User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 80

Thread: Ti and Te

  1. #51
    Senior Member Vizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    About the effectiveness(not efficiency) versus correctness, I'd say those are indirectly caused outcomes when considering an actual person. Ti contributes to the 'tendency' of focusing on Correctness while Te contributes to the 'tendency' of a focus in efficiency. As a whole, aside from cognitive functions, what influences a person's focus is his/her values.
    In other words, a Ti-user strives for correctness and a Te-user strives for efficiency. Or is your interpretation something else?
    I'm not sure about the use of "effective" because to Ti, something is most effective if it's accurate to begin with, and to Te, something is most effective if it is practical and usable. (I didn't want to use fuzzy words like 'tendency' because I think no one accepts any of this theorising to be black and white anyway...at least, I hope not).

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Yea it is. I as a Ne-dominant will never understand categorizing or systemizing cause it destroys the big picture and takes things so much out of context that they loose all of their original meaning.
    Yeah, I'm the same way. I've probably said it somewhere before, but I treat this all as a game where I'm just playing along and by the rules. Categorizing people into 16 MBTI types or 9 Enneagram types...it's fun and intriguing for what it is.
    Regarding a true or "original meaning", I'm not sure if such a thing actually exists. (I mean, take colour as an example - the fact that we have 'set' colours: red, blue, yellow, green, orange etc. There are other cultures who don't view/systemize colours this way - at all.) There's nothing wrong with taking things out of context. Actually, how can there not be a context when it comes to understanding something? I guess we can only try to keep an open mind and be able to recognise different contexts.

    Wow, got a bit philosophical there.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

  2. #52
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    Yeah, I'm the same way. I've probably said it somewhere before, but I treat this all as a game where I'm just playing along and by the rules. Categorizing people into 16 MBTI types or 9 Enneagram types...it's fun and intriguing for what it is.
    Regarding a true or "original meaning", I'm not sure if such a thing actually exists. (I mean, take colour as an example - the fact that we have 'set' colours: red, blue, yellow, green, orange etc. There are other cultures who don't view/systemize colours this way - at all.) There's nothing wrong with taking things out of context. Actually, how can there not be a context when it comes to understanding something? I guess we can only try to keep an open mind and be able to recognise different contexts.

    Wow, got a bit philosophical there.
    Let me phrase it differently: I am quite good with people. But if I start to see them with mbti labels, it ruins it for me with people. It changes the interpersonal connection for me so dramatically that I start to operate on a different plane in interaction with people. If then someone would ask me what is my opinion about person XY, I'd give an mbti-influenced answer and nobody would understand me.

    To me mbti is poison, I am better getting to know people like they get to know each others without mbti. That integrates me a lot better in the societal mindset and makes it easier for me to communicate.

    And that is basically what I am trieing to tell. Many people come here, having zero social competence, having no life experience and seek what they miss in mbti. But this forms a character that is even more incapable to socialize than it was before. Imo you can do mbti the moment you already have a somewhat stable character, if you use mbti as a guideline for human psychology it does make you even a bigger nerd than you were before.

    By that I dont want to say that everyone needs to be integrated in the societal mindset, by that I want to say that a realistic human personality analysis, which incorporates all factors involved, cant be made solely by mbti.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  3. #53
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    Sorry if it seems like I’m picking on you, RevlisZero.

    If I use the explanation I wrote above, then the act of precisely following a formula doesn’t reveal whether one is using Ti or Te. I did find it interesting that your reason for using your own method was clearly because you found the other one too meticulous and inefficient. Perhaps the other students followed the formula because it has been proven to be accurate and flawless – and that’s all they needed. (Of course, it may also mean they haven’t understood the rules of the system as well as you have so would rather just use what they already know, but that’s a matter of ability, I believe – not preference.)
    For the record, I'm pretty sure I'm a Ti-user, and I'm absolutely sure I suck at Maths. I was always more of a History/Language person.

    Ti is nitpicky and meticulous at its very nature because it wants something to be accurate. Like @SuchIrony, I also like efficiency but would never compromise accuracy for efficiency...well, unless it was something I just didn't care about... Of course, Te can also be nitpicky...but not in the sense where they'd be willing to stay at Stage 1 for an "unnecessarily long time, wasting unnecessary effort".
    Based on this, I don't know if I can decide whether I prefer Ti or Te more. For things I really care about (like finding my type), I can be extremely nitpicky and value accuracy above all else. Though for most things, I don't really care that much and would rather just get it done as quickly as possible, even if I don't do it perfectly. Which definition fits me more is entirely dependent on the context, because what I'm dealing affects my priorities, and whether I would prefer to get it done fast or to get it done right. (Is it just me or does this sound like Fi + Te?)

  4. #54
    Senior Member Vizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Based on this, I don't know if I can decide whether I prefer Ti or Te more. For things I really care about (like finding my type), I can be extremely nitpicky and value accuracy above all else. Though for most things, I don't really care that much and would rather just get it done as quickly as possible, even if I don't do it perfectly. Which definition fits me more is entirely dependent on the context, because what I'm dealing affects my priorities, and whether I would prefer to get it done fast or to get it done right. (Is it just me or does this sound like Fi + Te?)
    Let's use the Maths example you mentioned before. You displayed a preference for efficiency there. If we go further back to our little discussion about the Cognitive Functions test, you displayed a preference for using the (questionable) system in practice anyway for what it was worth. Would you say those are both fairly neutral situations?
    (That's another thing I was wondering today. What kind of examples/situations do we consider with regard to thinking functions? One where there is no emotional influence?
    Surely, everyone does things half-assedly when it's something they really don't care about. And of course, they'd be extremely precise if it was something extremely personally significant.)

    By the way, check out this thread from PersonalityCafe:
    http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive...out-te-ti.html Post #9 is basically what I've been trying to communicate here.
    What do you think?
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

  5. #55
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    Let's use the Maths example you mentioned before. You displayed a preference for efficiency there. If we go further back to our little discussion about the Cognitive Functions test, you displayed a preference for using the (questionable) system in practice anyway for what it was worth. Would you say those are both fairly neutral situations?
    (That's another thing I was wondering today. What kind of examples/situations do we consider with regard to thinking functions? One where there is no emotional influence?
    Surely, everyone does things half-assedly when it's something they really don't care about. And of course, they'd be extremely precise if it was something extremely personally significant.)

    By the way, check out this thread from PersonalityCafe:
    http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive...out-te-ti.html Post #9 is basically what I've been trying to communicate here.
    What do you think?
    I get what you're saying, but again, it depends. When it comes to finding my type, I want to be 100% certain, and it really bugs me when I don't know my type. I feel like I must spend every waking minute analyzing and figuring out my type when I feel uncertain about it. I'm also pretty nitpicky about foreign language and want to make sure every detail is grammatically correct and perfect, and I will settle for no less. But that's because I care about my type and about language. For things I don't feel strongly about, like some boring English paper, I will put in the minimum effort required to get a decent grade on it. I'm only an overachiever in subjects I care about.

    And about Te wanting to make decisions, I guess I want to decide on a type for myself, but I also want it to be correct, and even after I've decided, I'll keep adding more knowledge as it comes up in order to be more certain. Though somehow, the more information I get, the less certain I get it seems...

  6. #56
    Senior Member Vizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    I get what you're saying, but again, it depends. When it comes to finding my type, I want to be 100% certain, and it really bugs me when I don't know my type. I feel like I must spend every waking minute analyzing and figuring out my type when I feel uncertain about it. I'm also pretty nitpicky about foreign language and want to make sure every detail is grammatically correct and perfect, and I will settle for no less. But that's because I care about my type and about language. For things I don't feel strongly about, like some boring English paper, I will put in the minimum effort required to get a decent grade on it. I'm only an overachiever in subjects I care about.

    And about Te wanting to make decisions, I guess I want to decide on a type for myself, but I also want it to be correct, and even after I've decided, I'll keep adding more knowledge as it comes up in order to be more certain. Though somehow, the more information I get, the less certain I get it seems...
    The more you learn, the more questions you ask. Ah, isn’t that the beauty of life? (And I’m not being sarcastic at all when I say that.)

    I've always found it interesting how adamant you are at deciding on a type.
    Would you be satisfied with understanding the rules of MBTI but, at the end of it, not deciding on a type for yourself? Or is that unthinkable because reaching a conclusion is the reason you’re doing all this anyway?
    In a way, I'm a bit different. I'm happy to "merely" understand the whole typing system and am not too fussed about settling on any type. Why? Probably because I don't take MBTI or any system that tries to type the human personality - a HUGE endeavour - too seriously anyway. I guess you could say I’m here mainly for the ride.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

  7. #57
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    The more you learn, the more questions you ask. Ah, isn’t that the beauty of life? (And I’m not being sarcastic at all when I say that.)
    Indeed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    I've always found it interesting how adamant you are at deciding on a type.
    Would you be satisfied with understanding the rules of MBTI but, at the end of it, not deciding on a type for yourself? Or is that unthinkable because reaching a conclusion is the reason you’re doing all this anyway?
    In a way, I'm a bit different. I'm happy to "merely" understand the whole typing system and am not too fussed about settling on any type. Why? Probably because I don't take MBTI or any system that tries to type the human personality - a HUGE endeavour - too seriously anyway. I guess you could say I’m here mainly for the ride.
    I'm not entirely sure why this is so important to me. I guess I just feel like my type is a part of me, so I must know that I have the correct type, otherwise I've either failed to fully comprehend the system, or worse--I've misunderstood myself. I don't think I would be at all satisfied to merely understand the typing system and not know my own type. One of my main reasons for my interest in typology is so that I can achieve a better understanding of myself, so if I couldn't accomplish that, I would likely become disenchanted with typology, feeling like there's no real point.

  8. #58
    Senior Member Vizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    I'm not entirely sure why this is so important to me. I guess I just feel like my type is a part of me, so I must know that I have the correct type, otherwise I've either failed to fully comprehend the system, or worse--I've misunderstood myself. I don't think I would be at all satisfied to merely understand the typing system and not know my own type. One of my main reasons for my interest in typology is so that I can achieve a better understanding of myself, so if I couldn't accomplish that, I would likely become disenchanted with typology, feeling like there's no real point.
    I expected to get an answer like that from you. Remember that Fi is also a rational/judging function...so it's no less analytical than Ti. What you said above sounds like the personalized Fi approach to analysing and understanding...supported by Te.

    I'm just as fascinated by MBTI...but I've noticed that you and I approach it quite differently.

    It was especially telling when you said that you'd be disenchanted with MBTI if, at the end of it all, it couldn't help you understand yourself. Keeping in mind that everybody is interested in learning about themselves anyway, I think a Ti-user would be extremely satisfied if he/she could learn something good about personality typing...even if they couldn't "harmonise" it with themselves or their own values.
    Can you see where I'm coming from?
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

  9. #59
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    I expected to get an answer like that from you. Remember that Fi is also a rational/judging function...so it's no less analytical than Ti. What you said above sounds like the personalized Fi approach to analysing and understanding...supported by Te.

    I'm just as fascinated by MBTI...but I've noticed that you and I approach it quite differently.

    It was especially telling when you said that you'd be disenchanted with MBTI if, at the end of it all, it couldn't help you understand yourself. Keeping in mind that everybody is interested in learning about themselves anyway, I think a Ti-user would be extremely satisfied if he/she could learn something good about personality typing...even if they couldn't "harmonise" it with themselves or their own values.
    Can you see where I'm coming from?
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'm not ruling out the possibility of being an INFP at this point, though I'm not convinced from this alone that I've been mistyped. Every description I've read of Ti has confirmed that I use that function, while only some parts of Te descriptions resonate with me.

    I'm curious though, how valid/accurate would you consider the points on this function questionnaire (especially for Te and Ti)?

  10. #60
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Te:


    Ti:
    The mech is way cooler.

Similar Threads

  1. Is it possible that I may be using some combination of Fi, Te, Ti, and Te?
    By The Great One in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-19-2016, 07:38 PM
  2. Do Ti and Te map onto deduction vs. induction?
    By funtensity in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 03:15 PM
  3. Ti and Te arguing: The film critic vs. the lawyer
    By The Great One in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 06:22 PM
  4. Could I have mixed Ti and Te?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM
  5. Ti's and Te's and Trees
    By labyrinthine in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO