• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you feel if they found out who you were on typology central?

Lark

Does the OP have an secret identity and they are posting from deep within a totalitarian state which prohibits it? :laugh:

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
This is the reason why I've never had a public blog.

And the reason why I've used sockpuppet accounts on forums in the past.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would feel a little uncomfortable. Lots of things on here that I wouldn't care to tell people, but I honestly don't think they would care. I'd probably downplay it a little and then assume that since the world doesn't revolve around me, they aren't going to delve too deeply into my post history here. I don't get into high-drama relationships with people, so I don't see a reason where someone would want to use it against me.

wolfy

awsm
I remember Haight said don't post anything you wouldn't want your mum to read. I thought that was pretty good advice.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wouldn't mind, hahaha I asked a few of my friends to join. Alas neglected to the last. they went huh and carried on with what they were doing and I carried on with what I am doing. Although family would be different by default of being family. :cheese:

I would probably shrug either way. :shrug:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Since I tend to keep things for myself in "real life" and speak more openly about things here, some things might be awkward and uncomfortable, but I don't think I said anything which I would really have to feel ashamed about.

Lark

I remember Haight said don't post anything you wouldn't want your mum to read. I thought that was pretty good advice.

Sounds like good advice about sharing in general. Its the advice which I use when deciding on updates for Facebook.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't really care...but it's because i rarely say anything that i care if others read...but the reason i do that is because i care..haha

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I've told my folks about the forum, and even tell them occasionally about some forum friends... However, I feel very awkward talking to them about what I'm discussing/what's happening in the forum. Separate spheres and all that jazz. :shrug:

Noon

I don't think they need to appreciate it.

Which begs the question, why am I even here? I don't need to either.

I don't think they need to, either :mellow:
My point was that there would be nothing too embarrassing because the majority of them wouldn't even get it. It would hence not be very interesting to them either, so even if they did, it would not be something "juicy" enough to gossip about.

Did I offend you or something?

T

ThatGirl

Some people on here give us their real pictures and info, and others are very anonymous.

How comfortable would you be if you were "outed" and everyone you knew in real life knew what you had written on this forum?

Honestly I would be a bit wary of their ability to comprehend the context in which everything was written. Most of the things I have posted on the forum, I have said to people, one way or another irl. The only thing I have gotten back was they didn't understand, they were offended, not interested, or wanted to fight against me. That's why I am here to figure things out instead of speaking to them directly.

I really don't know where their motivation to read what I have posted on here would come from. I assume it wouldn't be because they wanted to get to know me better. Or even if they did, that they could understand the information in its proper context.

KDude

I don't think they need to, either :mellow:
My point was that there would be nothing too embarrassing because the majority of them wouldn't even get it. It would hence not be very interesting to them either, so even if they did, it would not be something "juicy" enough to gossip about.

Did I offend you or something?

You didn't offend me at all. If anything, I'm just joking about myself. I do wonder why I'm here sometimes. I don't need to talk intensely about the theory.. plus, there's no cake. Or sex.

Anyways, I guess it depends on the person if they have a hard time understanding it. I just skip to the cliffnotes version and say it's a theory that classifies people's patterns around 16 types. I don't know anyone who doesn't get it. If I point them to a test, it's even easier. Just try that. Whether they agree with the results is another thing, but I think most people get the idea. It probably wouldn't be as popular as it is otherwise.

rav3n

Family and friends, yeah, whatever. Work related contacts and clients, disaster.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like to compartmentalize my life... this site has its own compartment. I am NEVER pleased when one compartment spills into another one :thelook:

^this.

KDude

Family and friends, yeah, whatever. Work related contacts and clients, disaster.

You guys haven't lived until you have a mental breakdown or psychotic reaction to drugs and get hospitalized in front of your friends.

This way, you're rarely embarassed by things later.

I once read this interview with Robert Downey Jr.. He said something along the same lines.. Even though he was a celebrity and the scrutiny was greater for him than myself. But basically, he said that flipping out and going to prison in front of the entire world was kind of a blessing in disguise. He feels free now.. like he has nothing to lose, as far as his reputation goes.

Noon

You didn't offend me at all. If anything, I'm just joking about myself. I do wonder why I'm here sometimes. I don't need to talk intensely about the theory.. plus, there's no cake. Or sex.

:laugh: Haha

Cool, just checking.

Anyways, I guess it depends on the person if they have a hard time understanding it. I just skip to the cliffnotes version and say it's a theory that classifies people's patterns around 16 types. I don't know anyone who doesn't get it. If I point them to a test, it's even easier. Just try that. Whether they agree with the results is another thing, but I think most people get the idea. It probably wouldn't be as popular as it is otherwise.

Yeah, all of them get the premise of personality typing, but as far as function dynamics, shadow theory, Jungian terminology, and the enneagram, aka the parts where it starts to get boring and arguably pedantic, they lose interest and would rather move on to something more useful. I don't blame them. Even I occasionally get tired of things like "Fi vs Fe" and "[Dominant]-[Tertiary] loop" and all that. A lot of the threads I've participated in have been threads like that as opposed to things such as in the sexuality and mature topics subforum, so I assume they would be like, "eh, whatever" at the best and "lol get a new hobby" at the worst. But it's not like they don't already know that I'm generally pretty nerdy.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I dunno. I might find it a bit uncomfortable but I'd also be vaguely....I'm looking for a word like 'excited' but milder. I'm really not open with my thoughts at all IRL, and I probably seem quiet and bland to most people. People IRL really never know what I'm thinking, so there's a rather narcissistic part of me that likes the idea of being found out, having someone stumble across the stuff I wrote and going, 'wow, I never really knew this person until now' and being intrigued.

The only person I really wouldn't want to read my posts is my dad, because of the not-so-flattering things I've said about him on a handful of posts here. They were all true and I don't regret saying them, and I don't think he'd be particularly surprised by anything as most of it's come up between us, but I think he'd be overwhelmed by seeing it all laid out at once like that. Neither of us likes emotional drama, and that would bring up plenty of it.

I've been on the other side of this...I found a bunch of forum posts online by someone I regularly see at family holiday gatherings. She got pretty personal. I never told her of what I read.

rav3n

You guys haven't lived until you have a mental breakdown or psychotic reaction to drugs and get hospitalized in front of your friends.

This way, you're rarely embarassed by things later.

I once read this interview with Robert Downey Jr.. He said something along the same lines.. Even though he was a celebrity and the scrutiny was greater for him than myself. But basically, he said that flipping out and going to prison in front of the entire world was kind of a blessing in disguise. He feels free now.. like he has nothing to lose, as far as his reputation goes.
Can't say that's ever happened to me before but it does make sense what once you've been vulnerable like that and lived to tell the tale, it's not going to bother you if something lesser happens.

Work would be disastrous, not because of any behaviours but that this type of forum and focused interest would be considered retarded, at least from one of the most conservative industry's perspective.