• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Does One Tell Introverts From Extraverts?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I understand that the difference between introversion and extraversion is where a person gets his or her energy. This is why I consider myself an ENFP- one with some self-esteem problems I'm working on fixing- but an extravert nevertheless.

I have met a good number of people I first typed as extraverts because they always seemed outgoing and energetic- at least when talking to me.. I dunno maybe I have magic. ;).

However, for many when managing to bring up personality in some form in a conversation, I get the impression that many who I originally thought were extraverts are introverts because they talk about their strong need to be alone.

One or two even seemed somewhat surprised that I thought they were extraverts (interestingly, they tested as stronger introverts than many others who I knew right away were introverted).. but it had to do with their enthusiastic attitude in our conversations. However, is that simply my part as an ENFP? I tend to get excited easily and hold a positive and optimistic attitude, does that tend to brush onto other people?

A interesting note is that this is only for Sensing and/or Feeling types I make this mistake with. Even though INTJs and INTPs can be confident in social situations, they usually make it pretty clear that they prefer their own company over others. Also these types are the hardest to get excited..

At first, I thought relative to me, that many of the introverts I know seemed to be a lot more assertive and confident.. but I know now that doesn't necessarily correlate with introversion/extraversion.

How does one tell the difference between introverts and extraverts?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's not as simple as energy. If it were, everyone would be an introvert 'cause everyone gets energy when they sleep.

It's where they focus their energy.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
My understanding of extroversion is that they draw energy from interactions... become energized by them or enjoy the stimulation. As a rather strongly introverted type, I never do. Interacting drains me of what energy I had walking into the situation. For a comparatively short time, depending on the amount of stimuli, I might seem more energetic but, as time goes on, it will be apparent I'm getting tired or unfocused. This can happen sitting in my own den listening to a loved one... and if the TV is on, the dog wants out or someone else wants attention too... something's gotta give or I'll have to depart for a break. It takes energy for me to focus on what's happening and what they're saying. Perhaps my focus is more intense than an extroverts?... I don't know never having fully been one (at one point in my life, by testing, I was closer to "E" than usual but reverted back to far "I")... In social gatherings, especially with musci playing, people talking to you, traffic going by, people coming in and out, etc... that's alot to focus on. When I hit overload, I get disoriented... in fact, I've had trouble driving home and arrive there exhausted.

Edit: you mention "enthusiasm"... that has a bearing on my energy level also. I have to be animated for the sake of courtesy.. remembering that and acting accordingly is also tiring... I don't do that while alone. It doesn't seem to bother and extrovert and I've often wondered what they're like when alone. :) Anyway, it appears to be more natural to them and not depleting.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's hard to perceive from what other people derive their energy, assuming that's the right definition for introversion/extraversion. I get energized by talking to people.

It could be what Nocapszy said, but I think it's difficult to judge extraversion/introversion in other people unless you know them insanely well.

The more I think about it, the more arbitrary it begins to seem.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
It's hard to perceive from what other people derive their energy, assuming that's the right definition for introversion/extraversion. I get energized by talking to people.

It could be what Nocapszy said, but I think it's difficult to judge extraversion/introversion in other people unless you know them insanely well.

Remembering some of the test questions, I'm wondering how you typed introvert then.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You might find it more to your liking to take a raw function test instead.
One of the reasons people have such a hard time answering this question is because very few people rely heavily only Introverted or Extravertedd functions.

Extraverted functions are focused on external circumstance, while Introverted functions are focused on mentally internal constructs.
This is wht Fi is about being true to your ideals while Fe is about empathy.
This is why Si is about records of familar experiences while Se is about reacting to present events.

I repeat that the problem in identifying Introverts and Extraverts is that people use these functions rather diversely. People can't really be such things. Only the functions can actually be E or I.
We call people E or I based on which functions they use more often on average.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Remembering some of the test questions, I'm wondering how you typed introvert then.

Usually I retake the HumanMetrics one every so often (a little less than a month), and I might take a new MBTI test that I find to see what I get. Most of the time I get INTJ, but I've gotten ENFJ a few times, and ENTJ and INTP once. I recently found a dichotomy one.

Which test are you talking about?

I repeat that the problem in identifying Introverts and Extraverts is that people use these functions rather diversely. People can't really be such things. Only the functions can actually be E or I.

I remember reading somewhere a quote that said "There are no extraverts. There are 8 functions." I found a test at cognitiveprocesses.com, I'll take it.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
You might find it more to your liking to take a raw function test instead.
One of the reasons people have such a hard time answering this question is because very few people rely heavily only Introverted or Extravertedd functions.

Extraverted functions are focused on external circumstance, while Introverted functions are focused on mentally internal constructs.
This is wht Fi is about being true to your ideals while Fe is about empathy.
This is why Si is about records of familar experiences while Se is about reacting to present events.

Makes sense but there has to be more to it since, when watching TV, I'm externally focused and it doesn't drain me. When I'm painting, I'm visuallly externally focused and it doesn't then either. It has to do with the demands on my focus... like being interrupted while at work writing a report... a no, no... or trying to concentrate or study with someone's blaring radio or boom box going by every five minutes... that's what it feels like dealing socially.

Edit: I just thought of this. I don't get drained if I have a single or couple guests and I'm just talking with one (the woman) in my own home... perhaps because I'm in familiar surroundings?

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Usually I retake the HumanMetrics one every so often (a little less than a month), and I might take a new MBTI test that I find to see what I get. Most of the time I get INTJ, but I've gotten ENFJ a few times, and ENTJ and INTP once. I recently found a dichotomy one.

Which test are you talking about?

I remember reading somewhere a quote that said "There are no extraverts. There are 8 functions." I found a test at cognitiveprocesses.com, I'll take it.

The administered MB one. I can't speak for anything else, like the ones on the net, as they seem to vary so much.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
From this discussion, I would say that some of the people I originally typed as Extraverts are actually Introverts but I am convinced that others are simply Extraverts who think they are Introverts because they recognize that there are times they need to 'recharge'.. but overall love and need people.

Oy! This is the toughest function to work with by far and I can empathize with Keirsey's desire to work with the other three in greater depth.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Extraverts who think they are Introverts because they recognize that there are times they need to 'recharge'.. but overall love and need people.

The end of that could apply to Introverts too...but the first part of that statement could apply to me. I've been doubting my introversion for a while since I've become less quiet and more willing to take initiative to talk to people (though it doesn't really define extraversion), as much as I've figured sending the whole type thing to hell and saying "whatever."

I'd still come here.

But really, how do you tell an introvert from an extrovert (other than making the person take some test)? Does the quiet/talkative thing offer no clues? Is that a characteristic that can just be observed in other people to begin with?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah
i have always said hi to everyone i'd see
but as far as being quiet, thats me
i'm quietly outgoing
i love being around people,
but in an intimate group
I abhor loud noises
and listen more than i talk
?

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Chattiness one on one isn't a good indicator of I vs E at all.

I watched myself once. I had lunch with an ENFJ and I was being quite chatty with her. Another person joined us for lunch (also someone I was comfortable chatting with one on one), and I noticed I became significantly quieter, although still saying bits here and there. And then another guy I know (also someone I'm comfortable chatting with one on one) joined us. I went completely silent, while my ENFJ friend became louder and more animated as each person joined us. It was weird, because I was watching myself fall quiet. It was nothing to do with nervousness or anxiety - it was just purely about the number of people I was interacting with.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Chattiness one on one isn't a good indicator of I vs E at all.

I watched myself once. I had lunch with an ENFJ and I was being quite chatty with her. Another person joined us for lunch (also someone I was comfortable chatting with one on one), and I noticed I became significantly quieter, although still saying bits here and there. And then another guy I know (also someone I'm comfortable chatting with one on one) joined us. I went completely silent, while my ENFJ friend became louder and more animated as each person joined us. It was weird, because I was watching myself fall quiet. It was nothing to do with nervousness or anxiety - it was just purely about the number of people I was interacting with.

quantity is it exactly
group activities or alone/one or two well know people
?

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
quantity is it exactly
group activities or alone/one or two well know people
?

Yeh, reading what's been said, it is and I think I'm starting to see its about the intensity of focus. I think an extrovert's attention is probably more diffuse in a social setting. I have an extrovert friend who describes a conversation cursorily as the jist of it. Whereas, when I do, its more word for word because that's what I've paid attention to... hard to pay that kind of attention to more than one or two people at once.

LucrativeSid

There's no "in here" and "out there". Everything that you are aware of "out there" is actually "in here". You can't have one without the other. They're completely connected. Fundamentally, there's NO difference between an introvert and extravert.

There's no difference between my inner world and my outer world. They are both MY WORLD. It is ONE reality, which entirely exists inside of my brain. And everybody is like this, so where does the difference come in, if we are forced to create lables and such?

Introvert - The outer world is something that strengthens their sense of reality through reflection.
Extravert - The outer world is something that strenthens their sense of reality through experience.

No, I really have idea what I'm talking about. I'm just thinking. I do agree with my first two paragraphs fully, but I'm a little less sure of my conclusion, since I just conjured it. ;)

Everybody reflects and everybody experiences so it's impossible to tell if someone's an introvert or extravert based on how they act in one or two situations. There could literally be thousands of reasons that anybody would do something a certain way at a certain time. An introvert can easily chat your ear off and an extravert can easily remain quiet. As far as where you focus your energy most of the time, that's a tough one, because the inner world and the outer world are not actually separated.

Personally, I don't feel like I'm an extravert or an introvert. I can have fun reading a book or thinking for hours, and I can have fun having fast paced discussion with a bunch of people. (I think doing something for fun is beneficial, and I think doing something for a benefit is fun.) I'd be dumb not to make the best of whatever situation I'm in or to draw limits upon myself.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
There's no "in here" and "out there". Everything that you are aware of "out there" is actually "in here". You can't have one without the other. They're completely connected. Fundamentally, there's NO difference between an introvert and extravert.

There's no difference between my inner world and my outer world. They are both MY WORLD. It is ONE reality, which entirely exists inside of my brain.

Inductively or deductively? What's your premise? or is this mysticism?

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
It's not as simple as energy. If it were, everyone would be an introvert 'cause everyone gets energy when they sleep.

It's where they focus their energy.

There's no difference between my inner world and my outer world. They are both MY WORLD. It is ONE reality, which entirely exists inside of my brain. And everybody is like this, so where does the difference come in, if we are forced to create lables and such?

Introvert - The outer world is something that strengthens their sense of reality through reflection.
Extravert - The outer world is something that strenthens their sense of reality through experience.

So two ENTPs saying there is no such thing as introvert/extravert? Maybe it's because you're just seeing the world through your eyes. If you don't know what an inner world is, don't assume it doesn't exist. I have a very vivid inner world. At times, it is way more real to me than the external world. I sometimes resent the intrusion of the external world and try to tune out what's around me so I can think.

I think maybe it's a false dichotomy that you're arguing against. It's not that all introverts want to spend all of their time alone or that all extraverts want to spend all their time with people. But introverts do find large chunks of time with other people quite draining.

LucrativeSid

Inductively or deductively? What's your premise? or is this mysticism?

I don't know how to answer you. To me, it's just science and common sense. Could you be more specific as to what you want answered? Objective reality may exist, and that doesn't matter. What matters is that your experience is subjective, no matter what.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know how to answer you. To me, it's just science and common sense. Could you be more specific as to what you want answered? Objective reality may exist, and that doesn't matter. What matters is that your experience is subjective, no matter what.

You answered it... thanks.