• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and Ethics.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Coffee is good.

I just bawlk at relativism, particularly when its presented as a fact, Chesterton totally tore most of the Nietzsche lite which has since become popular to pieces in a very simple argument in a book entitled orthodoxy, he suggested that it was moral cowardice to suggest such a thing as beyond good and evil was possible, you were either extra good or extra evil but it was/is one of those definitive things its impossible to do without.

I dont know what it is that makes good people blame authority or suspiscious of dichotomies like this right away, perhaps its a deep down hope that Socrates was right and that no one knowingly does harm or evil and that the only evil is really ignorance of the good but it bothers me and its why I tend to retort like that. Often its not something which has been thought out that much and is just thrown out with expectations of acceptance or a kind of easily knocked down moral outrage.

And that's the God Damned Truth in a God Damned nutshell. Got that [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION]? (Sorry, I won't let you live that one down, I love that post. :laugh: I would respond, but want [MENTION=14298]Lord Guess[/MENTION] to explain their POV first.

Lark

And that's the God Damned Truth in a God Damned nutshell. Got that [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION]? (Sorry, I won't let you live that one down, I love that post. :laugh: I would respond, but want [MENTION=14298]Lord Guess[/MENTION] to explain their POV first.

I dont need to live that down, I love that post.

G

Ginkgo

I prefer deontology but there are instances where the path to Hell is paved with good intentions. Those intentions, in particular, are held up by corroded principles.

The Golden Rule reverses the all too human tendency to love no one. As a rule, it should be taken to heart, not in the more common application of damning yourself to raise others above you, or the twisted way of loving yourself more than your neighbor. Rather, we only love others once we love ourselves. Resenting others proceeds from not loving yourself.

The silver rule, which is to treat others respectively, is a tricky thing to me because people have different standards. For instance, while I might prefer to be left alone in a time of crisis, my neighbor may want comfort. It becomes evident to me that I care a bit too much about the consequences and also that I am a bit selfish in trying to determine peoples' happiness in such a particular way. Sure, that sounds screwy. You might think that neglecting another's individual taste would be selfish, but it is not. Rather, it is prideful to assume that you can even know such a thing, or that you can even direct it as though the other was a puppet. Even if you prefer to pander to another's individual taste, you must confront the inescapable truth that it is your taste to pander to others, and perhaps this means that you have no definite taste to begin with. If you define your taste by another's, then you might as well deny any responsibility for your own intentions. So I call bullshit.

My person taste is that I never want to be controlled or have my choices deliberately limited. While I'm free to pick among them, I'd rather not be dropped in a rat maze to be blinded to a convenient or moral course of action. That's how I try to treat others in return.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I work around a bunch of ethical issues and with a lot of different types. It got me thinking about what types may be inclined to think that the end justifies the means or visa versa.
Ethics are feeling-based judgements so all the other functions don't come into it.

ends justify means - extroverted feeling (do whatever is expedient)
means justify ends - introverted feeling (do "the right thing" irrespective of consequences)

Lenore summarizes neatly as saints (I) and politicians (E)

G

Ginkgo

Ethics are feeling-based judgements so all the other functions don't come into it.

ends justify means - extroverted feeling (do whatever is expedient)
means justify ends - introverted feeling (do "the right thing" irrespective of consequences)

Lenore summarizes neatly as saints (I) and politicians (E)

Don't tell me that ethics are never guided my impersonal principles.

Plus, Lenore includes ENFPs and ENTPs in the "politicians"; ENFPs don't prefer to use Fe. Instead, if they were to be "politicians", they would cater to others via Ne.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree that the ends justifies the means. You should never sacrafice other morals in the quest to achieve a "greater good." The means influences the ends and how you come about something should be clean and honest and dignified otherwise your whole effort will be fowled and corrupted.

1. Nowhere have I stated that you shouldn't try to anticipate the future. The distinction lies with understanding that anticipation of the future doesn't make it a guaranteed future.
  2. As far as objectively more beneficial results this is subjective, reliant on whether you factor in negative actions, how you weigh the concrete negative actions against the conceptual potential benefits. In other words, shall we bake all the Jews to benefit the German economy? Shall we conquer China, so the Japanese people can thrive?
  3. Again, the path taken for Guatanamo Bay was done so from a purported greater good stance. What are the lives and emotional and physical health of very few, as compared to the potential of another 9/11? Let's flip the scenario as viewed by "Islamic freedom fighters". Considering the past policies of the U.S., what's the lives of 3000 people or more, weighed against the entire wellbeing of the Middle East?

I think the idea of “ends justifying means” as it has been discussed here is an oversimplification and misinterpretation of the Machiavellian concept for a couple of reasons. First of all, Machiavelli pointed out from jump that leaders and statesmen have to sacrifice personal morality in order to do what’s necessary for both the preservation of themselves and the interests of their state. He was a realist, but he was not a relativist. He believed people who do evil, even if it is for some greater good, have still done evil. However, he believed that since the ultimate good of a statesman is preservation of his state, this is the only criteria that anyone is going to judge them by. Thus, it is the only thing that should be of concern to him as no one is going to pat him on the back if society falls apart but he can say he kept his nose clean.

I also think it’s important to point out that while he acknowledged that immoral action was necessary for the preservation of the state, he never advocated cruelty or evil for its own sake, and even went so far as to say these things ought to be avoided by a good Prince. Which brings me to Jenaphor’s 2nd point that included the historical examples from WWII. In strictly Machiavellian terms, the Holocaust is problematic, but The Rape of Nanjing is debatable. War was good (at least initially) for the economic health of Germany, but Hitler could have easily rallied the German people around a nationalist cause without eugenics.

So, a well-executed German conquest of Europe to jumpstart business? Good. Arbitrary genocide of your own people for no discernable benefit to anyone? Not so good.

The Japanese invasion of China is a little different. In the broadest terms, colonizing a country that was vulnerable due to serious internal instability (who you don’t like anyways) for the purpose of fueling modernization within your own state is legitimate. Committing mass atrocities in a strategically significant city like Nanjing in order to break the political will of your opponent is distasteful, but also legitimate. It helped to subdue the Chinese resistance, and was good for morale in Japan when people might have had doubts about going into a two-front war against the Americans. (Although, to digress, the massacres in Central China were not entirely a matter of policy, but opportunism in the face of poor military discipline and propaganda overhype.)

Would Machiavelli have said either case was good in a moral sense? No, of course not. But if the whole purpose of your existence is to forward the interests of your state, then that question is a moot point.

Coffee is good.
I just bawlk at relativism, particularly when its presented as a fact, Chesterton totally tore most of the Nietzsche lite which has since become popular to pieces in a very simple argument in a book entitled orthodoxy, he suggested that it was moral cowardice to suggest such a thing as beyond good and evil was possible, you were either extra good or extra evil but it was/is one of those definitive things its impossible to do without.

I dont know what it is that makes good people blame authority or suspiscious of dichotomies like this right away, perhaps its a deep down hope that Socrates was right and that no one knowingly does harm or evil and that the only evil is really ignorance of the good but it bothers me and its why I tend to retort like that. Often its not something which has been thought out that much and is just thrown out with expectations of acceptance or a kind of easily knocked down moral outrage.

I found this post interesting given that I understand you to be Catholic, and wondered what your take was on just war theory, which is deeply rooted in the works of St. Augustine and Aquinas. Both of who argued for a doctrine that acknowledges that you sometimes have to knowingly perpetrates evil to combat injustice or existential threat.

On the same note, I wondered what you and everyone else thought about humanitarian intervention, given your feelings on consequentialism.

Lark

I found this post interesting given that I understand you to be Catholic, and wondered what your take was on just war theory, which is deeply rooted in the works of St. Augustine and Aquinas. Both of who argued for a doctrine that acknowledges that you sometimes have to knowingly perpetrates evil to combat injustice or existential threat.

On the same note, I wondered what you and everyone else thought about humanitarian intervention, given your feelings on consequentialism.

I do believe in just war theory, its a logical extention of self-defence to my mind, in situations where you are capable of physically challenging or overcoming an assailant in self defence do you run away, bare an injury or overcome the threat? I think you should overcome the threat, as much because of the potential learning involved for the assailant as for the righteousness of the action itself.

I dont believe Socrates position myself, I think its very optimistic, there are competing rights and ends sometimes and as you say it is sometimes necessary to commit evil acts to prevent greater evil from taking place.

G

Ginkgo

I think the Achilles heel of deontology is that one cannot detect another's intentions with absolute certainty. If one is to bring justice against another based on their decisions, then they must chiefly deal with demonstrable sources. On the other hand, motives are a key element in determining why we carry out heinous actions; even so, one must work their way from evidence to speculation. There are many sides to the issue, so I'm willing to bet that the more stable individuals out there are those who've learned to mediate between deontology and ontology rather that running blind with only a single method in hand.

G

Ginkgo

I like this sentiment. I've always had the feeling that the Catholic community generally views morality as a set of general rules that must sometimes be compromised under dire circumstances and can later be mended through forgiveness. Overly rigid adherence to any specific code of conduct will eventually feel like wearing a straight jacket for more than a couple of reasons.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like this sentiment. I've always had the feeling that the Catholic community generally views morality as a set of general rules that must sometimes be compromised under dire circumstances and can later be mended through forgiveness. Overly rigid adherence to any specific code of conduct will eventually feel like wearing a straight jacket for more than a couple of reasons.

I was raised Catholic, and attended a Jesuit university. I'm admittedly ignorant of the full diversity of perspective within Catholicism on morality, but found the Jesuit perspective to be influential. It's not so much that morality is a set of rules to compromise. More that one hopes to discern and act in accordance with the will of God, and sometimes we fall short. God loves us so He forgives us. The Jesuits talk about "effective love". For them loving your brother means to serve him however best you can. These are two aspects of the Jesuit ideology that contribute to a complexion that's uniquely activist, pragmatic and at times irreverent. You live passionately to know God and His creation, to love others, and to serve both. Any rule or principle that doesn't jive with that can be booted or actively strived against. I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that Ignatian spirituality is kinda the shit, and Jesuits are the coolest people pretty much ever.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'll do my own thing and you can do yours. Working with others to achieve goals is not a problem, but they better be as competent as I am.

Don't use harmful value judgments, especially if you can't defend them with some level of reason. If you project them onto me, I'll likely do the same to you regardless of who you are or your status.

If you're someone who thinks your set of values and norms should be enforced on society, you probably won't get my respect.

If I open up to you about my personal opinions IRL (besides venting) without being pressured...consider it a badge of honor or something.

DO NOT VIOLATE MY PERSONAL SPACE (this is in increasing levels of importance- in physical, emotional, or moral issues.) If you make any sort of habit out of putting me in awkward moral situations, I will quickly reach the point where I will do everything in my power to humiliate and ruin you. If you go by the motto "Do as I say, not as I do", *see previous statement*

"An harm ye none, do what ye will." I'd like to think I make a reasonable effort to live by this.

I hope that made sense.

I'm an ISfP.

G

Ginkgo

I was raised Catholic, and attended a Jesuit university. I'm admittedly ignorant of the full diversity of perspective within Catholicism on morality, but found the Jesuit perspective to be influential. It's not so much that morality is a set of rules to compromise. More that one hopes to discern and act in accordance with the will of God, and sometimes we fall short. God loves us so He forgives us. The Jesuits talk about "effective love". For them loving your brother means to serve him however best you can. These are two aspects of the Jesuit ideology that contribute to a complexion that's uniquely activist, pragmatic and at times irreverent. You live passionately to know God and His creation, to love others, and to serve both. Any rule or principle that doesn't jive with that can be booted or actively strived against.
The common Greek word for sin used in the New Testament is hamartia. This
word derives from a technical word used in archery. It literally means to
miss the mark. It can be used to express willful rebellion against God as
well as making a mistake and falling short. Because the word hamartia is
used in such a broad variety of contexts, one can see that the word sin in
English also carries with it a fairly wide variety of connotations. One
should let the context of an individual passage determine the sense in
which the word sin is to be interpreted. The overall sense one gets from
the Bible is that God is concerned both about the willful, blatant sins
and the unintentional breaking of God's will as well--the falling short
and missing the mark God has set for us.

https://www.evidenceforchristianity.org/index.php?option=com_custom_content&task=view&id=4288
I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that Ignatian spirituality is kinda the shit, and Jesuits are the coolest people pretty much ever.

Lol way to get to the point.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Ethics... I know what is viewed as right or wrong, but there is no visceral response towards someone crossing me. I can usually let go... There are things that I will not do, but I can't tell if it's because it's 'wrong' or if it's because I've been taught it's 'wrong'.... This probably doesn't help at all as my type right now is 9999... Don't know how that happened...

/closet ENT.... Ha!

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My view of ethics is that the conscience is a psychological illness. The easy of mind don't have a little voice in their head needling at them to do this and not do that; their actions are natural and un-self-conscious. By extension, I reject moralism, which is first of all proof of a bad conscience (moralism is personal experience of guilt turned outward; hence the paradox that preachers and the like so often end up in scandals where they've done the things that they most vehemently denounce), and second of all, an attempt to make other people equally ill. It's also profoundly disingenuous, in that it's an attempt to make oneself appear guiltless when one is far from it.

Lest I blatantly fall into the same trap, let it be noted that the fact that I wrote this post about moralism demonstrates that I'm not the ideal innocent person. Such a person would not be capable of writing about morals because they would have no moral understanding. Nor am I contradicting myself by moralizing against morals; I'm making an observation about the psychological condition of moral-conscious people and expressing a personal aversion to that state of mind.

cen98

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Oyyy, I wanted to read all of this thread, maybe I'll come back to it. For basic day to day interactions I like deontology/live and let live/do unto others, utilitarianism is a back up plan when deontology is too idealistic/not practical (in a Churchill and WWII Coventry bombing situation).

I'm a moralist, and I consider myself to be pretty laid back and "easy of mind". When I think I've made a mistake I look at what I did, and do what I can to improve because that is all you can do and much more productive than beating yourself up about it. And I like morals not because I'm a feely ENFP (although it helps ;) ), I just think even from a logical stand point society can't exist properly if the majority of people are running around killing, raping, cheating, lying, etc. And I also believe in equality, so I think people should at least try to hold themselves to the same standard. The point is improving and making the world a better place, even a little

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
Really? Why outdated? Why limiting? What is your alternative conceptualisation and how does it avoid the limits and "outdated" nature you attribute to the dichotomy of good vs. evil?

shortnsweet said:
I assumed that he(she?) was talking about the huge amount of situations that involve both/ or grey areas- and of course good and evil are similar in a lot of areas across the globe and people, but still differ. The concepts are still very much alive and the same, though.

It's been a while since I posted; that'll teach me to lose my internet connection.

[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION] I find it limited and limiting both because of what [MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] said, and because "good" often advocates a restriction of the will to survive to the benefit of the crowd, which does have its practical uses for society's benefit. Having a country/culture/religion full of people who were unwilling to place the needs of the collective above their own, and were encouraged by the dominant moral system to be primarily concerned with their own benefit (any sort of will to achieve, surpass, or dominate is simply an extension of the will to survive) could make creating a cohesive group structure an arduous task. It is, more or less, a restriction and limitation of survival to only survival; it sacrifices the limits of the personal will to survive to the benefit of the group.

I find it outdated because, while good and evil are both valid concepts (you'll never hear me argue that they don't exist, when it is quite clear that they have existed in some form for most of recorded history), they don't go that extra mile in truly defining human morality and cannot be used as the basis for a comprehensive moral system all on their own.

My alternative conceptualization is still a work in progress, admittedly, and I would rather do it justice by giving you a fully coherent system to pick apart and make your decisions based on. Boiled down to its simplest tenets, it accepts that good and evil, while present and real, are both subjective and are both ultimately used by all people to serve the law of survival (which is the desire to live born out of the fear of death), and our moral systems and our drive for purpose (which is again linked to the fear of death). They do exist, they just aren't the end-all-be-all of morality. I'd be happy to go into more detail, once I've gotten everything sorted out to my liking.

Lark

I'm not sure I'll ask you to go into more detail because it all seems too vague, amoralism provides not real alternative to objective concepts like good and evil, I also dont see how it is limiting really as a more limited state of being would that you are proposing which is vague, unclear and incommunicable. Imagine being the only english speaker in a latin country for instance, it is not a freeing state to be in.

It is the vulgarisation or over simplification or hijacking of concepts such as good and evil which I can understand people rejecting or resisting but trying to dispense with them altogether or proposing a complete alternative is nonsensical to me, like suggesting that if you only flap your arms fast enough you will be able to fly rather than walk.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure I'll ask you to go into more detail because it all seems too vague, amoralism provides not real alternative to objective concepts like good and evil, I also dont see how it is limiting really as a more limited state of being would that you are proposing which is vague, unclear and incommunicable. Imagine being the only english speaker in a latin country for instance, it is not a freeing state to be in.

It is the vulgarisation or over simplification or hijacking of concepts such as good and evil which I can understand people rejecting or resisting but trying to dispense with them altogether or proposing a complete alternative is nonsensical to me, like suggesting that if you only flap your arms fast enough you will be able to fly rather than walk.

That's fine. I am not here to convince anyone who isn't willing to accept my views, but I will be happy to share them with anyone who asks when they have been properly designed. It only seems vague because I have not explained it any further; as I said before, I would be happy to do so once they are arranged to my liking. I have not completely dispensed with good and evil; I have simply reduced their supposed importance in the moral question. As for whether or not they are subjective or objective, that is a question to be answered for another day; I have my views on the matter, and you have your own.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I disagree that the ends justifies the means. You should never sacrafice other morals in the quest to achieve a "greater good." The means influences the ends and how you come about something should be clean and honest and dignified otherwise your whole effort will be fowled and corrupted.
But it might actually work. The opposite is just as bad, if not worse: namely, that the means justify the ends. If you follow all the rules, dot the i's and cross the t's, use the correct process, the end will be "good". Yet we see how this falls short in almost every sphere of life. We are an increasingly process-driven society, with everything determined by regulation and administrivia, certification over qualification, legality over reality, and little regard to the quality, suitability, or fairness of outcomes.

In criticizing a "means justify the ends" approach, people tend to lose sight of the fact that there is more than one end. Yes, if all you care about is one single given end, it is easy to find means of reaching it that have significant negative consequences. If one understands the need to balance multiple ends, or goals, however, that in and of itself will constrain the means used in reaching any one of them. If you are not going to put your goals first, however, you might as well not have them, and do nothing.