123 Last

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Elfboy's theory on the Light Worker, the Dark Worker and Objectivism

Light Worker: motivated by love. their main motivation is to help people, make the world a better place and be of service to others or to ideals. loosely correlated with enneagram 1, 2 and 9

Dark Worker: works towards own self interests, whether this be pleasure, power, status or material gain. correlates loosely with Enneagram 3, 7 and 8

basically the Light Worker follows what they believe their duty/what they should do is. the Dark Worker follows his desires and does what he wants to.

Objectivism vs sacrifice: both types can be objectivist and both can be unhealthy and sacrificing. however, they sacrifice in different ways
    Light Workers who are unhealthy sacrifice for
    - people they care about (The Altruist)
    or
    - their ideals (The Idealist)

Dark Workers Sacrifice their well being to further their
    - acquisition/power (The Tyrant)
    - status (the Politician)
    or
    - pleasure (the Hedonist)

however, Objectivism is where these 2 paths meet. the Light Worker learns that he must look out for his own self interest in order to serve others; the Dark Worker learns that the best way to further his ambitions is to be enterprising and productive, which will benefit others. it is possible to be both, but not possible to move different directions at the same time. both are roads to power and influence, neither is wrong or right. everyone has elements of both, but what makes one a light or dark worker is their priorities. people who set clear priorities over which party's benefit they prefer more usually end up getting more of both, which is why most successful people are clear cut dark workers or light workers

famous Light Workers
    - Mother Teresa
    - Joan of Arc
    - Ron Paul
    - Light Yagami
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
    - Eduardo Saverin
    - The Jedi
    - Bruno Mars
    - Ghandi

famous Dark Workers
    - Donald Trump
    - 50 Cent (and about 90% of rappers as a whole)
    - Frank Sinatra
    - Darth Vader
    - James Bond
    - Rhett Butler
    - the Sith
    - Elfboy
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

this is what I have so far, it's a work in progress
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

why does sacrificing for people you care about make someone unhealthy?

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I think there's such a thing as too much selflessness. Some people have trouble saying "no", which can create more problems and do more harm than good. In that sort of case it's sometimes better to just say what you want, because chances are the other person is trying to to figure that out anyways.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    sacrificing for others decreases your ability to help others in the future.
    for example, let's take a mother with a 9 month old baby. she decides she wants to serve her country and dies in an overseas war. because of her sacrifice, her 9 month old baby now has to grow up without a mother.
    another example. let's take a potential entrepreneur. brilliant, enterprising, hard working and industrious. he is thinking of launching a potentially million dollar business, but he instead decides to devout himself to become a catholic priest and take a vow of chastity instead. however, had he gone the business route, he could have helped himself more AND had millions of dollars more to help others. a rich man can snap his fingers and help more people than a volunteer worker can in their entire life.
    PS: nothing against the catholic church, but I think taking a vow of poverty is pretty whack
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Dearest Elfboy, that's a pretty extreme example. There are many other arguments that can be made that interdependence actually serves YOU best in the long run - that there's a natural selfishness in caring for others, because there's safety in numbers.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Dearest Elfboy, that's a pretty extreme example. There are many other arguments that can be made that interdependence actually serves YOU best in the long run - that there's a natural selfishness in caring for others, because there's safety in numbers.
    exactly, you're not disagreeing with me. interdependence is optimum. dependence is not
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

But if no one fights the enemy in a war, the entire nation could be destroyed. Then there's no rich businessmen, or at least not a stable economy or enough people to make him rich. Military has to exist. Pacifism is fail, unless you like being raped, pillaged, and plundered by a less civilized and/or angrier nation.

Of course, optimally it's not the mother of a 9 month old baby, I agree with you on that much, but it's still individual freedom that some women choose to be in the military, even if they have children. Wouldn't do it myself.

I get the point you're trying to make, but I just want to clarify this example you were giving.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But if no one fights the enemy in a war, the entire nation could be destroyed. Then there's no rich businessmen, or at least not a stable economy or enough people to make him rich. Military has to exist. Pacifism is fail, unless you like being raped, pillaged, and plundered by a less civilized and/or angrier nation.
    Of course, optimally it's not the mother of a 9 month old baby, I agree with you on that much, but it's still individual freedom that some women choose to be in the military, even if they have children. Wouldn't do it myself.
    I get the point you're trying to make, but I just want to clarify this example you were giving.
    once again, we really don't disagree. except that I think that the need for military is quite as vital as you think it is. I'm not saying it isn't needed, but I don't think it needs to be nearly as big, expensive and involved as it is currently
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay, actually we probably agree that military spending is out of control.

Big military = big imposing presence in world...this can go right or wrong. It's right in that *most* people won't mess with you and also that you can help other people. The United States has long been known for helping people in other countries. Like our presence in WWII, which was the beginning, really, of the modern American attitude toward military and the world we see now. You do know that we gave aid to Afghanistan when the Soviet Union invaded them in 1979, rite? Funny how that particular thing worked out...

But yeah, I'm not some person who thinks all military spending is warranted. In fact, I think some military spending actually needs to be re-directed in caring for the poor soldiers who come back injured and/or mentally ill from war, rather than spending so much money on guns, et al.