• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does MBTI hurt your sensibilities?

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
Yeah, as I said, it was just my impression from a couple of posts, but it is up to you to type yourself. There's no rush. You might want to consider the other functions too. Sometimes the function tests suggest INTJ for me, since a couple of slightly different answers enhance the Ni and Te results a little, even though Ti still wins out, but I think I fit the INTP description somewhat better.
I dont think Ill give it a rush for now then. Ill take my time seeing the different functions and how mbti works before I decide things.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Did you go and assume that by my explanations in this thread I made, I focus over 50% of my mind on human beings with the feeling factor controlling my insights? Isnt the point of this website to learn about certain psychology which is applied to human beings? Does that make this an F website?

Anyway, my point is that if I choose an mbti outfit, I might think I have to stick with it and that might make me lose the traits of the other outfits. I have to lighten my thought of the outfit and not make it a big deal.

Yea I assumed that, what other option do I have, I dont know jack about you. Its what everybody does all day: assuming and assuming.

This website basically has the purpose to teach young adults self-conciencse and trust in their abilities. Whatever theories are necessary for that. Thats the official version, the inofficial version is that it is a huge dating site for entropie. :)

You'll figure that at some point you will have to choose an outfit for you and stick with that for some time. Life will some day be so big and have so many demands towards you that you'll be glad if you have a stable personality you can rely on. But if it does help you: even I dont know after 11k posts what I am. Sometimes I am a rude entj, sometimes a benevolent connaisseur as in enfj, sometimes I am a dork as in entp, you never know and why would you need to ?

That is the only question I do ask myself: why do I need to know who I am ? What if someone tells you: you are this and that and you dont agree. You'd say no I am not and so you have learned nothing. What if a person tells you you are this and that and you say yes thats me, what would you have learned ? nothing. the point is: you will always be and you will never know who you are, you can always only pretend to

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
Yea I assumed that, what other option do I have, I dont know jack about you. Its what everybody does all day: assuming and assuming.

This website basically has the purpose to teach young adults self-conciencse and trust in their abilities. Whatever theories are necessary for that. Thats the official version, the inofficial version is that it is a huge dating site for entropie. :)

You'll figure that at some point you will have to choose an outfit for you and stick with that for some time. Life will some day be so big and have so many demands towards you that you'll be glad if you have a stable personality you can rely on. But if it does help you: even I dont know after 11k posts what I am. Sometimes I am a rude entj, sometimes a benevolent connaisseur as in enfj, sometimes I am a dork as in entp, you never know and why would you need to ?

That is the only question I do ask myself: why do I need to know who I am ? What if someone tells you: you are this and that and you dont agree. You'd say no I am not and so you have learned nothing. What if a person tells you you are this and that and you say yes thats me, what would you have learned ? nothing. the point is: you will always be and you will never know who you are, you can always only pretend to
People do go and assume things all day. Only some do not assume so quickly with a little bit of information.
The website has a deep official purpose but for the unofficial purpose, wonder how that worked. :rly???:

I know if I go too deep into mbti and stay long enough learning about it I will want to put an outfit on. That's why I dont want to have one right now. I want to wait until it lightens up and I know things in more detail. I need to lighten it up so I do feel like I need to become what the type profile says the type is.

G

Glycerine

Think of your outfit as something you can tweak with your own personal touches. :D. It's not an end all be all outfit.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
People do go and assume things all day. Only some do not assume so quickly with a little bit of information.
The website has a deep official purpose but for the unofficial purpose, wonder how that worked. :rly???:

I know if I go too deep into mbti and stay long enough learning about it I will want to put an outfit on. That's why I dont want to have one right now. I want to wait until it lightens up and I know things in more detail. I need to lighten it up so I do feel like I need to become what the type profile says the type is.

Ok then you have made your decision.

but we better end this now or I will go to hurt your sensibilities, I am pretty harsh, you know germans, lost 2 wars and know have to tantalize people over the internet :D

i wish you the best of luck

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
Ok then you have made your decision.

but we better end this now or I will go to hurt your sensibilities, I am pretty harsh, you know germans, lost 2 wars and know have to tantalize people over the internet :D

i wish you the best of luck
Hahaha, yes alright.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok its all about the idea that an mbti profile is what someone feels they have to look up to. Like I can see that my mbti type is difficult to find out with the descriptions of the INTP and the INFP because I think I have a lot of the traits of both. But if I do pinpoint the mbti I am and accept it I think I will always try to live up to it. So that might change me and it hurts my sensibilities a little bit.

Yes, it's too restrictive.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not wanting to label yourself according to type is so infp. just sayin. :newwink:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, it doesn't hurt my sensibilities. I don't take profiles too literally; I see them as illustrations of how a type often looks. I also don't see them as defining ME. The type fits ME the best of the 16, I don't fit the type, so that I am not limited to the type's description of typical abilities/tendencies.

I suggest learning more about the theory & doing more self-evaluation until your best fit emerges. Focus on viewing types as thinking styles over behaviors/skills.

As a side point, if you are debating between one type and INFP, people will always tell you that you're INFP. Apparently anyone who considers INFP must be INFP. Even if you're not considering INFP, if you don't accept your test results & instead consider other types, then you're probably INFP (/sarcasm). :rolleyes:

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
As long as you don't take it seriously, it shouldn't hurt anyone's sensibilities.

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
No, it doesn't hurt my sensibilities. I don't take profiles too literally; I see them as illustrations of how a type often looks. I also don't see them as defining ME. The type fits ME the best of the 16, I don't fit the type, so that I am not limited to the type's description of typical abilities/tendencies.

I suggest learning more about the theory & doing more self-evaluation until your best fit emerges. Focus on viewing types as thinking styles over behaviors/skills.

As a side point, if you are debating between one type and INFP, people will always tell you that you're INFP. Apparently anyone who considers INFP must be INFP. Even if you're not considering INFP, if you don't accept your test results & instead consider other types, then you're probably INFP (/sarcasm). :rolleyes:
After reading about Fi it makes sense because of a personal identity factor. I wonder what people would say if someone debated about whether they are an INFP or an ISFP.
I'm doing as you say. Learning the theory and it's teaching me funny things.

As long as you don't take it seriously, it shouldn't hurt anyone's sensibilities.
Most truly.

I have the same disorder.
I hope your sensibilities are not hurt.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think if someone feels like they have to live up to their type profiles (which I think is true of many people on this site), then it's most likely because they're mistyped and trying to be a type that they're not.

And none of that kind of behavior has anything to do with MBTI itself, but rather with communities that glorify certain traits over others to the point that people want to be a certain way.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Not quite sure that I'm fully understanding what you're asking, mind rephrasing that?

I think if someone feels like they have to live up to their type profiles (which I think is true of many people on this site), then it's most likely because they're mistyped and trying to be a type that they're not.

And none of that kind of behavior has anything to do with MBTI itself, but rather with communities that glorify certain traits over others to the point that people want to be a certain way.

If you were sure about who you are in the first place, I am quite sure you would be warded against mbti. But how many people really are that, maybe 1-2 % of them all ? Most people who come here are in search for answers regarding what to do with themselves, how they effect others and what to do with their lifes.

Telling those people: dont take mbti to seriously, well that wouldnt make sense to them considering the point of life they are at, at their moment.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
If you were sure about who you are in the first place, I am quite sure you would be warded against mbti. But how many people really are that, maybe 1-2 % of them all ? Most people who come here are in search for answers regarding what to do with themselves, how they effect others and what to do with their lifes.

Telling those people: dont take mbti to seriously, well that wouldnt make sense to them considering the point of life they are at, at their moment.

But the thing is, how much can MBTI really aid in self-discovery? Sure, it might give you a couple insights into who you are, but at the end of the day, it's a caricature, and if you're seeking self-actualization or even just some insight into who you are as a human being, I don't think that canned profiles are the best thing to take to heart.

Don't get me wrong, I think it can point people in the right direction to self-improvement or perhaps understanding the behavior of other people. But taking too seriously is more likely to confuse someone in search of their identity than help them.