User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 80

Thread: Ti and Te

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    Glad you're such a good sport. I think the issue lies in the bolded bit. You say you Ti-analyze and are a Ti-user...but your definition of Ti seems to be Te, and vice versa. Other posters in this thread have given examples of how the two functions differ. Does it help?
    Not particularly. I think we're not all on the same page, or at least I'm certainly not. Anyways, I think my statements in the OP are too easy to interpret in different ways, so while I could see myself in the Ti descriptions, I can also see myself in the Te descriptions depending on how I interpret it and what examples I happen to think of. Though in general I think I relate more to the Ti descriptions (that are apparently Te). I'll have to look into this more because if I've got the wrong understanding about Ti, then I very well may have mistyped myself.

    But then another problem is, if I'm an INFP and not an INTP, that would mean I don't use Fe, and I'm pretty sure at this point that I do...

  2. #32

    Default

    So I've been reading Ti vs. Te threads, but the problem is I can't tell which function I relate to more. Maybe I'll post an example of my thought process, and someone can help clarify whether it's Ti or Te.

    Last year I had an interesting math class. There were only six people in the class (including myself), and there was a lot of flexibility with how you could solve problems, which I liked very much. If a method seemed too meticulous or annoying to me, I would often invent my own way to solve it, which often involved guess-and-check. I got pretty good doing at guess-and-check using the graphing function on my calculator. It saved me a lot of time and energy. Another thing is that I had a somewhat unique way of solving convergence/divergence problems. Instead of using the formulas like everyone else (I find following a long step-by-step process annoying), I would look at the function and estimate whether it converged or diverged by assigning approximate, greater than/less than values to the parts, and essentially learning the rules of the system. For example, (in a summation equation where x approaches infinity) x^x > x! > x^5 > 5. Therefore, a function like (x! + 5) / (x^5 + 7) would diverge because x! is greater than x^5, and the constants are irrelevant.

    I think this is Ti, but since I seem to have the wrong impression of Ti, I can't be sure. My classmates were mostly Te users (I think) who followed the formulas exactly and did all the steps the way they were supposed to, and I don't think they really understood my strange methods.

  3. #33
    Mr. Blue Array entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    15,775

    Default

    Ti, cause a Te would never count the people in class as people but divide into male or female. Also S, cause a N would never notice that there are people in class

    Jokes aside, you basically have the same problem like any intp and it will be your downfall in the end. You cant catalogue and categorize the world just like that and say thats Te and thats Ti. All things are always a product of the interconnection of the functions, so for example your behaviour shows that you are an intp cause you try to systematize a thing that is not categorisizeable.

    it wont work if you look in Ti or te in people, you can only see people and their whole sum. If you keep denieing you that and run thru the world analyzing people like mathematical systems, you'll never understand what it means to be human. Trust, love, hate, devotion will forever be alien irrational concepts to you, yet they play an integral part in every human analysis
    Progressive Trance
    Time will explain.
    ~Persuasion - by Jane Austen

  4. #34

    Default

    Wow, I have just concluded that I am paying too much for my education (Ni). Wait 'til you xNTP's get a load of this: my personality theory professor just stated that Ti is "subjective" and NOT conducive to scientific work. Apparently, Te is more "objective" and better suited for science.

    I just about poked a hole through my cheek with my tongue, trying not to state several examples as to why this is simply wrong. Hopefully those who aren't idiots took the fact that she considered Ti to be "cold" and too "emotional" to succeed in science to be an indicator of how qualified she is to be teaching a 400 level personality course. I realize this Jungian/MBTI stuff isn't the most popular in contemporary professional psychology, but come on.

  5. #35
    Mr. Blue Array entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    15,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaconicSesquipedalia View Post
    Wow, I have just concluded that I am paying too much for my education (Ni). Wait 'til you xNTP's get a load of this: my personality theory professor just stated that Ti is "subjective" and NOT conducive to scientific work. Apparently, Te is more "objective" and better suited for science.

    I just about poked a hole through my cheek with my tongue, trying not to state several examples as to why this is simply wrong. Hopefully those who aren't idiots took the fact that she considered Ti to be "cold" and too "emotional" to succeed in science to be an indicator of how qualified she is to be teaching a 400 level personality course. I realize this Jungian/MBTI stuff isn't the most popular in contemporary professional psychology, but come on.
    The problem I see here is that the further you go with function theory the more you start to categorize people and by labeling them you can easily discourage them to do the thing they are good at. Especially from young age on til adulthood you change so often, its not like you are born intj or entp.

    Look at me for example, I majored in german and english literature studies in school and barely made it thru school cause I never was able to grasp theories from physics nor was I able to understand math. I am the best human calculator on earth and I can fix every broken electric or mechanic piece, I repair cars in the neighbourhood for money and I have a huge liking towards mathematical models which fall in place or are well-rounded, like control engineering or programming. I am an idea generator and I can find multiple technical solutions to a problem, I am given the most impossible tasks at work, other people would need half a year of study for, but I am able to generate so many ideas in just 2 hours that its only left to my boss to figure which is good and which not.

    I didnt know I was able to do all that and when I finished school I had never dreamt to study natural sciences, tho I was always drawn to it. Now I am about to finish my master in engineering and I definitly want to do a PhD. I am not such a good learner and my grades suck, but my practical experience in the real world is already unmatched to the practical experience of most of my study colleges.

    What would have been now, if I was told after school, because I studied english and german I was a infp and my primary function Fi is this or that. I bet I'ld have never dared to make a shot for natural sciences. And that is what I mean, you have to give room for kids to make their own mistakes and to discover the world themselves. If you map their personality to them just like that at young age, you appeal to them cause you speak to their wish for identity every pubvertarian adult has and by doing so you influence them and destroy an independant development.

    I dont say that type theory isnt an inherently logical system, but it is with all things from science that the big picture plays a role as well and the place and meaning some things are used for or interpreted in. I am convinced Einstein had eaten the theories of fission if he had known they build the atomic bomb from it. Science without reason is very subjective, tho it always would claim to be the most objective of them all
    Progressive Trance
    Time will explain.
    ~Persuasion - by Jane Austen

  6. #36

    Default

    It's in my nature to want to categorize things, though; it's almost like a built-in heuristic for me to approach the world. I can agree that personality is dynamic, but does that change the applicability of this system, insofar as your approach to others? Also, if you have the stance that it is dynamic, why bother to display your type? As far as I've seen, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary here to elect not to. :P

  7. #37
    Senior Member Array redcheerio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaconicSesquipedalia View Post
    Wow, I have just concluded that I am paying too much for my education (Ni). Wait 'til you xNTP's get a load of this: my personality theory professor just stated that Ti is "subjective" and NOT conducive to scientific work. Apparently, Te is more "objective" and better suited for science.

    I just about poked a hole through my cheek with my tongue, trying not to state several examples as to why this is simply wrong. Hopefully those who aren't idiots took the fact that she considered Ti to be "cold" and too "emotional" to succeed in science to be an indicator of how qualified she is to be teaching a 400 level personality course. I realize this Jungian/MBTI stuff isn't the most popular in contemporary professional psychology, but come on.
    Um, yeah. According to that logic, Einstein, Feynman, Tesla, da Vinci, and other historical figures/ Nobel Prize winners should not have been working in science.

    I agree she shouldn't be teaching a personality course.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Um, yeah. According to that logic, Einstein, Feynman, Tesla, da Vinci, and other historical figures/ Nobel Prize winners should not have been working in science.
    LOL that is virtually identical to the response in my head. If Ti = not good for scientific endeavors, that noise in the background is a bulldozer, rapidly approaching the Jungian/MBTI construct.

  9. #39
    pathwise dependent Array FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    da Vinci and Feynman were probably ENTjs....da Vinci maybe even ESTj. So yeah 50-50 among the geniuses, lol.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    da Vinci and Feynman were probably ENTjs....da Vinci maybe even ESTj. So yeah 50-50 among the geniuses, lol.
    I've seen him listed as INTP plenty. And the correct term for him would be polymath. :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO