User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Thread: Ti and Te

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    The mech is way cooler.
    This claim is biased; the created city is way cooler.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by LaconicSesquipedalia View Post
    This claim is biased; the created city is way cooler.
    fuck the system.

Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'm not ruling out the possibility of being an INFP at this point, though I'm not convinced from this alone that I've been mistyped. Every description I've read of Ti has confirmed that I use that function, while only some parts of Te descriptions resonate with me.

I'm curious though, how valid/accurate would you consider the points on this function questionnaire (especially for Te and Ti)?
    Hey, I'll check out that link after work! Gotta rush.
    Just a quick question though - are your ideas of Ti and Te still the same as those from your original post?
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    Hey, I'll check out that link after work! Gotta rush.
    Just a quick question though - are your ideas of Ti and Te still the same as those from your original post?
    No, my original ideas were clearly inaccurate. My perceptions of the two functions are a bit hazy at the moment, which is why I'm reanalyzing and looking for more input.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

- X is more direct and outwardly focused
    Te

- X will look for fallacies and be quick to point them out
    Both, moreso Ti

- Y will notice fallacies as well, but may be content to work with an imperfect system or theory
    Both, moreso Te

- X may be more directly skeptical and hesitant to work with a flawed system
    Both, moreso Ti

- Y can half-accept a theory or system, making use of it while keeping in mind that the results may be inaccurate
    - X can half-accept a theory or system as well, but may prefer to refrain from using it until sufficient evidence is found to support it or until it is improved
    Not sure about these two, maybe someone else can help me out here....

Enneagram
    5w4

No, my original ideas were clearly inaccurate. My perceptions of the two functions are a bit hazy at the moment, which is why I'm reanalyzing and looking for more input.
    Thanks, I just wanted to clarify that first.

If we're deciding between INTP and INFP, I'm wondering whether it'd be better to compare Ti & Te, Fi & Fe, or both dominant functions - Ti & Fi...which would probably make more sense as they're both introverted and equally "conscious" due to their position.
    Regarding the cognitive functions test you linked to, the focus seems to be how the Introverted aspect of each function (F, T, S, N) compares to it's Extraverted form.
    I think it'd be more helpful, in our case, if the test focused on gauging how the two pairs of introverted functions differ as rational functions, i.e. Introverted F vs T.

Perhaps that's the reason why the descriptions there seem overly fluffy and emotional (nearly cringeworthy) for Feeling, and exclusively analytical and logical for Thinking. You'd think a Fi-user wouldn't be able to work out a technical puzzle, or a Ti-user would care nothing about some "universal spirit of compassion".

Anyway, I should probably be posting this in your Fi vs Ti thread, but I think it's very relevant here. A description by Mythographeas' (an INFP) of Fi from PersonalityCafe:

I'm perfectly mentally capable of rigorous logic, I just question its value and the claim to objectivity. As I see it, the purely rational way of understanding the world is just as much based on irrational assumptions as a purely emotional one - the axiomata on which logic is based are not self-evident if one does not accept self-evidence. They're just as consistent as one another, with all of the Ti knowledge base cohering according to the rules of logic and all of the Fi knowledge base cohering according to principle and integrability with the ideal. As a dominant Ti type can dismiss the Fi knowledge base as irrelevant, so can an Fi dominant type dismiss the Ti knowledge base as irrelevant: e.g., I'm an INFP and an apatheist, meaning that if someone makes an objective and logically defended claim about the existence of God, I'm more likely to respond, "Why should I care? I know right from wrong on my own and it wouldn't change how I behave or what I believe," than to pick apart their argument. I could do the latter, but it's not necessary. Conversely, an INTP may need to pick apart their argument, because it would be insufficient to challenge that they wouldn't care even if it were true: they're interested in the truth for its own sake.

Both seek to achieve a qualitative understanding, but they prioritise different qualities. That's the ultimate difference, I suspect.
    What do you think?
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

Thanks, I just wanted to clarify that first.

If we're deciding between INTP and INFP, I'm wondering whether it'd be better to compare Ti & Te, Fi & Fe, or both dominant functions - Ti & Fi...which would probably make more sense as they're both introverted and equally "conscious" due to their position.
    Regarding the cognitive functions test you linked to, the focus seems to be how the Introverted aspect of each function (F, T, S, N) compares to it's Extraverted form.
    I think it'd be more helpful, in our case, if the test focused on gauging how the two pairs of introverted functions differ as rational functions, i.e. Introverted F vs T.

Perhaps that's the reason why the descriptions there seem overly fluffy and emotional (nearly cringeworthy) for Feeling, and exclusively analytical and logical for Thinking. You'd think a Fi-user wouldn't be able to work out a technical puzzle, or a Ti-user would care nothing about some "universal spirit of compassion".

Anyway, I should probably be posting this in your Fi vs Ti thread, but I think it's very relevant here. A description by Mythographeas' (an INFP) of Fi from PersonalityCafe:

I'm perfectly mentally capable of rigorous logic, I just question its value and the claim to objectivity. As I see it, the purely rational way of understanding the world is just as much based on irrational assumptions as a purely emotional one - the axiomata on which logic is based are not self-evident if one does not accept self-evidence. They're just as consistent as one another, with all of the Ti knowledge base cohering according to the rules of logic and all of the Fi knowledge base cohering according to principle and integrability with the ideal. As a dominant Ti type can dismiss the Fi knowledge base as irrelevant, so can an Fi dominant type dismiss the Ti knowledge base as irrelevant: e.g., I'm an INFP and an apatheist, meaning that if someone makes an objective and logically defended claim about the existence of God, I'm more likely to respond, "Why should I care? I know right from wrong on my own and it wouldn't change how I behave or what I believe," than to pick apart their argument. I could do the latter, but it's not necessary. Conversely, an INTP may need to pick apart their argument, because it would be insufficient to challenge that they wouldn't care even if it were true: they're interested in the truth for its own sake.

Both seek to achieve a qualitative understanding, but they prioritise different qualities. That's the ultimate difference, I suspect.
    What do you think?
    I can certainly relate to Mythographeas' post about Fi. Truth for it's own sake is not as appealing to me as truth that holds personal significance to me. If I think about it, every time I've gone into my focused analytical mode trying to find that kernel of truth, it's because it's something I value personally. I wouldn't invest that much time and effort into finding the truth about something that doesn't really matter. Maybe Fi and Ti really are the same process after all--just with different priorities. Anyways, it looks like I may be an INFP after all. I really appreciate all your help, Vizzy!

deleted

I take it that people don't read about the functions?

Ti's are all about leverage and are masters of improving and taking a half-working system or idea and making it into something new or useful. Ti's might often not know what works but using a mental map will try to get it to work. They often appear intuitive or esoterically knowledgable. They make great innovators and architects and apply some common sense: "internal" judgement.

Te's are the ones who see if a system is already useful, working and adopted by others, and will see to deliver it to a purpose. Te is not so readily capable of internalizing and working out flaws, and will instead be perfectionistic and skeptical. They often appear wise and correct. Because of this decisiveness they are master researchers and planners and apply standards: "external" judgement.

In other words, Ti has internal purpose and Te has external purpose. So I would agree with the OP, though I wanted to add my 2 cents about Ti.

Enneagram
    5w4

I can certainly relate to Mythographeas' post about Fi. Truth for it's own sake is not as appealing to me as truth that holds personal significance to me. If I think about it, every time I've gone into my focused analytical mode trying to find that kernel of truth, it's because it's something I value personally. I wouldn't invest that much time and effort into finding the truth about something that doesn't really matter. Maybe Fi and Ti really are the same process after all--just with different priorities. Anyways, it looks like I may be an INFP after all. I really appreciate all your help, Vizzy!
    *awkward hug and pat* Ugh, now it feels like I was trying to persuade you towards this direction...so, uh, feel free to keep considering!
    Anyway, this was fun. Thankyou too!
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    I take it that people don't read about the functions?
    A flawed assumption sir! Ive been reading about the functions for 2 days. Never read it once before then!

In other words, Ti has internal purpose and Te has external purpose. So I would agree with the OP, though I wanted to add my 2 cents about Ti.
    Your a good teacher. Introverted Thinking is internal and Extraverted Thinking is external. Got it.