First 12202122232432 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I saw somewhere that Jung typed Einstein as an extraverted-thinking type! Anyone who calls Einstein a Te would be fighting against mountains of information to the contrary.
    Maybe so, but I don't see where Carl Jung made such a bold, audacious claim.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Maybe so, but I don't see where Carl Jung made such a bold, audacious claim.
    If extraversion is dominant, thinking will be directed toward the external world (e.g., a scientist like Darwin or Einstein).

I believe I read the above passage somwhere, but I had to copy it out of a google book. It's weird how it disappeared.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    If extraversion is dominant, thinking will be directed toward the external world (e.g., a scientist like Darwin or Einstein).

I believe I read the above passage somwhere, but I had to copy it out of a google book. It's weird how it disappeared.
    He said that about Darwin but not Einstein. Perhaps you were found unworthy of possessing such a great work of literature, so it vanished?

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Doesn't mean anything, INTP MBTI enthusiasts claim him as one of their own for the same reason that theists do as well. The trouble is, Einstein wasn't a theist by the conventional sense of the term. .

This is correct. However, it also true that he was not an atheist in the conventional sense, either. I'm not sure why antitheists claim Einstein as an atheist while simultaneously repudiating pantheism. I agree that pantheism has a lot in common with atheism, but there are many antitheists who don't see it that way.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    This is correct.
    How so? What is the unstated reason that "INTP MBTI enthusiasts" do this? And why do you agree with it?

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

How so? What is the unstated reason that "INTP MBTI enthusiasts" do this? And why do you agree with it?
    I was not referring to that part, actually. I was dealing with the "theism" part. I should have removed the MBTI reference from the quote, I suppose.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Ah, I was not dealing with this part. I was dealing with the "theism" part. I should have removed that from the quote, I suppose.
    Then I'll ask @SolitaryWalker what his unstated "reason" is. He stated that A does something for the same reason that B does something, i.e., INTP MBTI enthusiasts want to claim Einstein as one of their own FOR THE SAME REASON that theists do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Reading between the lines can be more interesting . Reading Jung's descriptions of the types shows such a bias against Fe & a Te that I have hard time seeing him as Je-aux. His description of Fe is the worst of the 8 & filled with the most bias. He compares Te & Ti in a way that sounds like he's got a chip on his shoulder concerning Ti being just as valid as Te (which is how he describes Ti-dom too - with an inferiority complex).

I think Jung is a Ti-dom, then. His theory focuses less on the auxiliary than "play" between the dominant & inferior though. While most people think the tertiary is the same orientation as the dominant, this was never stated by Jung. Some have suggested the aux & tert are both of the same orientation, which would make distinctions between many types very minor (ie. an IxTP would be very possible). It's possible Jung didn't even think the functions besides the dom & inferior have orientations at all (although that the aux is opposite is implicated pretty clearly to most). In which case, I could see him as simply identifying as a Ti-dom with a preference for iNtuition, without needing to define more than that because perhaps he thought it's not defined that way in a person's psychology. He DID state he had a stronger preference for thinking & intuition than sensing or feeling. That came straight from the man's mouth. Sure, he could get his own type wrong or believe it changes, but that's even less founded speculation than thinking he is Ti-N.

I just don't see him as INFJ, not interviews or in his writing. He writes with a kind of heavy-handedness that sounds more like a Ti-dom than a Ni-dom. I don't see his as an ISTP either, certainly not in MBTI. His outward expression sounds like he extroverts iNtuition to me, not Sensing. So yes, I type him as INTP, or closest to that.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Reading between the lines can be more interesting . Reading Jung's descriptions of the types shows such a bias against Fe & a Te that I have hard time seeing him as Je-aux. His description of Fe is the worst of the 8 & filled with the most bias. He compares Te & Ti in a way that sounds like he's got a chip on his shoulder concerning Ti being just as valid as Te (which is how he describes Ti-dom too - with an inferiority complex).

I think Jung is a Ti-dom, then. His theory focuses less on the auxiliary than "play" between the dominant & inferior though. While most people think the tertiary is the same orientation as the dominant, this was never stated by Jung. Some have suggested the aux & tert are both of the same orientation, which would make distinctions between many types very minor (ie. an IxTP would be very possible). It's possible Jung didn't even think the functions besides the dom & inferior have orientations at all (although that the aux is opposite is implicated pretty clearly to most). In which case, I could see him as simply identifying as a Ti-dom with a preference for iNtuition, without needing to define more than that because perhaps he thought it's not defined that way in a person's psychology. He DID state he had a stronger preference for thinking & intuition than sensing or feeling. That came straight from the man's mouth. Sure, he could get his own type wrong or believe it changes, but that's even less founded speculation than thinking he is Ti-N.

I just don't see him as INFJ, not interviews or in his writing. He writes with a kind of heavy-handedness that sounds more like a Ti-dom than a Ni-dom. I don't see his as an ISTP either, certainly not in MBTI. His outward expression sounds like he extroverts iNtuition to me, not Sensing. So yes, I type him as INTP, or closest to that.
    I've seen the same "argument from writing style" many times. Yet Jung himself focused on topics, not on writing style, when typing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I've seen the same "argument from writing style" many times. Yet Jung himself focused on topics, not on writing style, when typing.
    That was the sidepoint in the post. The rest was about a bias that comes through, an attitude/view indirectly expressed, not a style.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe