12 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default Activism and MBTI type.

Activists are often stereotyped as being NF, or at least ExFx types, but I don't think this is valid. There are many possible causes and many ways in which one can be an activist.

I must admit I was disappointed recently when I was having a conversation with someone familiar with MBTI and they basically said that they were not/could not be an activist because they were an INTP (and not social enough). I must admit I was taken aback, but at the time I let it slide.

What are your thoughts on the relationship between activism and MBTI type?

MBTI
    IsFJ

I think INTPs can very much be activists, as well as other NTs (when they get out of their ivory towers! ). For example, despite his reputation as an aloof "man of science", Einstein was also interested in political and humanitarian causes.

I'm pretty damn sure SJs and SPs can be outspoken activists as well, but I can't recall any good examples right now...

Umm. Yeah, anyone could be an activist. I think the difference is in the details and how they'd go about it. Not that someone does it at all. And even then, it's iffy, I think. If I were still to rely on some stereotypes, then an INFP activist might enjoy getting a lot done even without direct involvement.. Some might spend a lot of time writing, for example. Lenore Thomson used an example of an ISFP activist type in her book - he was the type of guy who was working for homeless shelters, and took it upon himself to be out and about in the city, inviting people, helping them, and being on his feet a lot, so to speak. Her book in particular makes a big contrast in this type of mobility that Se types tend to have. That he wanted to help at all isn't necessarily type related. He just happened to be a good person. That's not something you get from Personality, I think.. but one's morals or experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

The ExFx types I know sometimes don't even have the attention span to really push a single cause.

That being said, I have a pretty close INTP friend who's busy with a political activism organization at the moment. And she's just one of many. Being an NT =/= being unable to advocate a cause. It's all so subjective.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    IsFJ

Oh! And what about Noam Chomsky? He's an INTP activist, isn't he?

MBTI
    INTP

I'm a strong activist

In my head

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Ok, what about the relationship between different activist styles and type?

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    (when they get out of their ivory towers! )
    Hey, publishing in peer reviewed journals and writing letters to the editor can sometimes be a form of activism!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Activists are often stereotyped as being NF, or at least ExFx types, but I don't think this is valid. There are many possible causes and many ways in which one can be an activist.

I must admit I was disappointed recently when I was having a conversation with someone familiar with MBTI and they basically said that they were not/could not be an activist because they were an INTP (and not social enough). I must admit I was taken aback, but at the time I let it slide.

What are your thoughts on the relationship between activism and MBTI type?
    Activity: TJ.
    Activism: FP.

The dichotomy of energy and control.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I think mostly NF's.

NT's, though may feel passionate towards an ideal, may ultimately find fighting for a cause... hopeless from the start. Though not always the case. Instead, they become cynical.

With idealistic SP's, I think the focus is more towards how hey lead their lifestyle. For example, I know a few ISTP hippies that are hardcore bicyclists in order to cut down on their carbon footprint. They're also likely to join your good cause if they believe in it.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    fool

When I worked for Greenpeace for a few months, I mostly met INFPs and INTJs there. It was the biggest INFP concentration though. I know many of the ENFP I know are active in some organisation/s, as well. It makes sense with Fi, maybe. I did some volunteering work too but in no way was I as immersed in it as the INFPs were, to whom it may be a total lifestyle choice. To me it is more like "a job done" that matches my values, just one area of my life.