MBTI extrovert - relate self to world?

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Yeah, it's confusing.

The whole letters E-N-T-P in the Myers-Briggs system is just shorthand for the cognitive functions anyway, and as I've come to understand it the cognitive functions are sort of their own self-contained types anyhow, so maybe it's best to just look at that and not worry about it.

I mean, I'm *definitely* Ne dominant, but I don't think it's easy to boil people down to whether or not their introverted-extroverted and ignore everything else, because Ne is a radically different kind of extroversion from, say Fe. It's not just as easy as the sum of E+N+T+P.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think that if I met most of you I think I'd probably come off as "introverted" at first glance.

CRISIS AVERTED, I'm not an INTP or INTJ, haha.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Poriferan View Post
    I repeat that the problem in identifying Introverts and Extraverts is that people use these functions rather diversely. People can't really be such things. Only the functions can actually be E or I.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falls_Pioneer View Post
    I remember reading somewhere a quote that said "There are no extraverts. There are 8 functions."
    These are along the right track, based on my personal experience and observations of others. Both extraversion and introversion appear to manifest themselves differently based on an individual's primary function. An ESFJ, then, will behave differently than, say, an ENTP; perhaps, because the former is a much more common type, behave as the typical "sociable" extravert.

There are clues along the way that may aid a process of elimination -- my own example would be Enneagram test results showing very low conformity to the Five and Nine. There are doubtless more.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think that if I met most of you I think I'd probably come off as "introverted" at first glance.
    Yes. My director is a textbook ENTP, but extraverts only in certain circumstances, not necessarily social ones; and in fact he's been inconspicuous during division meetings. I thought he was introverted when I interviewed.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Oh, trust me, if you met me with more than a couple of people I didn't know present, you would definitely know. And, if you first met me at a small comfortable gathering then, later, at a big one you would think it was my twin or something... not the person you thought you knew. And, no, I'm not the least bit "shy" and not prone to moods. (kinda "Fy") Although being in that situation might come close to putting me in one... because I'm an introvert!

Prefix: -in and -ex = "in" and "out"

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Interesting thread.

I would say that most human beings tend to lean towards introversion rather than extroversion. For example, in every class I ever was apart of through my entire academic career, I've noticed a trend of about 20&#37; or less of my classmates exhibiting obvious levels of extroversion, myself included.

Once again, I think *most* people lean towards being more introverted than extroverted.

I view my extroversion as a two-part thing, the first part involves my people passions, and social skills, to explain further, I have always been fascinated and most concerned with people, and the hows and whys behind the behaviors they exhibit. Also, I happen to be "talented" with people, I seem to inherently understand them well and this understanding is often well received. People have a huge impact on me, and there is nothing more pleasurable to me than having an awesome person, or people-related experience...nothing.

The second part of my extroversion has to do with my apparently high comfort levels of, and at, *being myself in the company of others*. I rarely feel uncomfortable being myself, and sharing myself openly with people. Therefore, people *rarely* make me feel uncomfortable or restrained, I am basically as comfortable in my own skin when in the company of strangers than when in the company of myself.

K, hope that helps..
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    The second part of my extroversion has to do with my apparently high comfort levels of, and at, *being myself in the company of others*. I rarely feel uncomfortable being myself, and sharing myself openly with people. Therefore, people *rarely* make me feel uncomfortable or restrained, I am basically as comfortable in my own skin when in the company of strangers than when in the company of myself.
    K, hope that helps..
    since there are some confused here, I'm replying. I like and enjoy people. I don't know why MB is interpreted by some as innies not liking people. I too find them fascinating and seek to understand them. On the whole, I enjoy them. Just not too many at a time as my focus is intense and on the individual. I am also very comfortable in my own skin. I think my social skills are pretty good, it is just an effort for me remembering them as they don't come naturally and if there's alot going on, I have to concentrate with effort. I keep coming back to this... "I" is dominant.. that means "natural" "done with ease" ... extroversion or focusing on large areas (breadth) is not. The is no such thing as "diffuse" attention for me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

by definition, an introvert has a dominant introverted function.

it's like nemo said. Ji doms and Pi doms are different kinds of introverts.

you can be more or less introverted based on how much time you spend in your introverted functions. i know 2 INTJs that act extremely differently -- one spends much much much more time in Ni than the other, but they both use Ni more than Te.

in short: you can tell if someone's an introvert or an extrovert by figuring out their functions and observing their behavior over time. it's actually easier than that because you don't need to distinguish between S/N or T/F.

kind of a boring answer, sorry. couldn't figure out any other way to respond.