as you.

fripping

MBTI Type
nerd
serious. . . section. . .

serious internet forum. . .

business. . . serious. . . internet. . . .

*slowly backs away from thread*

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Mr. Cat, you just need to read up on the functions and the type descriptions, and see what you think fits best, because only you know you as well as you.

See that is a typical Ti-answer answer :) ("Read up on the functions moron !" :D)

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
No as a Ti user you rather tend to delve deeply into the functional configurations of each types at the beginning. I can tell you about shadow functions and subconcious influence. About nature vs nurture regarding function deployement, about strength configuration and subdued functions. About analytical interpretations of weak underdeveloped functions, about male and female subtypes about archetypical patterns and relations... until I finally at some point come to the same conclusion you had from the start.

That shows you have a preference for concentrating on the human, practical element from the start ( what is F not T ), I had a similiar response from my girlfriend when I confronted her with mbti.

The thing to mbti is, it is about preference, if I type myself entp its because I liked that type the most. Its basically like shopping where you choose an outfit for yourself and make it that way easier for people to get to know you because you transfer a message with your outfit. But everybody who thinks your outfit is your whole personality is pretty wrong.

Basically you choose your outfit yourself, mbti cant tell you what your outfit is.

thats a thing many especially young adults dont understand. Its not life that gives them a personality, its them themselves and the decisions they make.
Did you go and assume that by my explanations in this thread I made, I focus over 50% of my mind on human beings with the feeling factor controlling my insights? Isnt the point of this website to learn about certain psychology which is applied to human beings? Does that make this an F website?

Anyway, my point is that if I choose an mbti outfit, I might think I have to stick with it and that might make me lose the traits of the other outfits. I have to lighten my thought of the outfit and not make it a big deal.