• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identifying a function.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe you lot can help me with this. I'll describe a certain way that I think, and you tell me what function (or even combination of functions) you think is behind it.

I am very good at finding things that I have lost (which is good, because I lose things all the damn time). I'm good at finding things because I can close my eyes (or stare unfocused into space with either a blank face or a slight scowl), start at any point in time of a given day, and reenact in a sort of fast-forward everything I did that day, everywhere I went, all of the conversations I had, etc. It's not as though I make a conscious effort to remember, I'm just sort of always set to record. But, it has to be something in my direct line of interaction: for example, I'm not going to remember that random dude standing on the corner as I walked by because I was busy talking to my friend, but I will remember every word of the conversation. It's irritating when someone tries to help me find my lost thing by asking me questions to jog my memory because the playback tends to be linear and having to listen to them and split off my thought process to answer them while I'm immersed in the playback is very distracting.

Also, I think in 3D. I can look at a thing, take apart the pieces in my head, and figure out how to put them back together again. It's not quite 3D, really, I guess -- I can see it from all angles at once because it's in muh brainz, but in my head they look almost as real and solid as they do in front of my. (As a side note, when I was little I genuine had trouble telling what was a dream from what was a memory because my dreams tend to be incredibly solid and real. My imagination is intensely detailed.) I love backwards engineering things; a favorite hobby at the moment is looking at a chainmaille weave and figuring out how to make it without looking at a tutorial. It's like a fun brain exercise.

It's not just with physical things, either. I'm good at back-tracking problems and puzzling things out in general. I'm a trouble-shooter. If something breaks, whether it's a computer or an object, or I have to track something down because of someone else's mistake, or even if there's been a miscommunication and we're figuring out where exactly the break in comprehension happened, rooting out the problem using the skills mentioned above is something I've been able to do since I was a kid.

Now, tell me. What function is that? Or is it multiple functions working together? Which ones do you think they are?

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mainly, you're using perceiving functions. You sound like you're introverting what you interact with and storing it. Quite impressive Si, mostly?

For supplementary functions, I'm going to guess T of some sort. You don't seem to be relating to the world in a way that has much to do with people, values or anything very social. Maybe Ti since your example about chainmaille weave reminds me of the way that Se>Ti people like to understand physical systems.

Difficult to say, though.

EDIT:
To sum up:
First paragraph: Si and Ti
Second paragraph: Se-Ti
Third paragraph: Si and Ti again?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think you're an ESTP.

...backwards engineering sounds like an STP pastime.

Not only that, but I thought my clear sensory memory was Si, and apparently not.

Si =/= memory.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mostly hear Sensing in this. It's hard to say if it's introverted or extroverted just from this, but the focus seems to be on the literal objects themselves over your personal impression of them, so I'm going with Se. I also hear more touches of Ti than Te, with the focus of your reasoning being on pinpointing flaws in some kind of system so as to perfect it. It seems you interact with the world via sensing & thinking is more of an aspect of your inner world.

I may have a bias in knowing you're type (or what you used to identify as though). Still, I think I'd type this person as an ST and an S-dom, leaning towards ESTP.

G

Ginkgo

About you finding things you have lost -

You know, intuition is conjuring up a vision you've never had before. It's that like finding an idea in a pool of others? :p

Sometimes, the answer is the last thing you would expect.

But yeah, that post is just how you work so it could mean anything.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, a lot of this sounds like one particular neocortex region or two (from Nardi's Neuroscience of Personality):

Nardi said:
O1 Visual Engineer
Read a chart or diagram
Visually disassemble an object to visualize its components and how it works.
Visual how elements of an object will fit together to form a structure.
Mentally rotate an object in your mind's eye

People who rely on this region are natural engineers and architects, able to mentally rotate objects, follow charts and diagrams with ease, and project how building element will fit together in their mind's eye. This region can also compensate for or mimic deductive reasoning, by visualizing tree structures or Venn diagrams.

[and/or]

F3 "Deductive Analyst"
Make logical deductions
Backtrack or correct your thinking due to a reasoning error
Follow a chain of reasoning

Gets active when we follow a branching logical structure or chain of reasoning towards a conclusion. Requires thinking in words or symbols. Most people who less activity here than in most regions.

F3 tends to be a strength of Ti, but not limited to Ti users. O1 is pretty varied, I think.

I'm not sure that helps, but thought it was interested how a number of things you said sounded like O1, in particular... with a bit of T3 in there, too.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION], ooo. I will need to look at that. Thank you.

Overall, I think my problem is negotiating the differences between Si and Se. I've described this thought process to several people and some say it's Se and others are sure it's Si. I'm starting to think those are the most misunderstood functions ever. :p

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It can be difficult trying to separate functions out, especially when no function manifests itself in a 'pure' form. They're always under the partial influence of other functions. Furthermore, you could just be a very developed Sensor, with developed Se and Si.

I said Si not because it was memory as such but because it reminded me of my Ni-friend. It was the way you said you closed your eyes to find things. And not just to find things, but to re-perceive. That just struck me as very introverted perceiving-ish. But I can certainly see why ESTP is a reasonable conclusion, too.

…That probably didn't help a jot, did it?