User Tag List

First 311121314152363 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 721

Thread: Fe Fakeness

  1. #121
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default


  2. #122
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default



    Practicing the art of trolling?

    Fe= Fake and Fi= the special snowflake. How that?










    Joking of course.

  3. #123
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,441

    Default

    Fe might go long with the cultural norm, while Fi could the one one to recognize universal values and stand against it.
    So either functional attitude could support or oppose racism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I'm finally putting the work in and reading 'Psychological Types'.

    I have not grabbed ahold of that particular primordial image yet.
    Yeh; it can be hard to grasp and separate out key points like that in Jung's writing.
    Thanks to INTP/Naama for highlighting this one.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  4. #124
    Filthy Apes! Kalach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    There's two different definitions of objective at play in this thread, one that means "without the distortion of emotion" and another that means "stipulates according to cues in the environment". The first is, for want of a better expression, a value, and is associated with introverted thinking. The second is (pretty much) the whole of the technical content of the claim that extroverted judgment is objective. (Looks outside to the objects, not inside to the subject.) That first definition is a value for Ti because--and here I'll launch into a possibly novel claim about the nature of cognition--there is no such thing as Ti without Fe.

    I mean to say that, literally, there is no cognition "Ti" without there being cognition "Fe". The two cannot exist alone. You cannot embark upon evaluation of environmental affect without some inner anchor of judgment that isn't tied to the environment. And I don't know how this is true just yet, nor exactly how to express it, particularly when it comes to trying to spell out "Fe" in real words that actually describe what kind of cognition happens (as opposed to say describing behavior). For the present I'll make do with evaluation, environment, stipulate, and so on. But in any case, this is not a requirement that you be conscious of both kinds of judgment. It's just the suggestion that one cannot occur without containing some aspect of the other.

    And this is great, right? Extroverted feeling, doing what it does and being all objective, calls upon a person to alter evaluation of data to accord with (changing) environmental stipulations and introverted thinking plods along regardless, removing the taint of emotion and building independent evaluation instead. That's a pleasant and useful dynamic balance right there, one set of evaluative processes pulling one way, another set pulling the other way, both ideally adding their strengths and resulting in a complex third judgment. Holla back, consciousness.

    So, in the end, to identify Fe as in general fake requires Ti as a system to tolerate untruth quite well. Does it? Naturally, there should be questions of the relative consciousness of the Fe and the Ti but, and you know what, I don't even know what this all means, it might even be something really simple.

    But not something about authenticity as determined by some other judgment system. Maybe just something about, pffft, whatever, I don't know, your mom.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

    Boy meets Grr

  5. #125
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    MBTI
    ZZZZ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Not only is this definition vague but it hasn't been properly framed; for example, in MBTI speak, Fe is actually "objective"
    Everyone should move on from that. I realize Jung used that vocabulary but its bloody confusing. This is not the 1950's

    Objective as understood nowdays is as follows:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/objective
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subjective


    and

  6. #126
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Yeah, I’m sorry, but there’s nothing ‘objectively objective’ about the human thought process. The product may have ‘objective’ status once it’s screened by enough people, but a thought process can not be ‘objectively objective’ (though I’ve noticed Te’ers are the most likely to kid themselves and believe so). Fi is right there, at least in the back seat, telling Te where to go- and the less a Te’er is willing to acknowledge that, the more annoying they are to deal with. Not simply because it’s ‘rude’, but because it’s anti-dialogical (rendering discourse a moot point) and because they tend to believe they are asserting THE TRUTH AS IT SHOULD APPLY TO EVERYONE instead of what seems true to them (however ‘clearly’ they see it).
    Sorry, ZBuck, let me clear this up a bit. I can see I was a tad careless with my statement, as I am generalizing a bit and applying each to their purview of interest. I used my handy shorthand there and didn't make that clear.

    When I say, Te'ers are easier to convince, it's because I can point to some effect or object in the world and say, "Look, here are concrete examples of how your argument fails." Te'ers, esp STJ's, often say, "Well, I am wrong then." Pretty clean. And I don't have to ... be careful how I tell them. I can just be as blunt as that, and they are not generally offended. And when it comes to "people / emo" stuff, they can be unaware of that dynamic, so either dismiss it as irrelevant, or are generally accepting of any shared info, unless it pertains to them personally. That's another matter I won't expand on as it's not relevant atm.

    When I say Fe'ers are harder, it's within the context of their purview of interest, people. I can point to a situation, and an Fe'er will say, "You could have avoided that by doing X, Y & Z." or "Isn't it obvious what should have been done?" If I disagree, it's a much harder argument to make, because we are dealing with trying to evaluate a subjective topic in an objective way. And, an Fe'er will generally object to the kind of approach made above to the Te'er. I have to couch things in a more pleasing fashion, such as "Hmm, you are so knowledgeable about this stuff, but have you considered that your answer might be lacking enough information in order to come to this conclusion?" It seems that one must be more considerate to not offend the sense of social propriety, that there's a "right" way to talk about disagreeing.

    Remember, both think they are RIGHT, and need to be proven wrong - both start from the vantage point of "I am right."

    I am not saying Te'ers are necessarily inherently more truthful or objective though. Not at all. Intractability is certainly in evidence with them as much as anyone can be intractable.

    It seems to me like I’m hearing an argument that INTJs ‘work with details and get frustrated at having to incorporate feeling judgment into their reasoning’, having to take Fe rules into account while looking for ‘the truth’, like that’s the crux of the problem. But honestly, I think sometimes Te likes to fool itself and believe it’s objective- as if it’s possible to think without adding some element of feeling judgment- when it’s actually largely fueled by Fi agenda. This is most obvious when the points being made look irrational to everyone but the person making them (and anyone who happens to share a similar emo-charged sentiment). It isn’t that Te’ers aren’t willing to incorporate ‘feeling judgment’ so much as they aren’t willing to incorporate others’ feeling judgment- or any judgment that doesn’t already match their own- into a working common ‘truth’ base to build mutual understanding on. It’s a potential shortcoming of all Je dom & aux (in part, also, because perception is introverted- we're not as mercurial with external input). I don’t think the entire problem here is that the Fe’ers are expecting too much ‘politeness’ so much as they get frustrated with Te ‘misdirection’ back towards it’s own opinion over and over again. They are that in love with their own opinion sometimes. Reciprocally, it seems like Te’ers get frustrated when Fe’ers (but mostly Ti’ers, since Fe doms rarely get into these discussions) try to ‘misdirect’ them away from their isolated version of ‘objective truth’ (as Kalach put it in the other thread, “personalized objective truth”).
    I think it's that to them, the Fe rules are invisible to a certain extent? Even myself, someone who tries, very VERY hard not to offend, manages to do so on occasion. And I really study how not to!

    Maybe part of it is that Fe'ers look more at who the info is coming from and weight more on the person than the actual words? Te'ers want the info evaluated, not themselves so much? And they can feel that people are looking more at the messenger instead of the message? So they keep repeating the message, trying to get through?

    I know I've done that before, when I feel resistance, but am not sure where the resistance originates.

    Thinking out loud here ...

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    ^ +1. Anyone who thinks they're being 100% objective, and that they've freed themselves from bias and subjectivity, is seriously kidding themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by five View Post
    Agreed 100%.
    Of course. Goes without saying almost.

    Te does ranking, Ti does not.
    But Fe does a ranking too ... uses differently weighted criteria though. My experience has shown that Fe / Ti will care more about my paper credentials, Te / Fi more whether I can do what I say I can do. For example.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    EDIT: By the way, you sure you're not an ESTJ? They seem the most obsessed with rank/social class in my experience.
    I'm not sure this is a fair generalization to make.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  7. #127
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    hmm... I don't know, most of the people who I've seen display extreme emotions compared to the situation were xxfp's.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  8. #128
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by five View Post
    Everyone should move on from that. I realize Jung used that vocabulary but its bloody confusing. This is not the 1950's
    Got it. When it comes to communication, you expect everyone to meet you on your turf.

    Uh..... We're on a typology forum, and you are actively bringing cognitive functions into your arguments. So yes, it's ENTIRELY relevant to consider someone bringing a Jung vocab to this discussion, and you need to account for it. AND I still stand by my claim that your pithy little equation defintions were entirely inadequate and misleading.

    (You know, if you don't broaden out a bit here, I might end up confusing your perspective as something far more subjective than you claim it to be.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #129
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Yeah, I’m sorry, but there’s nothing ‘objectively objective’ about the human thought process. The product may have ‘objective’ status once it’s screened by enough people, but a thought process can not be ‘objectively objective’ (though I’ve noticed Te’ers are the most likely to kid themselves and believe so). Fi is right there, at least in the back seat, telling Te where to go- and the less a Te’er is willing to acknowledge that, the more annoying they are to deal with. Not simply because it’s ‘rude’, but because it’s anti-dialogical (rendering discourse a moot point) and because they tend to believe they are asserting THE TRUTH AS IT SHOULD APPLY TO EVERYONE instead of what seems true to them (however ‘clearly’ they see it).

    It seems to me like I’m hearing an argument that INTJs ‘work with details and get frustrated at having to incorporate feeling judgment into their reasoning’, having to take Fe rules into account while looking for ‘the truth’, like that’s the crux of the problem. But honestly, I think sometimes Te likes to fool itself and believe it’s objective- as if it’s possible to think without adding some element of feeling judgment- when it’s actually largely fueled by Fi agenda. This is most obvious when the points being made look irrational to everyone but the person making them (and anyone who happens to share a similar emo-charged sentiment). It isn’t that Te’ers aren’t willing to incorporate ‘feeling judgment’ so much as they aren’t willing to incorporate others’ feeling judgment- or any judgment that doesn’t already match their own- into a working common ‘truth’ base to build mutual understanding on. It’s a potential shortcoming of all Je dom & aux (in part, also, because perception is introverted- we're not as mercurial with external input). I don’t think the entire problem here is that the Fe’ers are expecting too much ‘politeness’ so much as they get frustrated with Te ‘misdirection’ back towards it’s own opinion over and over again. They are that in love with their own opinion sometimes. Reciprocally, it seems like Te’ers get frustrated when Fe’ers (but mostly Ti’ers, since Fe doms rarely get into these discussions) try to ‘misdirect’ them away from their isolated version of ‘objective truth’ (as Kalach put it in the other thread, “personalized objective truth”).
    This is a really, really good post. I relate to a lot of it.

    With regards to the bolded: there's a detail in here that would add further depth to your point and would also be a bit more fair towards Te folks like myself. That detail is: There's pure opinion, and then there's pure belief. A lot of opinions are pretty separate from any sort of beliefs or values, and are therefore pretty objective (and by "objective" I mean "not related to your feelings at all") -- e.g. This model of X product is of a higher quality, and costs less money, and therefore if you need an X product, this model would be a better choice. If there's no emotional involvement, then Te can be really great for that sort of objectivity.

    However, a lot of opinions on things go back to a belief, and it's safe to say that you're right that us Te/Fi types are in love with our beliefs. (I hadn't thought about that before but you are completely right about that!) And arguing about those opinions can be the most infuriating thing just about ever, not just for the people arguing with the Te-er but for the Te-er him/herself. The non-Te person is thinking "Why are they getting so worked up over a petty thing? Why aren't they listening to reason??" And the Te person is thinking either:
    1) "I am right and they are wrong and I am objective and they are not and THEY HAVE TO LISTEN TO ME!" <-- if, like you said, they aren't all that in touch with their Fi. Or
    2) "This isn't going anywhere. In order for them to convince me they'd have to overturn one of my core values and they will do that over my dead body. Might as well bow out now." <-- if they're in touch with Fi and recognize the futility of value arguments
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    EDIT: By the way, you sure you're not an ESTJ? They seem the most obsessed with rank/social class in my experience.
    I wouldn't say that. Most ESTJs I know don't really care about that. (I know I don't care about it -- I'm proud to be middle-middle/lower-middle class, and would be fine staying there.) I would attribute that more to enneagram, than MBTI -- mostly because the two people I know who are the most obsessed with class are an ENFP type 3 and an ENFJ type 3.

    I mean, yes, ESTJs care a lot about ranking things. Whether we admit it or not, ESTJs are all about hierarchies (though usually not in the traditional sense). We are always on the lookout for what "the best" thing is, or who is "the best" at doing something, on a particular scale that we've internalized. But I wouldn't pair that with social class, necessarily. It's like what we talked about on my thread, regarding ESTJs' differing definitions of "traditional".
    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Objectivity is just an illusion, caused by the over rationalization of ones own subjective view.
    +1
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  10. #130
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Wow, you people believe a bunch of nonsense.

    Refutation coming.

    **

    If objectivity is "just an illusion", then, according to your beliefs, if you show two people the same card with a number 5 on it and ask each of them what the number is, and one of them says the number is 4 and the other says the number is 5, then neither one of them is actually correct, as it's "just an illusion".

    I see the hole of flabby relativism you all find yourselves in, but some of us were smart enough to leave that back in college.

    Let me also say "surprise surprise!" that two INFJs would profess such retarded beliefs about Te.

    Doesn't sound at all like a description of Beebe's trickster function for the INFJ...

    Nope... not at all...


Similar Threads

  1. [Fe] Any INFJs who think Fe is "fake"?
    By SilkRoad in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 12:42 AM
  2. [NF] Other NF's hate salespeople's fake Fe?
    By Lily flower in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
  3. [Fe] Is Fe fake or manipulative?
    By jixmixfix in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 341
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 11:28 PM
  4. [Fe] Fe is fake and manipulative (proofs inside)
    By INTP in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 01:04 AM
  5. [Fe] Fe: No cute title...I just don't get it
    By sakuraba in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 09:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO