• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What MBTI type was Carl Jung

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6
Google is useless because it get's really confused with irrelevant info when you type that question in, for obvious reasons ;)

Can anyone help out? I would hazard a very rough guess he is some sort of iNtuitive and probably an introvert.

Also a source or definitive answer would be great!

TIA

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
www.youtube.com/watch?v=biu4ds63lqc

@ around 18min he is talking about how freud when he had thought of something then it was settled, and saying that he himself was doubting all along.
freud J and jung P

@ 28min he says:
"i was always characterized by thinking"
"and i had a great deal of intuition too"
"and i had definite difficulties with feeling"
"and my relationship with reality was not particulary brilliant"

so T dominant with intuition, because of P its Ti Ne. definite difficulties with feeling suggests to inferior Fe and the last sentense suggests to lower S than N, but better S than F

= INTP(TiNeSiFe)

people will try to say that he was ISTP INTJ or INFJ, but thats just bullshit. you can hear him give a diagnosis for his type here and its pointing to INTP. also on some documentary made after jung had died some personal friend/analyst of jungs said that jung was introverted thinking type with intuition, in MBTI terms that INTP. cba to find that documentary, but if i remember right it was one of those long documentaries that tou can find from youtube.

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6
www.youtube.com/watch?v=biu4ds63lqc

@ around 18min he is talking about how freud when he had thought of something then it was settled, and saying that he himself was doubting all along.
freud J and jung P

@ 28min he says:
"i was always characterized by thinking"
"and i had a great deal of intuition too"
"and i had definite difficulties with feeling"
"and my relationship with reality was not particulary brilliant"

so T dominant with intuition, because of P its Ti Ne. definite difficulties with feeling suggests to inferior Fe and the last sentense suggests to lower S than N, but better S than F

= INTP(TiNeSiFe)

people will try to say that he was ISTP INTJ or INFJ, but thats just bullshit. you can hear him give a diagnosis for his type here and its pointing to INTP. also on some documentary made after jung had died some personal friend/analyst of jungs said that jung was introverted thinking type with intuition, in MBTI terms that INTP. cba to find that documentary, but if i remember right it was one of those long documentaries that tou can find from youtube.

Thank you.

• Are you an authority on Jung?
  • How many people have you typed?
  • Do you keep a record of typings?
  • Are you certain you are an INTP? (I always give more weight to someone who is of the same type typing others like themselves). IOW it's easy to spot your own kind.
You asking me to treat your opinion as more authoritative, and I welcome that (Te). Just wanted to make sure that it is deservingly so. (Fi) I am new here so don't know anyone. (Se)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
He classified himself as a introverted thinking type (thus, IJ) with intuition as auxiliary (thus, INTJ). MBTI screwed up the functional ordering (inexcuseably so), thus sometimes he's thought about as INTP, but if you read his books he makes it clear that introverted thinking types are introverted rational types - IJs.

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6
He classified himself as a introverted thinking type (thus, IJ) with intuition as auxiliary (thus, INTJ). MBTI screwed up the functional ordering (inexcuseably so), thus sometimes he's thought about as INTP, but if you read his books he makes it clear that introverted thinking types are introverted rational types - IJs.

Interesting, thank you. Have you read his books?

I would think Ni vs Ne would be the key thing here...

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6
Furthermore (out of interest), has anyone of authority professionally, eg Keirsey, ever typed Jung?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

introverted thinking type with intuition translates to INTP in MBTI, not INTJ, its INTJ in socionics.

you are misunderstanding jungs rational/irrational concept. rational type in jungs term means rational(T or F) function as dominant function. MBTI doesent use rational/irrational in types, instead its divided into judging/perceiving type and functions.

P type in MBTI means that strongest perceiving/irrational function is extraverted and rational/judging is introverted. jung used Ti Ne, thats P type in MBTI and rational type in jungs terms. INTJ is judging type in MBTI and irrational in jungs typology. ENTJ is judging type in MBTI and rational in jungs terms.
INTP has dom rational/judging function and extraverted irrational/perceiving.
INTJ irrational introverted dom function(thus irrational type in jungs terms) and extraverted rational aux(thus judging in MBTI).
ENTJ rational dom(thus rational type in jung terms and J in MBTI) and irrational aux..

introverted rational type is not J type, but extraverted rational type is J.

so introverted thinking with intuition = INTP in MBTI.

and please dont start to argue about basic things like this. i cant even believe that someone would make the claims you are making. especially someone who has been on this site since 2007..

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting, thank you. Have you read his books?

I would think Ni vs Ne would be the key thing here...

dont listen to him, he doesent know what hes talking about and obviously havent read the book since his making that sort of statements.

anyways, what do you mean by "authority on jung"?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No, INTP, I'm 100% correct, I'm sorry. Read the book again: introverted thinking and introverted feeling types are introverted rationals, thus IJs. Just like extraverted thinking and extraverted feeling types are EJs. I understand MBTI has a different classification, but it's WRONG.
If you disagree, it's fine, but I personally think you're wrong.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, INTP, I'm 100% correct, I'm sorry. Read the book again: introverted thinking and introverted feeling types are introverted rationals, thus IJs. Just like extraverted thinking and extraverted feeling types are EJs. I understand MBTI has a different classification, but it's WRONG.
If you disagree, it's fine, but I personally think you're wrong.

lol. yes introverted thinking and feeling types are rational types, but not J. jung didnt use P/J types in his typology. MBTI doesent use rational/irrational type.

jung types types with irrational dom as irrational types. MBTI types irrational introverted types as J.

for jung its about dom function, for MBTI its about the extraverted function.

you are confusing MBTI with socionics, in socionics J type = jung rational type, because socionics uses J/P, but makes the distinction based on dom function like jung.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator#Lifestyle:_judgment.2Fperception_.28J.2FP.29

learn the basics. and this isnt a matter of opinion. if you read the topic it says MBTI type...

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6
dont listen to him, he doesent know what hes talking about and obviously havent read the book since his making that sort of statements.

anyways, what do you mean by "authority on jung"?

Is your first language English BTW, because I'm sensing maybe it isn't?

To answer your question though:
By authority I mean..
Have you read Jung's books?
Have you spent 100+hours on researching Jung?
Have you wrote any articles on Jung?
Have you had anything published on Jung?
Do lot of people respect your opinions on Jung (more than 10)?

etc.

The more Yes'es to those sort of questions above, the more one is an authority on a topic. Does that make sense?

I am not an authority on Jung, but I am a local authority (in the real world, within my community) at typing people and taking theory and applying it in the real world.

I keep a spreadsheet of everyone's I've typed with 100% certainty. It has 80 entries in it. Each one laboriously discussed and dissected with an INTP and ENTJ in my discussion circle constructed over a period of a few years. Accuracy is highly prized vs quantity.

uncommonentity

I know I'm an INTJ but I don't have like a boner for my type or anything but based on like every INTP I know and have ever known they wouldn't be bothered to categorize people they'd of just led a happy life of being them with no weird systematic creations. Simply put, if this Jung bloke was INTP he wouldn't of been fucked to even bother imagining up a personality system. He'd of also likely died with it. Not to mention he was a fat, ugly motherfucker and INTPs be sexy, fashionable and scrawny.

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6
I know I'm an INTJ but I don't have like a boner for my type .

The irony makes my head explode and you wouldn't go around parading like that if you were. You are not an INTJ uncommonentity, my very rough guess would be ISTP, but I haven't explored your post history.

20110920-mh7mp2tham9fbwiw5cqi8xn9gj.jpg

Before you launch into a big defence that you are and I'm not blah blah, just go read my post history here, and start adjusting to reality:

http://personalitycafe.com/members/five.html

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
only book from jung that i have read full and multiple times is psychological types. but i have read multiple articles on journal of analytical psychology(jungian journal), definitions from jung lexicon, podcasts from jungian analyst(incase you are interested www.jungian.ca/jung-podcasts/ ), pretty much everything i can find about jung from internet(like those few documentaries and interviews on youtube and we talked bit of jung in our personality psychology class.

i have spent way more than 100 hours reading jung, and even more on MBTI. i have let go on MBTI a bit after reading jung and seeing how much superior his theories are over MBTIs stereotypes, surface view and generalizations on typology. MBTI is like the dummy version from jungs typology.

i havent wrote any articles on jung, but i have made several in depth walls of posts on this and two other forums. im kinda writing one long article on jung, but i dont have a computer atm(using phone atm) and i have to study other stuff for school atm.

i dont know anyone irl who is interested on jung and hard to say how many people read/like my posts on forums. usually people dont oppose what i say, simply because there isnt many people into jung on this or other forums.

you can find some posts i have written if you search my posts.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
only book from jung that i have read full and multiple times is psychological types. but i have read multiple articles on journal of analytical psychology(jungian journal), definitions from jung lexicon, podcasts from jungian analyst(incase you are interested www.jungian.ca/jung-podcasts/ ), pretty much everything i can find about jung from internet(like those few documentaries and interviews on youtube and we talked bit of jung in our personality psychology class.

i have spent way more than 100 hours reading jung, and even more on MBTI. i have let go on MBTI a bit after reading jung and seeing how much superior his theories are over MBTIs stereotypes, surface view and generalizations on typology. MBTI is like the dummy version from jungs typology.

i havent wrote any articles on jung, but i have made several in depth walls of posts on this and two other forums. im kinda writing one long article on jung, but i dont have a computer atm(using phone atm) and i have to study other stuff for school atm.

i dont know anyone irl who is interested on jung and hard to say how many people read/like my posts on forums. usually people dont oppose what i say, simply because there isnt many people into jung on this or other forums.

So what do you do in your other free time? :troll:

uncommonentity

The irony makes my head explode and you wouldn't go around parading like that if you were. You are not an INTJ uncommonentity, my very rough guess would be ISTP, but I haven't explored your post history.

20110920-mh7mp2tham9fbwiw5cqi8xn9gj.jpg

Before you launch into a big defence that you are and I'm not blah blah, just go read my post history here, and start adjusting to reality:

http://personalitycafe.com/members/five.html

I refuse as I must continue my elaborate ruse mr certified genius sir rofl. You dun made a funny <3 ILY. You simply can't define anyone by their post history because it's their post history and they were in full control of writing it and not everything that is written can be proven as fact. Even this is manufactured and to assume it has basis is to assume I've given it a basis which is in itself is an absolutely ridiculous assumption.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
lol. yes introverted thinking and feeling types are rational types, but not J. jung didnt use P/J types in his typology. MBTI doesent use rational/irrational type.

jung types types with irrational dom as irrational types. MBTI types irrational introverted types as J.

for jung its about dom function, for MBTI its about the extraverted function.

you are confusing MBTI with socionics, in socionics J type = jung rational type, because socionics uses J/P, but makes the distinction based on dom function like jung.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator#Lifestyle:_judgment.2Fperception_.28J.2FP.29

learn the basics. and this isnt a matter of opinion. if you read the topic it says MBTI type...

The correct distinction is based on the dominant function, because introverted J types fit the behavior and thinking style that Jung associated with Fi and Ti. So whatever MBTI defines, it's wrong.

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6

Ok that is fine. I respect and believe your knowledge on Jung.

However how good is your typing now?
How old are you?

Furthermore I think anyone who has studied MBTI and Jung for a few years realises MBTI is just a simplification on Jung's work. It's popularism.

That's fine but it's also very damn useful being able to box people into 16 types. Not only is it useful but it correlates quite nicely with reality ;)