User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    This thread is invariably going to generate less argument and hostility than its Fe counterpart because people just aren't as offended by allegations that they might be self-centred (or even selfish) as they are by the suggestion that they're fake. Makes sense, given the emphasis these days on individualism and marching to the beat of your own drum. Everyone wants to be UNIQUE.
    To be honest, I think that on balance being selfish is worse than being fake. I guess I really am an Fe user!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    To be honest, I think that on balance being selfish is worse than being fake. I guess I really am an Fe user!
    Interesting. Perhaps I was too quick to extrapolate from personal opinions and interpretations. I still do think though that there's a cult of individualism in society today that extolls self-centredness (what a horrible word) to some degree.

For what it's worth, the idea of being fake or being called fake sets my teeth on edge, whereas I have been called selfish several times without feeling similarly extreme reactions. While being perceived as selfish is a sobering thing to think about, it's something I usually acknowledge and work on trying to fix. On the other hand, I remember times when people have accused me of saying something just for the sake of being polite or have questioned the sincerity of my motives. I don't get mad very often but comments like that invariably make me see red. So whereas I perceive selfishness as something that can certainly be worked on and amended without being antithetical to my being, being fake ... I can't really see a cure for that, because it's as though you've already made a pact with yourself deciding that honesty isn't enough. That's just my two cents anyway.

Ginkgo

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

It's self-centered. No doubt. But with enough development it can come out the other side and be the basis for incredible empathy and compassion. Most functions kind of blow with inadequate development.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    What is your opinion on Victor?
    I think he's, um, kinda cryptic but also smart, I guess... Why?

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    Interesting. Perhaps I was too quick to extrapolate from personal opinions and interpretations. I still do think though that there's a cult of individualism in society today that extolls self-centredness (what a horrible word) to some degree.
    Oh, I totally agree with you on that. And I seriously dislike it. I think that hideous problems are caused by selfishness and any friendship/relationship I've had which has been terminated, it's pretty much come back to that. Believe me, I don't want to be fake either. I think it's just, some people think that any attempt to smooth things socially, or to be civil to someone you don't like, or whatever, is "fake". And I have no problem with those things. I don't seen the point in running around being emotionally naked all the time; it feels uncomfortable to me and I think it causes problems. And even if you have good reason to dislike someone, why not be civil?

I do realise though that sometimes you have to be "selfish" to an extent and it can be good; like for emotional self-preservation, not letting other people drain you, not letting yourself be taken advantage of etc. In fact, very recently I've been having to retrain myself to stop my gut reaction that "oh no, you can't be like that! YOu can't say no! You're being selfish!". Nonsense. Just say no - you're being perfectly reasonable and looking after yourself. But then there are many people who are users, who don't care about others' feelings and needs, who do whatever they want because it feels good. I despise that.

I don't get accused of either fakeness or selfishness much - maybe self-righteousness. But with those other things I think I'm doing ok.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I think he's, um, kinda cryptic but also smart, I guess... Why?
    See makeup thread.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

I have a new one.

"Is trolling an Fi behaviour? Everywhere I go, I see Fi users, derailing threads, calling other members names for the views they happen to hold, disrupting harmony and attacking the social cohesion of the forums. They have been asked numerous times to stop but they keep going. So is trolling a characteristic of Fi users?"

MBTI
    IsFJ

Who sez Fe can't be selfish?

No one, but the thread isn't about Fe, it's about Fi.
    ME, ME, ME. I WANT TO TALK ABOUT ME AND MY FUNCTIONS.