User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your birth order and level of extroversion?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oldest child, extrovert.

7 10.29%
  • Middle child, extrovert.

0 0%
  • Youngest child, extrovert.

6 8.82%
  • Only child, extrovert.

1 1.47%
  • Oldest child, introvert.

26 38.24%
  • Middle child, introvert.

7 10.29%
  • Youngest child, introvert.

14 20.59%
  • Only child, introvert.

7 10.29%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm the oldest of two and an introvert. My younger brother is an introvert as well.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Second of six, and pretty borderline introvert/extrovert.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Glycerine

I was youngest, oldest, youngest and am borderline!

ReflecTcelfeR

I am the youngest. My brother is an ISTJ. I think to add a lil more onto this I would say he was forced to be a little more responsible which means in the USA creating stability and as such he developed an Introverted Sensing dom in order to combat that need.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i was the youngest of my fathers and have two older sisters. was very much always treated as the baby...i also had a younger sister who had a different father from my mothers 2nd marriage but with the age difference...and i guess the fact that my father was very much in our lives...joint custody and all that...i never really felt like a middle child...tho i should've i think...because i do feel like an older sister....whatever...anyway...both youngest and middle child i guess and extroverted. my oldest sister is also extroverted and the other two are not....they're also the only s's in the family.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

The oldest child here, and an introvert if there ever was one.

For what it's worth, my younger sister is even more introverted than me. She has difficulty being assertive.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    If there is no correlation between the two variables, then the evidence presented in this thread will show it. Thus, proving the hypothesis null and void.
    Not necessarily. There could appear to be a correlation just because of chance, especially if there are only a few dozen people who vote.

According to a psych prof I had in university, much of the birth order effect is only apparent when you are with your family. For example, the oldest child is often "the responsible one" around their family, but they don't necessarily act more responsible and dutiful around their peers, or after they grow up and move away. So it's basically people responding to their situation, not developing permanent traits.

Anyways, I'm my mother's oldest (1 half-sibling, 12 years younger) and my father's only.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Not necessarily. There could appear to be a correlation just because of chance, especially if there are only a few dozen people who vote.

According to a psych prof I had in university, much of the birth order effect is only apparent when you are with your family. For example, the oldest child is often "the responsible one" around their family, but they don't necessarily act more responsible and dutiful around their peers, or after they grow up and move away. So it's basically people responding to their situation, not developing permanent traits.
    This is related to what I was thinking of. I also was thinking that there may be a possibility that introverts growing up as only children or starting off and then becoming the older child, may have the chance of honing in their more introverted traits at home. They become quite focused on their goals or their own thoughts/feelings. There may be a possibility that introverts that are the youngest child in the family are likely to become more introverted due to either having a more extroverted family and they desire to have their own space, or if they grow up in an introverted setting with much older siblings, they will become self-reliant and more involved in their own inner worlds. Middle child introverts could exhibit moderate levels of introversion due to having either a sibling that encourages them to be more expressive, or the older sibling that helps take care of them.

Conversely, with extroverts, it may be possible that those that are the oldest children in the family feel a higher amount of responsibility to take care of their siblings, thus being a bit more outgoing and encouraging with their family. For middle child extroverts, they'd show moderate levels of extroversion because they may need to spread out the attention evenly between their two siblings and other family members. For youngest child extroverts, they would be perhaps even more extroverted because they would receive attention from other family members.

Not sure if this is really the case, though. It may be just by chance that these scenarios happen. Would need sufficient evidence to support this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Eldest, introvert.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

anyone relate to this?

First Borns: Energetic, Logical, Ambitious, Enterprising, Scholarly. Famous first born children: Walter Conkrite, Dan Rather, Oprah Winfrey, Rush Limbaugh and Arsenio Hall.

Middle Children: Flexible, Diplomatic, Rebellious, Attention-seeking, Competitive, Peacemakers. Famous middle born children: Donald Trump, Ted Kennedy, Tim Allen, Julia Roberts, and Rosie O'Donnell.

Last Born Children: Risk takers, Idealists, Good sense of humor, Immature, Attention-seeking, Secretive, Sensitive. Famous last born children: Howard Stern, Jay Leno, Ralph Nadar, Bill Gates, and Danny DeVito.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison