User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Dressing weird/goth

My question is for those of you who purposely dress differently than society - for instance, you dress goth or try to look weird (ie not like most of society) on purpose.

I was just curious why people dress that way. Do you think it is truly more attractive? Do you like shoving it in people's faces? Do you think it expresses your inner self? Is it an artistic statement? Do you feel unattractive already, so if you dress in a distracting way, no one will look at the real you? Do you like the attention? I have always wondered about this.

A girl I talked to once was saying that people had no right to look at her like she was weird, just because of the way she dressed. I thought that was kind of ironic - why dress weird if you don't want people looking at you like you are weird?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Most people who dress that way that I have met just have a subliminal need for attention.

Of course, there are the few that find it just more aesthetically pleasing, in which case, I applaud them.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

Enneagram
    5w4

Ugh. Dressing in your underwear and complaining that men are perving at you. Getting piercings all over your face and complaining that people are judging you. Dressing like a goth and complaining that strangers think you're weird.
    Those type of people want the attention. I don't feel sorry for them if they think they're being visually assaulted.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    My question is for those of you who purposely dress differently than society - for instance, you dress goth or try to look weird (ie not like most of society) on purpose.

I was just curious why people dress that way. Do you think it is truly more attractive? Do you like shoving it in people's faces? Do you think it expresses your inner self? Is it an artistic statement? Do you feel unattractive already, so if you dress in a distracting way, no one will look at the real you? Do you like the attention? I have always wondered about this.

A girl I talked to once was saying that people had no right to look at her like she was weird, just because of the way she dressed. I thought that was kind of ironic - why dress weird if you don't want people looking at you like you are weird?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    Ugh. Dressing in your underwear and complaining that men are perving at you. Getting piercings all over your face and complaining that people are judging you. Dressing like a goth and complaining that strangers think you're weird.
    Those type of people want the attention. I don't feel sorry for them if they think they're being visually assaulted.

Some people are just multicolored unicorns and we gotta let it fly!!!

I have my own style but unfortunately learned to tone it down due to all the negative attention I would get. I would also get positive attention, once a fashion designer saw me walking down the street, said she liked my style, and asked if I would help her model her line.

For some people, dressing differently or modding yourself isn't about you or another stranger. It's about that person's need to express their individuality. More than that, I might just LIKE looking or dressing a certain way. It makes me feel good. The fact I get attention - positive or negative - It is what it is.

When I was in highschool I would get hated on hard by other kids. But, then they would adopt parts of how I was dressing. I was an early adopter of trends, being a fashion designer or buyer for a department store always appealed to me. I could respect haters more if they wouldn't start copying me basically a few years down the road when it was safe to do so.

For some people, how they present to the world is about making a statement, shaking things up, etc.

We all define our individuality and take pride in our differences when we find those differences exceptional. People who dress visibly different from the norm is just one example of that. Yes, they do enjoy not being part of the crowd in some way.

The thing is, everyone has a 'uniform' of some type - whether you think it's a uniform that fits in and communicates 'normal' or 'responsible' or a uniform that says 'artistic' and 'creative'. The appearance of someone 'trying to make a statement' is a bit of inaccurate since we're all trying to make statements when we get dressed.

I hate the idea that people think I would dress one way or another just for them. It's all about me, me, me!?!?

And if I do choose to do my own thing, why do people have to get so nasty about it? I'm trying to think of the appropriate insult...oh right - how provincial! Harumph.

Live and let live! :rant:

I do understand the irritation that's expressed in the two above posts. Sometimes, people can seem affected or that have an attitude about how differently they are dressed. Some people also think certain 'kinds' of dress are uniforms and are synonymous with being snobs or fake. Is not always the case that's true.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well personally I would dress weird for the reaction that I would get from the mainstream society.

It thoroughly amuses me that people are giving me weird looks.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well personally I would dress weird for the reaction that I would get from the mainstream society.

It thoroughly amuses me that people are giving me weird looks.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

If I fed on presumption, the OP would be Thanksgiving.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    Most people who dress that way that I have met just have a subliminal need for attention.

Of course, there are the few that find it just more aesthetically pleasing, in which case, I applaud them.
    Yes, there are two main types that dress "differently" from the majority.

1) The most common type does so in reaction against the majority. That is, they find some sort of identity in rejection of certain norms. They are often even more keenly tuned into, and reliant on, what the majority does.

2) People that dress only according to their own whims. Sometimes they are completely bewildered that their sense of style is seen unusual by others.

I prefer the second kind. They come from a more positive place, I believe, rather than a negative rejection.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

How is it "shoving it in people's faces"?

I see people who need to transform themselves in extreme ways visually (by means of lots of tattoos, piercings, "aggressive" clothing, surgery, whathaveyou) as fundamentally fragile. It's as though they need an exoskeleton to be able to exist in the real world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Ginkgo

Punky chicks are hot.

That is all.