User Tag List

First 11192021222331 Last

Results 201 to 210 of 456

  1. #201
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Mapping people like Jung did is usually a Ti talent. I can feel the craving cry within me, the logical beast that cries to be unleashed and to put whole of humanity into 16 boxes...
    Jung did much, much more than create these "mappings." He investigated mystical experiences, including his own hallucinatory Ni states.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #202
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    So what say you? INTP?

    I can't find any of the passages I read when I first got into typology, but he pretty heavily alludes to identifying with sensing and thinking, from what I recall.
    Jung said that type can change with age. He alluded to himself as an intuitive child and a sensor as an older adult.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #203
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Jung said that type can change with age. He alluded to himself as an intuitive child and a sensor as an older adult.

    Interesting, I've thought the same. Well, I am glad that can be established between us.

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Jung did much, much more than create these "mappings." He investigated mystical experiences, including his own hallucinatory Ni states.
    This is a big reason my first choice on Jung's MBTI type is INFJ. He was very much a psychic who could penetrate deep into the mind and uncover the great mysteries of consciousness. He used many pseudo-sciences such as astrology and magic to make his intentions immanent within the world. Jung was basically a visionary with a humanitarian ideal inside for the right state of awareness and global oneness, connecting with the divine.

  5. #205
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    This is a big reason my first choice on Jung's MBTI type is INFJ. He was very much a psychic who could penetrate deep into the mind and uncover the great mysteries of consciousness. He used many pseudo-sciences such as astrology and magic to make his intentions immanent within the world. Jung was basically a visionary with a humanitarian ideal inside for the right state of awareness and global oneness, connecting with the divine.
    Coincidentally, the last MBTI call I made on Jung's type was INFJ. That was a few months back.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #206
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    This is actually a very good piece of information in favor of Jung being an INTP. However, there's a few contingencies that could point the other way:
    1. We don't actually know if Carl Jung knew his own type (and he founded the theory so you would think he should, but it's not a fact).
    2. He may have been playing a game with us. Just because someone says one thing doesn't mean that they aren't really thinking something else.
    3. Maybe under his own set of definitions in his context he really did fit the category of an INTP, but perhaps the system he was using was incomplete and lacked proper classifications.
    4. He has not only claimed to be an INTP, but he's also claimed to be an ISTP, as you can see in the Jung identified himself as both INTP and ISTP link.

    Ultimately, you can choose to see Jung from what you perceive to be a factual standpoint as an INTP, but it doesn't change the reality of what type he really was, except in your own ideology.
    Jung said that type is nothing static, this can be interpreted in multiple ways. Personally i see it leaning that in different situations people can behave as if they were another type. Natural scientist needs to look at facts about concrete reality and not hypothize too much without evidence and derive logical solutions out of the concrete facts that can be observed. Therefore its no wonder that S and T was most prominent in him when doing that sort of task.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  7. #207
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Jung did much, much more than create these "mappings." He investigated mystical experiences, including his own hallucinatory Ni states.
    I investigate mystical experiences aswell and do this active imagination thing that jung was doing(please gimme a source for him hallucinating..) quite frequently. Does this make me an INFJ aswell? Also why do you say "Ni" states?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  8. #208
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I investigate mystical experiences aswell and do this active imagination thing that jung was doing(please gimme a source for him hallucinating..) quite frequently. Does this make me an INFJ aswell? Also why do you say "Ni" states?
    http://beyondmeds.com/2009/09/20/carl-jung/
    What happened next to Carl Jung has become, among Jungians and other scholars, the topic of enduring legend and controversy. It has been characterized variously as a creative illness, a descent into the underworld, a bout with insanity, a narcissistic self-deification, a transcendence, a midlife breakdown and an inner disturbance mirroring the upheaval of World War I. Whatever the case, in 1913, Jung, who was then 38, got lost in the soup of his own psyche. He was haunted by troubling visions and heard inner voices. Grappling with the horror of some of what he saw, he worried in moments that he was, in his own words, “menaced by a psychosis” or “doing a schizophrenia.”

    He later would compare this period of his life — this “confrontation with the unconscious,” as he called it — to a mescaline experiment. He described his visions as coming in an “incessant stream.” He likened them to rocks falling on his head, to thunderstorms, to molten lava. “I often had to cling to the table,” he recalled, “so as not to fall apart.”
    Whereas introverted sensation is mainly confined to the perception of particular innervation phenomena by way of the unconscious, and does not go beyond them, intuition represses this side of the subjective factor and perceives the image which has really occasioned the innervation. Supposing, for instance, a man is overtaken by a psychogenic attack of giddiness. Sensation is arrested by the peculiar character of this innervation-disturbance, perceiving all its qualities, its intensity, its transient course, the nature of its origin and disappearance in their every detail, without raising the smallest inquiry concerning the nature of the thing which produced the disturbance, or advancing anything as to its content. Intuition, on the other hand, receives from the sensation only the impetus to immediate activity; it peers behind the scenes, quickly perceiving the inner image that gave rise to the specific phenomenon, the attack of vertigo, in the present case. It sees the image of a tottering man pierced through the heart by an arrow. This image fascinates the intuitive activity; it is arrested by it, and seeks to explore every detail of it. It holds fast to the vision, observing with the liveliest interest how the picture changes, unfolds further, and finally fades. In this way introverted intuition perceives all the background processes of consciousness with almost the same distinctness as extraverted sensation senses outer objects. For intuition, therefore, the unconscious images attain to the dignity of things or objects.
    PSYCHOLOGICAL TYPES 505-6
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    I saw somewhere that Jung typed Einstein as an extraverted-thinking type! Anyone who calls Einstein a Te would be fighting against mountains of information to the contrary. Here's why:

    1. Einstein didn't reason by measures and evidence. He instead trusted what fit his own internal model of logic, and would be very slow to accept what didn't fit within that (like saying quantum mechanics was wrong because "God does not play dice").
    2. If you type in the words "Einstein INTP" into the google search bar, you will get a whole supercluster of results in favor of him being an INTP, and pretty much every typologist who includes famous examples in an INTP profile will have Einstein at the top of their list. He is their poster-boy.
    3. The cause-and-effect theory developed by Newton is based on dynamics and continual transformations, whereas Einstein's theory in constrast is all about comparing things to static frames of reference, so gravity is a very NiTe thing to invent, and relativity is a very TiNe thing to create. (Of course Newton is also typed commonly as 5w6, and Einstein as a 5w4, so I'm sure that's also a factor).

    If it looks like I'm calling into question the typing competence of Carl Jung, I am. Still, he came before the theory was well-developed, so he didn't have all that much to work with.

  10. #210
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I saw somewhere that Jung typed Einstein as an extraverted-thinking type! Anyone who calls Einstein a Te would be fighting against mountains of information to the contrary. Here's why:

    1. Einstein didn't reason by measures and evidence. He instead trusted what fit his own internal model of logic, and would be very slow to accept what didn't fit within that (like saying quantum mechanics was wrong because "God does not play dice").
    2. If you type in the words "Einstein INTP" into the google search bar, you will get a whole supercluster of results in favor of him being an INTP, and pretty much every typologist who includes famous examples in an INTP profile will have Einstein at the top of their list. He is their poster-boy.
    3. The cause-and-effect theory developed by Newton is based on dynamics and continual transformations, whereas Einstein's theory in constrast is all about comparing things to static frames of reference, so gravity is a very NiTe thing to invent, and relativity is a very TiNe thing to create. (Of course Newton is also typed commonly as 5w6, and Einstein as a 5w4, so I'm sure that's also a factor).

    If it looks like I'm calling into question the typing competence of Carl Jung, I am. Still, he came before the theory was well-developed, so he didn't have all that much to work with.
    Doesn't mean anything, INTP MBTI enthusiasts claim him as one of their own for the same reason that theists do as well. The trouble is, Einstein wasn't a theist by the conventional sense of the term. Chances are, he also had little in common with the average "INTP" you'll find on the internet, regardless of what his type was.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Similar Threads

  1. What MBTI type was Jesus?
    By jixmixfix in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 10:44 AM
  2. [NT] Was Carl Jung an NT?
    By INTJ123 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 05:35 PM
  3. What Enneagram Type is Carl Jung?
    By highlander in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 09:19 PM
  4. What MBTI type do you think is the hardest to be?
    By OrangeAppled in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 02:04 AM
  5. What MBTI type do you think is the EASIEST to be?
    By Such Irony in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO