User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Extraverts who think they are Introverts because they recognize that there are times they need to 'recharge'.. but overall love and need people.
    The end of that could apply to Introverts too...but the first part of that statement could apply to me. I've been doubting my introversion for a while since I've become less quiet and more willing to take initiative to talk to people (though it doesn't really define extraversion), as much as I've figured sending the whole type thing to hell and saying "whatever."

I'd still come here.

But really, how do you tell an introvert from an extrovert (other than making the person take some test)? Does the quiet/talkative thing offer no clues? Is that a characteristic that can just be observed in other people to begin with?
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

yeah
    i have always said hi to everyone i'd see
    but as far as being quiet, thats me
    i'm quietly outgoing
    i love being around people,
    but in an intimate group
    I abhor loud noises
    and listen more than i talk
    ?
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INTP

Chattiness one on one isn't a good indicator of I vs E at all.

I watched myself once. I had lunch with an ENFJ and I was being quite chatty with her. Another person joined us for lunch (also someone I was comfortable chatting with one on one), and I noticed I became significantly quieter, although still saying bits here and there. And then another guy I know (also someone I'm comfortable chatting with one on one) joined us. I went completely silent, while my ENFJ friend became louder and more animated as each person joined us. It was weird, because I was watching myself fall quiet. It was nothing to do with nervousness or anxiety - it was just purely about the number of people I was interacting with.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Chattiness one on one isn't a good indicator of I vs E at all.

I watched myself once. I had lunch with an ENFJ and I was being quite chatty with her. Another person joined us for lunch (also someone I was comfortable chatting with one on one), and I noticed I became significantly quieter, although still saying bits here and there. And then another guy I know (also someone I'm comfortable chatting with one on one) joined us. I went completely silent, while my ENFJ friend became louder and more animated as each person joined us. It was weird, because I was watching myself fall quiet. It was nothing to do with nervousness or anxiety - it was just purely about the number of people I was interacting with.
    quantity is it exactly
    group activities or alone/one or two well know people
    ?
    I N V I C T U S

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    quantity is it exactly
    group activities or alone/one or two well know people
    ?
    Yeh, reading what's been said, it is and I think I'm starting to see its about the intensity of focus. I think an extrovert's attention is probably more diffuse in a social setting. I have an extrovert friend who describes a conversation cursorily as the jist of it. Whereas, when I do, its more word for word because that's what I've paid attention to... hard to pay that kind of attention to more than one or two people at once.

There's no "in here" and "out there". Everything that you are aware of "out there" is actually "in here". You can't have one without the other. They're completely connected. Fundamentally, there's NO difference between an introvert and extravert.

There's no difference between my inner world and my outer world. They are both MY WORLD. It is ONE reality, which entirely exists inside of my brain. And everybody is like this, so where does the difference come in, if we are forced to create lables and such?

Introvert - The outer world is something that strengthens their sense of reality through reflection.
    Extravert - The outer world is something that strenthens their sense of reality through experience.

No, I really have idea what I'm talking about. I'm just thinking. I do agree with my first two paragraphs fully, but I'm a little less sure of my conclusion, since I just conjured it.

Everybody reflects and everybody experiences so it's impossible to tell if someone's an introvert or extravert based on how they act in one or two situations. There could literally be thousands of reasons that anybody would do something a certain way at a certain time. An introvert can easily chat your ear off and an extravert can easily remain quiet. As far as where you focus your energy most of the time, that's a tough one, because the inner world and the outer world are not actually separated.

Personally, I don't feel like I'm an extravert or an introvert. I can have fun reading a book or thinking for hours, and I can have fun having fast paced discussion with a bunch of people. (I think doing something for fun is beneficial, and I think doing something for a benefit is fun.) I'd be dumb not to make the best of whatever situation I'm in or to draw limits upon myself.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    There's no "in here" and "out there". Everything that you are aware of "out there" is actually "in here". You can't have one without the other. They're completely connected. Fundamentally, there's NO difference between an introvert and extravert.

There's no difference between my inner world and my outer world. They are both MY WORLD. It is ONE reality, which entirely exists inside of my brain.
    Inductively or deductively? What's your premise? or is this mysticism?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    It's not as simple as energy. If it were, everyone would be an introvert 'cause everyone gets energy when they sleep.

It's where they focus their energy.

There's no difference between my inner world and my outer world. They are both MY WORLD. It is ONE reality, which entirely exists inside of my brain. And everybody is like this, so where does the difference come in, if we are forced to create lables and such?

Introvert - The outer world is something that strengthens their sense of reality through reflection.
    Extravert - The outer world is something that strenthens their sense of reality through experience.
    So two ENTPs saying there is no such thing as introvert/extravert? Maybe it's because you're just seeing the world through your eyes. If you don't know what an inner world is, don't assume it doesn't exist. I have a very vivid inner world. At times, it is way more real to me than the external world. I sometimes resent the intrusion of the external world and try to tune out what's around me so I can think.

I think maybe it's a false dichotomy that you're arguing against. It's not that all introverts want to spend all of their time alone or that all extraverts want to spend all their time with people. But introverts do find large chunks of time with other people quite draining.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Inductively or deductively? What's your premise? or is this mysticism?
    I don't know how to answer you. To me, it's just science and common sense. Could you be more specific as to what you want answered? Objective reality may exist, and that doesn't matter. What matters is that your experience is subjective, no matter what.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know how to answer you. To me, it's just science and common sense. Could you be more specific as to what you want answered? Objective reality may exist, and that doesn't matter. What matters is that your experience is subjective, no matter what.
    You answered it... thanks.