• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What MBTI type was Carl Jung

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Per your words: there are many of them, so I was hoping you could be something other than a :censored: and point me to which one it was.

I said i dont remember which one was it. my english cant be so bad that you couldnt be able to understand that..

But the question remains, why havent you done that google search before and watched every documentary you found?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I said i dont remember which one was it. my english cant be so bad that you couldnt be able to understand that..

No, but your English does seem to be so bad that you didn't understand what I meant when I replied, "I'd be interested in seeing the documentary, if you could remember which one it is", and so you felt the need to respond like the little :censored: you are.

But the question remains, why havent you done that google search before and watched every documentary you found?

I actually have done that search, and I actually have watched a number of them.

I also put together a list of every DVD Netflix has about him, so I can watch them if and when I feel like it.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At this point, I don't think he ever knew, for sure.
I assumed he knew.... but I suppose if you look at the fact that it was all being written at the time, he was probably overly-skeptical, with reason.
There is too much conflicting information, that he actually SAID HIMSELF.

So anything we would guess would be just that, a guess. He thought he was one-thing in one interview, another-thing in a book, etc. etc.

I also think he mentioned that he thought personality types could change, which may be why we are getting conflicting information from him. So he himself may've thought he was different types at different points throughout life. Someone could actually make the argument for me being a different type 10 years ago......based on what they had seen. He may've been typing himself based on what he was feeling/seeing of himself at that time. It was all up in the air. He was trying to figure it all out.

So one guess is as good as the next..... ha. I think we can get close, but knowing for sure is at-this-time, not an option. All of this may be obvious to you, but it's all new to me, so..... I just don't have too much time to sink into it, although I find it interesting.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
So, if I'm hearing you correctly, in this particular statement, you are arguing he was an INFJ?

I'm saying that, based on the premise that he actually told Stephen Abrams on Dec. 18th, 1959 at his house in Kusnacht, Switzerland, that he was an introverted intuitive, then I think he was an INFJ over an INTJ, because I definitely sense the presence of heavy Ti-usage in him, and heavy Ti-usage is far more likely to develop in an INFJ than it was in an INTJ (more on this later).

The tertiary is not going to develop before the auxiliary.

Not in normal, healthy development.

Again, you are thinking too abtrusely.

What you'd like to call "abstruse" here, I would call nuance, subtlety, and accuracy. Similarly, I'd call your attempt to call this line of thinking "abstruse" a misunderstanding derived from lack of adequate knowledge.

At 8 the auxiliary is starting to be utilized over the other functions (besides the dominant).

In normal, healthy cases.

I don't see an 8 year old leaning toward 'tertiary temptation.'

Why not?

He would then just have a different auxiliary, would he not?

No, that's the entire point of tertiary temptation.

It's the escape hatch for MBTI that allows it to posit just 16 types.

The point is that, if you develop two functions of the same attitudinal orientation (i.e., both introverted, or both extroverted) first, the second one is not actually your auxiliary, it is your tertiary. If you were to be developing healthily, you would instead be developing a function of opposite attitudinal orientation to these two functions, based on the two functions you are developing actually being your dominant and your tertiary.

You are very attached to the Ni theory.

I don't know if "attached" is the right word.

As you can see in my original post, I think there's a lot of reasons to think he was an Ni-user, including his pronounced mysticism, spirituality, and supposed clairvoyant visions of the future. Actually, along this line of thought, you never responded to what I wrote earlier in this post (largely to you):

Zarathustra said:
Yeah, some of the things you said are why I could see him being a Ti-dom -- specifically the way he described things.

But, honestly, in the BBC interview he says something that it's hard for me to believe that any Ti-dom would say.

Honestly, what Ti-dom, when asked, "Do you believe there is a God?", says, "I don't believe. I know."

To me, that just sounds like something straight out of the mouth of an INFJ.

If Jung was an INTP, he could just as easily have an overly developed Ni, since Ne was his aux function. You know the functions tests on here.....most people seemed to have a good use of both attitudes of their aux function, and even tert function, esp the older one gets.

I think you were gone when I started 16 threads, one for each type, to look at the cognitive processes results of people allegedly of each type. The results were really interesting, but, as an Ni-dom, I still stand back, and don't choose whether I believe strongly in the camp that people do normally develop their first two shadow functions, or whether they really only use their four normal functions for the most part, and that people just learn to do similar things that their first two shadow functions are usually known for, but they're actually just utilizing their first two normal functions to do so ([MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] used to be a believer in the former, but recently said that he's switched over to the latter -- I remain a little more neutral on the matter).

Wherever the truth may lie: I think the second shadow function is undoubtedly much more difficult to develop than the first (which is not to say it cannot and does not happen), so, in the same line of reasoning as that which I said at the beginning of this post -- that I don't think you'll normally see heavy Ti usage in an INTJ -- I don't think you'll normally see heavy Ni usage in an INTP.

At least not as much as I think is present in Jung.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
At this point, I don't think he ever knew, for sure.
I assumed he knew.... but I suppose if you look at the fact that it was all being written at the time, he was probably overly-skeptical, with reason.
There is too much conflicting information, that he actually SAID HIMSELF.

So anything we would guess would be just that, a guess. He thought he was one-thing in one interview, another-thing in a book, etc. etc.

I also think he mentioned that he thought personality types could change, which may be why we are getting conflicting information from him. So he himself may've thought he was different types at different points throughout life. Someone could actually make the argument for me being a different type 10 years ago......based on what they had seen. He may've been typing himself based on what he was feeling/seeing of himself at that time. It was all up in the air. He was trying to figure it all out.

So one guess is as good as the next..... ha. I think we can get close, but knowing for sure is at-this-time, not an option. All of this may be obvious to you, but it's all new to me, so..... I just don't have too much time to sink into it, although I find it interesting.

This is almost the exact same way I think about it.

Remember, when he died, the MBTI wasn't even published.

I don't know whether he was ever even aware of MBTI's 4-letter notation.

And Jung believed in things that we (for the most part) no longer do: that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th functions are all of the same attitude.

Typology has developed a lot since Jung (which is not to say that his work on the matter is not amazing, important, and extremely insightful -- it is), and, sometimes, as crucial as they are to blazing the trail, the trailblazer doesn't actually have the best view of things. The trail is often easier to travail for those who come after the trailblazer, and are able to stand on his shoulders, and benefit from what he accomplished (not to mention the accomplishments of those who further blazed the same and related trails after him).

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is almost the exact same way I think about it.

Remember, when he died, the MBTI wasn't even published.

I don't know whether he was ever even aware of MBTI's 4-letter notation.

And Jung believed in things that we (for the most part) no longer do: that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th functions are all of the same attitude.

Typology has developed a lot since Jung (which is not to say that his work on the matter is not amazing, important, and extremely insightful -- it is), and, sometimes, as crucial as they are to blazing the trail, the trailblazer doesn't actually have the best view of things. The trail is often easier to travail for those who come after the trailblazer, and are able to stand on his shoulders, and benefit from what he accomplished (not to mention the accomplishments of those who further blazed the same and related trails after him).

Yes, pretty much true. I have considered the fact that mbti was not yet created during his escapades.

I really need to read some of his material......

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I really need to read some of his material......

I think that is definitely a good idea.

I'm digging deeper into his stuff as well.

I also take back what I said about you before.

While you were a bit prematurely dismissive at first, you ended up being very reasonable.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that is definitely a good idea.

I'm digging deeper into his stuff as well.

I also take back what I said about you before.

While you were a bit prematurely dismissive at first, you ended up being very reasonable.

LoL, I can be moody.... Yes, sometimes I can be rushed and brash..... but I usually come around.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting thread.

"Well, you see, the type is nothing static, it changes with the course of life. But I most certainly was characterized by thinking, I always thought, from early childhood on, and I had a great deal of intuition, too. And, I had a definite difficulty with feeling. And my relationship to reality was not particularly brilliant. I was often at variance with the reality of things. Now that gives you all the necessary data for the diagnosis."
Note that he doesn't say. Given the video interview plus his mannerisms, I find INTx to be very likely, with a bias toward J because I see lots of Ni in his intuitiveness.

Some thoughts:
1. Would the father of typology (relatively speaking) list off their top two functions in the wrong order of preference?
I don't think he had a concept of "order of preference". I believe his model was much more free-form than ours.

2. No Te user would ever write that way, so it rules out INTJ. Definite Ti user.
I cannot draw this conclusion as easily as you appear to. Not saying you're wrong, but it isn't a slam-dunk to me.

3. If he was an INFJ, would he say that he had a definite difficult with feeling? Would he emphasize thinking and intuition?
I would posit this as a possibility. I've seen plenty of INFJs misidentify themselves as INTJs just because they don't believe themselves to be so irrational and affected by feeling as they believe an INFJ would be.

I mean, if I were a lawyer, I could argue anything. The simplest answer is usually the right one though. Seems INTP to me. Of course he could be wrong about his type and it could that others are correct. I interpreted his statements to mean INTP though.
FWIW, I don't believe he had a concept of "INTP."

Maybe he was just trying to screw with people too.
I doubt this.

So, if I'm hearing you correctly, in this particular statement, you are arguing he was an INFJ?

His definition of Fe is the worst out of all his definitions. He defines it loosely (for him) and even inaccurately (based on being an Fe user myself), and comparing his wonderful definitions and descriptions of Ti/Te. Te and Fe should be analogous but they are not; he leaves things out in his Fe descriptors.

Definitely NOT an INFJ.
Interesting comments. This would tend to eliminate both INFJ and INTP as possibilities (to the degree that our 21st-century MBTI analysis would apply to Jung's own understanding of his theory).

The tertiary is not going to develop before the auxiliary. Again, you are thinking too abtrusely. At 8 the auxiliary is starting to be utilized over the other functions (besides the dominant). I don't see an 8 year old leaning toward 'tertiary temptation.' He would then just have a different auxiliary, would he not?

You are very attached to the Ni theory. If Jung was an INTP, he could just as easily have an overly developed Ni, since Ne was his aux function. You know the functions tests on here.....most people seemed to have a good use of both attitudes of their aux function, and even tert function, esp the older one gets.
No, he'd not develop an Ni and an Ne. They have a lot in common, but they are different modes of thinking.

I think you were gone when I started 16 threads, one for each type, to look at the cognitive processes results of people allegedly of each type. The results were really interesting, but, as an Ni-dom, I still stand back, and don't choose whether I believe strongly in the camp that people do normally develop their first two shadow functions, or whether they really only use their four normal functions for the most part, and that people just learn to do similar things that their first two shadow functions are usually known for, but they're actually just utilizing their first two normal functions to do so ([MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] used to be a believer in the former, but recently said that he's switched over to the latter -- I remain a little more neutral on the matter).
I'm not sure that your attributions of my beliefs are accurate, either in the "former" or the "recently said" sense.

Wherever the truth may lie: I think the second shadow function is undoubtedly much more difficult to develop than the first (which is not to say it cannot and does not happen), so, in the same line of reasoning as that which I said at the beginning of this post -- that I don't think you'll normally see heavy Ti usage in an INTJ -- I don't think you'll normally see heavy Ni usage in an INTP.

At least not as much as I think is present in Jung.

One thing to consider is his age in the interview. He notes that type changes over time. I wonder what he would have said his type is at that point.

It should be noted that both INTJs and INTPs tend to become "teddy bears" in later life, finally connecting with Fi or Fe, as appropriate. Look for hints of Fi vs Fe to tell the difference. If Aphrodite's comments about Jung's Fe analysis are apt, that would imply INTJ.

For my part, I'm fairly certain of the Ni in Jung. He is concerned about "why", about "cause and effect", he has a concern with timelike rather than spacelike aspects of psychology. I would agree with him that he's more T than F, which leads me to the somewhat awkward conclusion of INTJ.

Frankly, I'd want to watch more videos of him and just see how he reacts and interacts. That's where the typology really becomes visible. It's not so visible in writing, especially with an adept and practiced writer. INFJ with a focus on Ti is also very likely, especially with his preoccupation with mysticism and spirituality and the soul ... but even then, INTJs tend to be attracted to archetypal personality systems like astrology, even in spite of evidence against.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
but even then, INTJs tend to be attracted to archetypal personality systems like astrology, even in spite of evidence against.

I can't really think of a type where I don't know examples of people who are interested-in and retain beliefs, (religious, spiritual, etc.), that aren't reality-based. Plenty of T's do, of any type, based on evidence of the contrary, and despite the ideas and beliefs having a mystical quality.

Look at how many T's hold completely unjustified beliefs concerning Christianity, for instance.

----------------------

(In other words, I think maybe that the spirituality and interests related he was into, etc.... really could apply to any type).

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You forgot that he said that he had definite problems with feeling = hes wasnt F aux or dom = not an INFJ.
Third-hand data is unreliable. Everyone has 'problems with feeling.'

Its funny that people dont even have any knowledge about the subject, still make assumptions of it and are certain they are right about it lol..

you're losing credibility..quickly. *reads latest posts*. Please rethink your entire understanding.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Third-hand data is unreliable. Everyone has 'problems with feeling.'

you're losing credibility..quickly.

Third hand data? its jung himself saying that on the video, look up the post #2 in this topic..

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
1. It is a claim. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority
2. 'Feeling' is contextually dependent.

Its not a claim that he said he had definite difficulties with feeling or that he was characterized by thinking from early childhood on. also its not a claim of mine that in early childhood you are characterized by you dom function, its something that jung claims.

Feeling might be contextually dependant, but jung is talking about typology here, so feeling in the context he is using it refers to the feeling function.

What i did there was explain what jung means by using his definitions and ideas of typology. not what i think being characteristic by from early childhood on..

This would be obvious to you if you knew about his typology and his point of view on development of type. but instead you are arguing about this, why?

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I have to admit, I don't have faith in any of the resources, thus far. It's pretty much all heresay to me. Especially since it has all either been translated, it's a video of an interview with one guy, and it's notes from a seminar. Either of these, of course, can be tampered with in many ways, and probably have been. That's why I don't spend too much time trying to prove anything, or considering.

One argument is as good as the next in this scenario. In order to argue, one has to assume that the resources are evidence, and have faith that they are true. I do not. That's pretty much why it's easy not to care either way. It's also the reason why I didn't care whether my arguments hold water or not. None of them do, in my mind. It's all done in fun and games.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm saying that, based on the premise that he actually told Stephen Abrams on Dec. 18th, 1959 at his house in Kusnacht, Switzerland, that he was an introverted intuitive, then I think he was an INFJ over an INTJ, because I definitely sense the presence of heavy Ti-usage in him, and heavy Ti-usage is far more likely to develop in an INFJ than it was in an INTJ (more on this later).

So, he would have been 84 years old when he said that. In P.T. it doesn't sound like he thinks he's a dominant irrational at all, and he was in his 40's then. With individuation (not necessarily in Jungian terms), and advancing age, it is not unlikely he felt like an introverted intuitive. But having it come so late in life, one has to question its validity, I think.

What you'd like to call "abstruse" here, I would call nuance, subtlety, and accuracy. Similarly, I'd call your attempt to call this line of thinking "abstruse" a misunderstanding derived from lack of adequate knowledge.

I have enough knowledge to know that the more variables you add in the mix, the more questionable your conclusions are likely to be.

Because if we are genetically predisposed to be a certain type, and he was supposed to be an INFJ, and he did in fact develop a healthy dominant Ni (which is suspect using your theory because it sounds like his life was pretty hard from the get-go....not just later. I mean his mother had already lost 3 children, so she was pretty 'checked-out' [referring to your article] when he was born. Why would he have developed a healthy Ni to begin with?), why would he not just introvert his aux Fe into Fi?

Yes, I know you argue tertiary temptation, but I do not share your zeal for that hypothesis. I think it more likely that at a young age, his Feeling would have just become introverted. And I think we all agree: He isn't very F.

No, that's the entire point of tertiary temptation.

It's the escape hatch for MBTI that allows it to posit just 16 types.

The point is that, if you develop two functions of the same attitudinal orientation (i.e., both introverted, or both extroverted) first, the second one is not actually your auxiliary, it is your tertiary. If you were to be developing healthily, you would instead be developing a function of opposite attitudinal orientation to these two functions, based on the two functions you are developing actually being your dominant and your tertiary.

You might remember (or not) that I do not even necessarily agree with the tert being in the same orientation of the dominant. And if it is, I definitely think it's very fluid, and likely to flip places with it's other side. So, again, tert temp just doesn't hold water with me. It's all too hypothetical.

As you can see in my original post, I think there's a lot of reasons to think he was an Ni-user, including his pronounced mysticism, spirituality, and supposed clairvoyant visions of the future. Actually, along this line of thought, you never responded to what I wrote earlier in this post (largely to you):

Sorry, unless you quote me directly, I might not see it...But, yeah, I agree he has some Ni. But not dominant amounts of it. And, yeah, (i don't know where it went) but I agree with you about him saying he 'knows god exists,' or whatever, does sound very Ni.....but people get intense about God, so that doesn't stand for much, does it.

He could also have some disorders. His childhood sounds sorta sketchy. Who knows what neuroses he could have had that would have made him switch function attitudes around.

I missed your experiment. Bummer. But I've thought a lot about this myself. And I've watched the thread regarding people posting their function preferences, albeit with the crappy tests, and I know it was not uncommon for the aux and tert to be utilized in both attitudes.

I emphatically disagree with the bolded, and have argued my stance previously on this forum, mainly in the function thread I started (i think it was in that thread) last year.

The Dominant is just that: Dominant. It is the first line function people use from birth, theoretically. It is therefore going to be more 'set in stone,' if you will, than any other function; a person is not going to easily switch in that.

I DO believe the tertiary shadow is more likely to develop before the aux shadow for the same reason, because the aux is more dominant and is not going to switch easily, in normal development, though the original attitude and 'shadow' of the tertiary function are going to be up for grabs depending on the person's environment (see below for more about environment).

In abnormal development, which likely occurred given Jung's childhood, I believe you have a revert of the aux because the person is introverting so much that it supersedes the normally opposite attitude of the aux, bending it to the will of the Dominant introversion.

So, I believe a person will actually use their tert function in both attitudes much more easily than changing their dom/aux pair, in normal development.

Which brings me to the other part of your statement. I really only like to look at the first two functions to type someone. The others are so dependent on a person developing 'normally' anyway. That is where typology gets interesting, and why I not only do not buy into the function layouts proposed by modern-day 'experts' but why I don't believe much in tertiary temptation, etc. After 16 years of age, who knows what functions in what attitudes will be developed? I think it really depends on a person's environment at that point, and contributes to there being so much variation in the set types.

I think there should be a poll added: What is Jung's primary function? And see what others think...

I think you are right that he uses Ni, just not as much as Ti. I don't discuss Ne much because I don't understand it very well. :unsure:

To Uumlau: I hear and understand your excessive condescension and pedantry, but I fail to see why Jung COULD not be proficient with both attitudes of his aux function. I am referring to you quoting me in a previous post about Ne and Ni.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To Uumlau: I hear and understand your excessive condescension and pedantry, but I fail to see why Jung COULD not be proficient with both attitudes of his aux function. I am referring to you quoting me in a previous post about Ne and Ni.

You heard and understood tones I did not write. When I say "interesting comments," that's exactly what I meant. I take your observation of Jung's impressions of Fe as a valuable data point. It's very useful to know. Not just because it hints at his type, but because it means that I should question his writeup on that function more closely.

As for the Ne/Ni bit, I now believe they are much more different than they seem. They can look a lot like each other, but after a while, it becomes clear which one is really in play. Ne tends to invoke Si, which sees ideas as a set of concrete entities, which Ne links together. Ni instead views physical reality (Se) as concrete, and instead shuffles ideas internally to build models of reality. The difference becomes most apparent when arguing ideas between Ne and Ni: Ne/Si looks to nail down definitions, to be very clear even as one acknowledges one cannot be completely clear. Ni/Se looks to nail down functionality, how things work dynamically. These two types of reasoning can still end up at the same conclusions, but their paths are very different, such that those of differing types will often strongly criticize the other's methodologies and reasoning (due to the crosstalk).

I don't think it's possible to be proficient with both attitudes of any function, though it is possible to develop skills such that one can easily accomplish those things associated with the opposite attitude. I consider the functions to indicate one's inner paths of thought, and thus they make certain skills easier than others, but they aren't the skills themselves. One doesn't "do Ni" or "do Fe", rather Ni makes some skills easier, and Fe makes other skills easier.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think Jung is INTJ since he mixed empiricism with mysticism though I could be wrong as he actually self identified as ISTP according to CelebrityTypes.

deleted
I agree with people saying Jung is Ni+Ti in his own system.

However, in MBTI he is likely INTP because he fits all 4 preferences and the thinker/architect stereotype. MBTI is a personality system not specializing in information metabolism. So as far as organizing MBTI types, it is the cognitive functions that need to be adjusted to fit various examples of INTPs, not Jung's own functions brought over here.