Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Is Personality Page Crap?

Just read on Personality Page that ISFPs are likely to keep their true opinions to themselves, even to the point of mates not knowing them, and I'm thinking this is more of an ISFJ trait. It is Fe that seeks social harmony. Even the recent thread that Seymour posted about neurological connections to type said that ISFPs are more likely to defend their opinion or take action than an INFP.

This makes sense to me with the nature of Fi and Se. The PTypes description of Exuberant personality type, or ISFP, also clashes with the idea that ISFPs would always keep their opinions to themselves.

I agree that ISFPs could defer to their mates or stay in a bad relationship longer than they should (I am actually very guilty of WANTING to defer to my mate and staying in one bad relationship longer than I should have because of loving the person) but I don't think this Personality Page description is necessarily true.

There are so many fucking theories. One theory says this, another says that. It's absolutely silly.

I do keep my opinions to myself with acquaintances and strangers a lot IRL, though. I actually can be very quiet and passive unless provoked, and I've learned to keep my mouth shut to keep myself from bullshit. I was also very shy and afraid to stand up for myself until I was in high school. I was bullied several times in 4th through 7th grade.

I just don't think it's the nature of mature Fi and Se to never express themselves or fight back. I disagree.

If anything it is Fe which wants to keep the peace. I think some people have ISFPs and ISFJs mixed up. ISFJ is "the stereotypical submissive woman."

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I hold back my opinions a lot. Especially when in a group or if I fear offending someone. I have to be really comfortable to express my opinions on religion, politics, ideologies, etc. and have to be certain they'll understand where I'm coming from, too. Otherwise, I usually just actively listen. One on one with someone having a more intimate conversation, I'm more likely to share.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I never stand up for what I believe in or agreeing with the consensus for the sake of agreeing. I just pick and choose my battles. And I'm more likely to pick my battles when I know for certain it won't be a battle and more of a interesting conversation. Buuuut, if someone starts with me on something, then I'll stand my ground. And I don't step back when threatened. It's one of my weaknesses, actually. I refuse to lose.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I hold back my opinions a lot. Especially when in a group or if I fear offending someone. I have to be really comfortable to express my opinions on religion, politics, ideologies, etc. and have to be certain they'll understand where I'm coming from, too. Otherwise, I usually just actively listen. One on one with someone having a more intimate conversation, I'm more likely to share.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I never stand up for what I believe in or agreeing with the consensus for the sake of agreeing. I just pick and choose my battles. And I'm more likely to pick my battles when I know for certain it won't be a battle and more of a interesting conversation. Buuuut, if someone starts with me on something, then I'll stand my ground. And I don't step back when threatened. It's one of my weaknesses, actually. I refuse to lose.
    I think there is a contradiction between the Keirsey stereotype of SPs being competitive and brave and this idea that an ISFP wouldn't even share their opinion with their mate. Makes no sense to me at all. You guys probably wouldn't even recognize me in person because I can be so pleasant and quiet and avoidant of drama. On the other hand, I will stand up for myself or suddenly lash out in ways that shocks people because it seems so opposite of the way I normally appear on the outside. I'm all like "please, thank you, excuse me" and keeping to myself. But if you fuck with me I will make you regret it. I'm also fiercely protective of my loved ones as well as myself. I express myself MUCH more openly in writing usually. On the other hand, in the PTypes description of the Exuberant personality ISFPs take great pride in not being afraid to stand up for what they believe in. And if EKG study of personality type and function theory says ISFPs are more likely to defend their opinions and take action than INFPs, then these stereotypes are fucking crap.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

This is why I don't think your ISFP Marmie. I really don't like to come across as "type-doubting" because I feel that people know themselves a hell of alot better than what the anonymity of the internet allows, even despite subjectivity.. but to be straight with you, I know an ISFP and he fits that description to a T. My best friend growing up was an ISFJ, and while she definately kept her stronger opinions and judgements more to herself in comparison to most people.. she was very open about strong judgements in the secured confinement of her very large family and friends. It's a trait that could correlate to ISFJ, but I wouldn't say it's a defining one by anymeans. Where as the one, absolutely confirmed 40 yr old ISFP I've known for 6 years now, IS. I can't figure the mofo out and no one else can either. He had another ENFP roomate for about 9 months, and we'd secretly discuss him amongst ourselves.. neither of us could ever shed any light on what his real deal was.. and it was extremely unusual for both of us. ISFP's are some of the most mysterious people I've come across. Masters of secrecy that do not yield to anyone or anykind of truth serum.. be that booze, drugs, extensive emotional manipualtion, or great lengths of building trust and rapport. Unless you very much hide your true thoughts and feelings, which does not seem to be the case at all.. I have a very difficult time buying into you being an ISFP. BUT---- whatever. I've been known to be wrong before.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    And if EKG study of personality type and function theory says ISFPs are more likely to defend their opinions and take action than INFPs, then these stereotypes are fucking crap.
    An electrocardiogram (EKG) tests the electrical activity of the heart.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    This is why I don't think your ISFP Marmie. I really don't like to come across as "type-doubting" because I feel that people know themselves a hell of alot better than what the anonymity of the internet allows, even despite subjectivity.. but to be straight with you, I know an ISFP and he fits that description to a T. My best friend growing up was an ISFJ, and while she definately kept her stronger opinions and judgements more to herself in comparison to most people.. she was very open about strong judgements in the secured confinement of her very large family and friends. It's a trait that could correlate to ISFJ, but I wouldn't say it's a defining one by anymeans. Where as the one, absolutely confirmed 40 yr old ISFP I've known for 6 years now, IS. I can't figure the mofo out and no one else can either. He had another ENFP roomate for about 9 months, and we'd secretly discuss him amongst ourselves.. neither of us could ever shed any light on what his real deal was.. and it was extremely unusual for both of us. ISFP's are some of the most mysterious people I've come across. Masters of secrecy that do not yield to anyone or anykind of truth serum.. be that booze, drugs, extensive emotional manipualtion, or great lengths of building trust and rapport. Unless you very much hide your true thoughts and feelings, which does not seem to be the case at all.. I have a very difficult time buying into you being an ISFP. BUT---- whatever. I've been known to be wrong before.
    Yeah but you're typing by stereotypes and I don't believe this one at all, because not all theories agree on this idea of ISFPs being uber-passive. Most of the extremely silent people I've known seemed ISTP or ISTJ, not ISFP. I think ANY extreme introvert is going to be quiet. You have somebody who is like almost 100 percent introvert, then yeah, they're going to be "mysterious" no matter what their type is, whether it's INTJ or ISFP.

IRL I am very very reserved with strangers and acquaintances. You have no idea. I can live in a house full of people and they think I'm the nicest, sweetest, quietest person unless someone crosses me, then they laugh about how surprisingly firm I become suddenly. I can be absolutely fucking reclusive. It's just that I am a writer and I am a performer and it is what I do. I'm also 50/50 on introversion and extroversion, in the dichotomy social sense.

Which is one of the many reasons I relate to the PTypes descriptions of Exuberant personality of ISFP being totally ambiverted from extreme introversion to extreme extroversion. I am exactly like that, and ISFPs and ENFPs are stereotypically the ambiverts, so I have no idea why people think ISFPs are supposed to be so quiet if they're THE EXTROVERTED INTROVERT.

I used to be extremely quiet and even hide what I was writing. I didn't want other people to read what I was writing. I didn't even used to like for people to read my stories, all the way up through high school. I've been on the Internet for ten years, I'm in my early thirties, and it was a process to let people read my writing, and I find confession and writing very freeing, like it's what I was born to do.

Whatever. I don't need anyone else's input at this point.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    An electrocardiogram (EKG) tests the electrical activity of the heart.
    *EEG

It was a minor mistake. Did you not read that thread? Is that really all you got out of this one?

Troll.

ReflecTcelfeR

I think that PP relies a great deal on behavior. I don't necessarily think this is wrong as long as you see that this is a stereotype and understand that discrepancies in thought and behavior occur. Keep searching! Always keep searching.

Ginkgo

As I sat with straight posture next to the dazzling brook to clear my thoughts, I saw a glimmer in my mind's eye. One by one, my muscles twitched, reluctantly falling back into relaxation. Deep breaths. Winds of life circulated my lungs. The next few seconds took forever; when I least expected it, the Kundalini serpent energy awoke from within me. With ease, it tunneled up my spine and through my chakra points, arriving with great pressure at the base of my skull. And when this great dragon possessed my crown, it assumed the form of a human voice to whisper:

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think there is a contradiction between the Keirsey stereotype of SPs being competitive and brave and this idea that an ISFP wouldn't even share their opinion with their mate. Makes no sense to me at all. You guys probably wouldn't even recognize me in person because I can be so pleasant and quiet and avoidant of drama. On the other hand, I will stand up for myself or suddenly lash out in ways that shocks people because it seems so opposite of the way I normally appear on the outside. I'm all like "please, thank you, excuse me" and keeping to myself. But if you fuck with me I will make you regret it. I'm also fiercely protective of my loved ones as well as myself. I express myself MUCH more openly in writing usually. On the other hand, in the PTypes description of the Exuberant personality ISFPs take great pride in not being afraid to stand up for what they believe in. And if EKG study of personality type and function theory says ISFPs are more likely to defend their opinions and take action than INFPs, then these stereotypes are fucking crap.
    I think this is all very enneagram 6...I identify with quite a lot of it, though I suspect you'd be more confrontational than me. I can be very harsh and blunt and even cruel if I get to that point, though.

It tells me less about your MBTI type, personally. Of course, while it seems you and I are both e6 it's very unlikely we're the same MBTI type!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING