• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi is self-centered.

F

figsfiggyfigs

In the spirit of the Fe Fakeness thread...

It has recently been mentioned that Fi is self-centered. Do you believe this statement to be true?

Last edited:

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
In a manner of speaking Fi is self-centered, because the only thing one can perceive is one's own emotions, and so empathy is exhibited as an intellectual exercise of 'how would that make me feel'. So this system of empathy is not really related to the feelings of others but the projection of the self's feelings on others; which can be described as self-centered, however I think you'll find Fi users are far more accommodating and sympathetic than Fe users, as the saying goes, Do for others as you would have done unto you- is characteristic of Fi and not Fe.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the same could be said for fe imo because it is YOU who is defining what is good for the group...others may think differently...like i think what's best is that people remain true to themselves...not just me and my definitions of what should be.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm no expert, but I think that while Fe at an unhealthy extreme can be manipulative and yes, "fake", Fi at an unhealthy extreme can be selfish and thoughtless of others' feelings. But...those are the unhealthy extremes.

Yes, it is self-centred. That's not the same thing as selfish, although of course it can be that too.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In a manner of speaking Fi is self-centered, because the only thing one can perceive is one's own emotions, and so empathy is exhibited as an intellectual exercise of 'how would that make me feel'. So this system of empathy is not really related to the feelings of others but the projection of the self's feelings on others; which can be described as self-centered.

This.

/lazy post.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I think this page explains it well, as it applies to NFs in general...

Idealists devote much of thier time to pursuing their own identity, their personal meaning, what they signify-their true Self. It is not, mind you, that they are self-centered, self-serving, or selfish; they do focus on the Self of others as surely as their own. But whether their own or another's, NF's are centered on the Self, concentrated on it, committed to it. And the Self upon which they focus is not the Self that the other types think of when they use the word. To the SP's, SJ's, and the NT's, the word 'self' (when they even bother to think about it) simply indicates their separateness from other people, or, at most, their individual actions or their point of view. To the Idealists, however, Self has a capital "S" and is a special part of the person- kind of personal essence or core of being, the vital seed of their nature, not unlike the Soul or Spirit of religious thought. NF's are passionate about finding this true Self, about becoming who they are, or self-actualized. Idealists often dedicate their lives to this kind of self-actualization-seeking to become realized, trying to get in touch with the person they were meant to be, and to have an identity which is truly theirs. "How can I become the person I really am?" they ask.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i don't know about all fi-users, but in my case hell yes.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think this page explains it well, as it applies to NFs in general...

Definitely! I always understood that to be extremely selfish though.
or...
"Self-ish".

It has driven me nuts- the constant analysis, reanalysis of self, where I belong in the world as a whole, changing and reinventing. It seems so wrong. My Fi value goes against selfishness, but my Fi is the thing that makes me selfish.

With a capital S I suppose. :laugh:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It has recently been mentioned that Fi is self-centered. Do you believe this statement to be true?

@bold: You picked the wrong word if the intention was to be provocative ... :laugh:

The hot button word would have been selfish.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@bold: You picked the wrong word if the intention was to be provocative ... :laugh:

The hot button word would have been selfish.

Yeah, all this intended troll did was get everyone to nod in silent agreement.

People would likely have reacted to "selfish" with a nod and a "yeah, sometimes."

I know that's what I would say. :D

And I don't think YWIR was trolling, it's not as though she goes around the forums doing nothing but troll.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People would likely have reacted to "selfish" with a nod and a "yeah, sometimes."

I know that's what I would say. :D

Yeah, you're right. She should have had Elfboy think of a provocative word. "Fiery and righteous" or some equally flamboyant speech. :laugh: (Retracts YWIR's troll card).

"Fi users are stupid." Discuss.

(I originally typed Fi-doms, my god, I AM self-centred.)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Fi, Fe, Fi, Fe... Can't we all get along? :cry:

This is why I'm an IxFx... :dry:

This thread is invariably going to generate less argument and hostility than its Fe counterpart because people just aren't as offended by allegations that they might be self-centred (or even selfish) as they are by the suggestion that they're fake. Makes sense, given the emphasis these days on individualism and marching to the beat of your own drum. Everyone wants to be UNIQUE.