User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Default Does MBTI hurt your sensibilities?

It hurts my sensibilities.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I don't have sensibilities.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Since this is in the serious section of the site, maybe you want to explain what your sensibilities are and how it is hurting them, in order to have a more in-depth discussion?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Since this is in the serious section of the site, maybe you want to explain what your sensibilities are and how it is hurting them, in order to have a more in-depth discussion?
    Ok its all about the idea that an mbti profile is what someone feels they have to look up to. Like I can see that my mbti type is difficult to find out with the descriptions of the INTP and the INFP because I think I have a lot of the traits of both. But if I do pinpoint the mbti I am and accept it I think I will always try to live up to it. So that might change me and it hurts my sensibilities a little bit.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I doesn't hurt my sensibilities. I think while it is flawed (as is any system that attempts to categorize personality by "types") it allows different, generalised, kinds of people to be identified and referred to by a sort of verbal short hand. Going deeper, beyond the 4 letter codes, to the functions, allows one to get an understanding of different people, albeit at a basic level, and explain this efficiently.

What hurts my sensibilities is when people take it too far and start saying bizarre things like Ss cannot think abstractly, or Fs are irrational. People tend to forget that the functions and their orders that correspond to one's type are preferences, not the sum of one's abilities and the essence of their being.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cat View Post
    Ok its all about the idea that an mbti profile is what someone feels they have to look up to. Like I can see that my mbti type is difficult to find out with the descriptions of the INTP and the INFP because I think I have a lot of the traits of both. But if I do pinpoint the mbti I am and accept it I think I will always try to live up to it. So that might change me and it hurts my sensibilities a little bit.
    This is kind of what I'm talking about. One can have strong feeling functions, but a preference for their thinking functions, or vice versa. There is nothing contradictory about having aspects of both INTP and INFP, since well rounded and healthy individuals should exhibit characteristics beyond their type. If you can identify your preference, it should change nothing about you, because you still have the function that caused the confusion in the first place. Your type is simply a label, it's not something to define yourself with.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ah, okay... so it's not necessarily having to live up to something but that you feel that feeling forced to live up to something like that is something that personally bothers you?

It's kind of hard overall when someone labels themselves a certain way, there's always a temptation to conform to the expectations for that label. Not just with MBTI, it can be labeling oneself as a son or daughter, a mother or father, a manager or an employee, or any other particular role in life....
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

This an insight an intp would never have ( nor would an entp )
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Ah, okay... so it's not necessarily having to live up to something but that you feel that feeling forced to live up to something like that is something that personally bothers you?

It's kind of hard overall when someone labels themselves a certain way, there's always a temptation to conform to the expectations for that label. Not just with MBTI, it can be labeling oneself as a son or daughter, a mother or father, a manager or an employee, or any other particular role in life....
    You're right. I guess I went slightly far onto the idea because this looked a bit more artificial. I'll choose not to choose a type for myself then.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    This an insight an intp would never have ( nor would an entp )
    And because I have the traits of both an INTP and an INFP you could say I got this from the INFP side?

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Jesus View Post
    I doesn't hurt my sensibilities. I think while it is flawed (as is any system that attempts to categorize personality by "types") it allows different, generalised, kinds of people to be identified and referred to by a sort of verbal short hand. Going deeper, beyond the 4 letter codes, to the functions, allows one to get an understanding of different people, albeit at a basic level, and explain this efficiently.

What hurts my sensibilities is when people take it too far and start saying bizarre things like Ss cannot think abstractly, or Fs are irrational. People tend to forget that the functions and their orders that correspond to one's type are preferences, not the sum of one's abilities and the essence of their being.

This is kind of what I'm talking about. One can have strong feeling functions, but a preference for their thinking functions, or vice versa. There is nothing contradictory about having aspects of both INTP and INFP, since well rounded and healthy individuals should exhibit characteristics beyond their type. If you can identify your preference, it should change nothing about you, because you still have the function that caused the confusion in the first place. Your type is simply a label, it's not something to define yourself with.
    This makes a lot of sense to me. This is why I dont want to pinpoint a type. Because Im afraid I might want to bring myself to the type ideals and learn to disregard the traits of the other.