123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Type and Ethics.

I work around a bunch of ethical issues and with a lot of different types. It got me thinking about what types may be inclined to think that the end justifies the means or visa versa.

At first I thought that an Si person may be the one who figures that if you take each logical "right" next step, then the end will be favorable. Ne thinking that there would be a "right" end goal, and take whatever steps to achieve it. I wasn't sure about the other two- perhaps similarly grouped, or perhaps Se would go with Ne, and Ni would go with Si in this case. Then I thought that perhaps an NF would want to look at the entire situation and be right all around, (being inclined to think about these things anyways- ending up similar to the SJ in this situation.) NT's and SP's may be looking for the end result. Then I figured that an Fi may be inclined to take it on a situation to situation basis- values well defined and deciding subjectively and situationally. Where Te may be looking for a certain generally "right" end that applies to a wide variety of situations. Or just the simple T vs. F in general. (Well, the list goes on and on.)

Anyway, that, and other ethical values- who places importance on what?

What's your type, and ethical code? (You can include other definitions besides just ends/means.)

Also, I was looking at this website- some values are basic, others that I didn't know had a definition.

http://www.ascensionhealth.org/index...=47&Itemid=171
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

My ethics could be described as a very complex web of primary values with secondary and tertiary values stemming from those values. I've never actually visually represented my moral code, but that's probably what it would look like if I did. It's not strictly utilitarian; there's certainly a subjective element to my method as well. I detach to analyze objectively according to my value system, but my values themselves could be considered subjective. An action which produces positive feeling/results while avoiding significant pain could be considered good. An action that produces positive feeling/results as well as significant pain for the sake of the greater good could be considered tragic, and can only be justified by necessity.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

I have many moral implications and comparatively few moral truths/beliefs. Basically I have several core beliefs I'm not willing to compromise, and then I read into them and find applicable shades of morality for a given situation. The shades are quite fluid, and I'm very open to discussion/compromise on them, but the closer it gets to the core value the more stubborn and sure I become.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'd say that, if the means prevent a worse end from coming about, they are justified. If the means undermine the final end, they were not.

My values database is currently under renovation. So much horse shit that needs to be shoveled out.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

mine are fairly basic in the end... do not screw over another human being unless you can help it (revenge is a different category)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

I'd add that, whether or not the end is good or evil isn't important in this case; if you want an end to come about, any means you take toward it can be justified as long as you do not end up in a worse position because of them, or end up undermining your goal because of them.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    My values database is currently under renovation. So much horse shit that needs to be shoveled out.
    I know what that feels like. More along the lines of unwarranted prejudices or some other garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I know what that feels like. More along the lines of unwarranted prejudices or some other garbage.
    Yes. Also, the concepts of right/wrong, good/bad. It's perceptional within the societal construct of law. By rote values can harm, worse than WMDs. Worse yet, deliberate ignorance.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Socionics
    ???

I disagree that the ends justifies the means. You should never sacrafice other morals in the quest to achieve a "greater good." The means influences the ends and how you come about something should be clean and honest and dignified otherwise your whole effort will be fowled and corrupted.