• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Craziest/Most Absurd type

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
NFJs and SFJs when they get sincerely pissed off.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's an NTP pissed off that you didn't just say FJ. Wasted many characters by separating them.

Not really though. Just pretending to have stereotype Ti ideals.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Depends on what you mean by the words. Jung says of the Ni dominant type:Joe Butts says of the ISTP So your inquiry seems relative.

yes, this can be an interesting topic to be taken seriously. Here's what Vicky Jo wrote about domni:

"according to Jungian John Beebe, his anecdotal evidence shows that characters in contemporary American films representing the function of introverting iNtuiting (Ni, an IN_J's favorite function and best gift) tend to portray it via "a psychotic serial-killer, some kind of weird, offbeat sociopath who would give you the creeps."

According to John, Ni is the deepest shadow of our ESTJ culture. He gives an example of Ni in movies with the famous shower scene from "Psycho," and says this is an example of "demonic Ni," meaning this is how most of the culture views and experiences it.

He claims it is also a very unpopular function in general. (It's harder on the INFJs than the INTJs, I can tell you.)

He also claims that Carl Jung singlehandedly rescued the gift of introverted iNtuiting from being relegated to sociopathy in the psycholoical field.

I want to clarify here that I don't believe INTJs *ARE* psychopaths or most likely to *BE* psychopaths, but there is an UNFAIR perception around the Ni function that lends itself to this stereotype. "

-INTJ.tribe.net, "psychopaths"

With (have I mentioned this before on this site yet) Nikola Tesla (definate INTJ) as one of the examples of the 'madman'/'psycho' problem that domni's deal with. By the way, I'm also pretty sure that Russel Crowe's character in Beautiful Mind is also an INTJ. Have you seen it?

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Here's an NTP pissed off that you didn't just say FJ. Wasted many characters by separating them.

Not really though. Just pretending to have stereotype Ti ideals.
That's just my NFJ craziness :tongue:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
According to John, Ni is the deepest shadow of our ESTJ culture. He gives an example of Ni in movies with the famous shower scene from "Psycho," and says this is an example of "demonic Ni," meaning this is how most of the culture views and experiences it.
Wouldn't that be Fe (for the ESTJ; and Ni as "deceiving")?

He claims it is also a very unpopular function in general. (It's harder on the INFJs than the INTJs, I can tell you.)

He also claims that Carl Jung singlehandedly rescued the gift of introverted iNtuiting from being relegated to sociopathy in the psycholoical field.

I want to clarify here that I don't believe INTJs *ARE* psychopaths or most likely to *BE* psychopaths, but there is an UNFAIR perception around the Ni function that lends itself to this stereotype. "
I still don't fully understand the function myself. It's supposed to be about getting a sense of the future from reading abstract patterns. What does that have to do with psychopathy; eg. chopping someone up in a shower?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Well. I think ENxPs are most likely to SEEM utterly ridiculous, even if they're sound of mind. INFJs are NOT necessarily crazy, but I do think we might be absurd in a surprising way that makes people think we are.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Crazy meaning wildly fun & absurd = ENFP

Crazy meaning likely to throw stuff at you in a fight, or burn all your clothes = ESXJ

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I still don't fully understand the function myself. It's supposed to be about getting a sense of the future from reading abstract patterns. What does that have to do with psychopathy; eg. chopping someone up in a shower?

It's a seamless perspective shift to understand the patterns right in front of you. Most people think that there's a perspective out there that makes Ni-types think it's totally okay to chop up people in showers. But, you know, we're not crazy -- we'd only do it if the situation required it. :D

Crazy meaning wildly fun & absurd = ENFP

Crazy meaning likely to throw stuff at you in a fight, or burn all your clothes = ESXJ

Exactly.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
INFJs have useful talent of getting very wise using extremely questionable sources of information. They might read books that are bs no matter how you look at it and get to the same conclusions as if they were reading philosophy for their whole lives. It's like turning random words into wisdom.

So I think they are the guru and the nutcase in the same wrapping. They are not really that "silly". They seem to take it quite seriously, so they are not what I would call crazy, but they sure are absurd, at least for the time before they become gurus :). I've met some of these people that are pretty close to being mentally ill, but I guess it's because the world really doesn't need them or value them. They're not good for business, so they get lost.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Wouldn't that be Fe (for the ESTJ; and Ni as "deceiving")?

I think it would be wierd if the US cultures modal type fit to every process role all the way down to eighth. Remember, a cultural type is a very different phenomenon than an individual's type.

As for the shower scene part, I admit I'm not quite sure what that has to do with Ni. I'll have to think about that for a while (or ask someone).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
gUHpi would be the most absurd one xD

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
With (have I mentioned this before on this site yet) Nikola Tesla (definate INTJ) as one of the examples of the 'madman'/'psycho' problem that domni's deal with. By the way, I'm also pretty sure that Russel Crowe's character in Beautiful Mind is also an INTJ. Have you seen it?
Gabe as always you're insightful with your analyses. I will have to do some research when I find the time and pick your brain. I always considered John Nash an INTP, but it makes sense that he may be INTJ, although we should not rule out ENTP (which is what I think Tesla may have been as well). Yes I have the video, the soundtrack and the PBS special "Beautiful Madness" which is scary compared to the movie.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Gabe as always you're insightful with your analyses. I will have to do some research when I find the time and pick your brain. I always considered John Nash an INTP, but it makes sense that he may be INTJ, although we should not rule out ENTP (which is what I think Tesla may have been as well). Yes I have the video, the soundtrack and the PBS special "Beautiful Madness" which is scary compared to the movie.

John Nash as played-by-Russel-Crowe was an INTJ. His madness was perception-based, and his imaginary friends can be fairly well mapped as INTJ archetypes (The imaginary boss as a Te type, the imaginary roomate as a Se type, and the child as a Fi type). Also, the Ti type in the movie (the psychiatrist/psychologist?) has the wisdom to help Nash out of his madness but threatens to immobilize Nash with the diagnosis ("You can't think your way out of this, because the problem is in your head"). I will have to do more research myself before I can confidently guess what type John Nash was IRL.
As for Tesla, I'm pretty sure he was an INTJ.

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/nikola_tesla/

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTPs and ENFPs are skilled at non-linear thought. I enjoy the head trips they take me on as friends or entertainers. They make fantastic performers.

I also have to just note the discrepancy between anecdotal descriptions of INFJs and how that type is described in the MBTI literature. What is the reason for this? I still wonder if it is in fact the most misunderstood type and used as a dumping ground for all behaviors that don't make sense to people. The literature describes them as organized, responsible, empathetic, insightful. Even Mother Teresa and Ghandi are considered INFJ. Contrast that with the multitude of "oh yeah, my crazy ex is an INFJ" that pervades these online anecdotal responses. I feel a bit badly for the type to have to wade through so much prejudice and lack of critical examination and question how many people could really have dated such a reclusive type that represents something like 1% of the population.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a seamless perspective shift to understand the patterns right in front of you. Most people think that there's a perspective out there that makes Ni-types think it's totally okay to chop up people in showers. But, you know, we're not crazy -- we'd only do it if the situation required it. :D
Figures. The one experience I've had with a known Ni type: lashed out with an erratic reaction to something, and then calmly justified it with function dynamics, and that the Ni "knew" things would ultimately come out from it "OK" in the end.
I am so unused to that function, at least in a primary position!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I also have to just note the discrepancy between anecdotal descriptions of INFJs and how that type is described in the MBTI literature. What is the reason for this? I still wonder if it is in fact the most misunderstood type and used as a dumping ground for all behaviors that don't make sense to people. The literature describes them as organized, responsible, empathetic, insightful. Even Mother Teresa and Ghandi are considered INFJ. Contrast that with the multitude of "oh yeah, my crazy ex is an INFJ" that pervades these online anecdotal responses. I feel a bit badly for the type to have to wade through so much prejudice and lack of critical examination and question how many people could really have dated such a reclusive type that represents something like 1% of the population.

It's a very good point, but then again there could be a fairly vast assortment of unhealthy INFJs out there, with all the supposed 'crap' that they would get.

Take for example the INTJ forum. There are a lot of angry people on that forum, complaining about society at large. It's been estimated that a lot of people there are not actual INTJs, although there's still probably a fair amount that are INTJs, and still as angry as they describe themselves as. One could say, "Now wait, these are INTJs! Shouldn't they have gotten off their asses, stopped complaining, and be working on something big?" when what's happened is they got stuck on themselves and refuse to move on.

And remember, 1% of the population isn't really *that* small. There are 2,300 people in my school, so there should be about 23 INFJs by that statistic. Imagine in a city of New York, with its estimated population of 19,306,183 people, we'd have potentially 19,306 INFJs. They might be hard to find in 19 million people, but considering that they're likely attracted to certain venues, they wouldn't be too incredibly difficult to find.

There's always that whole assumption that 'quiet' = 'shy'. I can see a potential problem with relationships with people who wouldn't expect such force coming from a person who doesn't talk much and usually remains relatively unassuming. All of the sudden this person who is supposedly 'quiet and gentle' is making the orders. Many don't expect it, and on top of that, many don't like it.

Figures. The one experience I've had with a known Ni type: lashed out with an erratic reaction to something, and then calmly justified it with function dynamics, and that the Ni "knew" things would ultimately come out from it "OK" in the end.
I am so unused to that function, at least in a primary position!

Umm. Are you sure that wasn't Se?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
John Nash as played-by-Russel-Crowe was an INTJ. His madness was perception-based, and his imaginary friends can be fairly well mapped as INTJ archetypes (The imaginary boss as a Te type, the imaginary roomate as a Se type, and the child as a Fi type). Also, the Ti type in the movie (the psychiatrist/psychologist?) has the wisdom to help Nash out of his madness but threatens to immobilize Nash with the diagnosis ("You can't think your way out of this, because the problem is in your head"). I will have to do more research myself before I can confidently guess what type John Nash was IRL.
As for Tesla, I'm pretty sure he was an INTJ.

Nikola Tesla quotes
Yet in reading excerpts Beebe how can you not consider this INTJ function usage as a shadow side of ENTP?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Umm. Are you sure that wasn't Se?
Who knows? With the latter part (foreseeing the outcome), that would definitely be Ni. Se would be inferior, but still primary, and the behavior was supposed to involve the shadows as well.