• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Personality Page Crap?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Just read on Personality Page that ISFPs are likely to keep their true opinions to themselves, even to the point of mates not knowing them, and I'm thinking this is more of an ISFJ trait. It is Fe that seeks social harmony. Even the recent thread that Seymour posted about neurological connections to type said that ISFPs are more likely to defend their opinion or take action than an INFP.

This makes sense to me with the nature of Fi and Se. The PTypes description of Exuberant personality type, or ISFP, also clashes with the idea that ISFPs would always keep their opinions to themselves.

I agree that ISFPs could defer to their mates or stay in a bad relationship longer than they should (I am actually very guilty of WANTING to defer to my mate and staying in one bad relationship longer than I should have because of loving the person) but I don't think this Personality Page description is necessarily true.

There are so many fucking theories. One theory says this, another says that. It's absolutely silly.

I do keep my opinions to myself with acquaintances and strangers a lot IRL, though. I actually can be very quiet and passive unless provoked, and I've learned to keep my mouth shut to keep myself from bullshit. I was also very shy and afraid to stand up for myself until I was in high school. I was bullied several times in 4th through 7th grade.

I just don't think it's the nature of mature Fi and Se to never express themselves or fight back. I disagree.

If anything it is Fe which wants to keep the peace. I think some people have ISFPs and ISFJs mixed up. ISFJ is "the stereotypical submissive woman."

Sunny Ghost

I hold back my opinions a lot. Especially when in a group or if I fear offending someone. I have to be really comfortable to express my opinions on religion, politics, ideologies, etc. and have to be certain they'll understand where I'm coming from, too. Otherwise, I usually just actively listen. One on one with someone having a more intimate conversation, I'm more likely to share.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I never stand up for what I believe in or agreeing with the consensus for the sake of agreeing. I just pick and choose my battles. And I'm more likely to pick my battles when I know for certain it won't be a battle and more of a interesting conversation. Buuuut, if someone starts with me on something, then I'll stand my ground. And I don't step back when threatened. It's one of my weaknesses, actually. I refuse to lose.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hold back my opinions a lot. Especially when in a group or if I fear offending someone. I have to be really comfortable to express my opinions on religion, politics, ideologies, etc. and have to be certain they'll understand where I'm coming from, too. Otherwise, I usually just actively listen. One on one with someone having a more intimate conversation, I'm more likely to share.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I never stand up for what I believe in or agreeing with the consensus for the sake of agreeing. I just pick and choose my battles. And I'm more likely to pick my battles when I know for certain it won't be a battle and more of a interesting conversation. Buuuut, if someone starts with me on something, then I'll stand my ground. And I don't step back when threatened. It's one of my weaknesses, actually. I refuse to lose.

I think there is a contradiction between the Keirsey stereotype of SPs being competitive and brave and this idea that an ISFP wouldn't even share their opinion with their mate. Makes no sense to me at all. You guys probably wouldn't even recognize me in person because I can be so pleasant and quiet and avoidant of drama. On the other hand, I will stand up for myself or suddenly lash out in ways that shocks people because it seems so opposite of the way I normally appear on the outside. I'm all like "please, thank you, excuse me" and keeping to myself. But if you fuck with me I will make you regret it. I'm also fiercely protective of my loved ones as well as myself. I express myself MUCH more openly in writing usually. On the other hand, in the PTypes description of the Exuberant personality ISFPs take great pride in not being afraid to stand up for what they believe in. And if EKG study of personality type and function theory says ISFPs are more likely to defend their opinions and take action than INFPs, then these stereotypes are fucking crap.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is why I don't think your ISFP Marmie. I really don't like to come across as "type-doubting" because I feel that people know themselves a hell of alot better than what the anonymity of the internet allows, even despite subjectivity.. but to be straight with you, I know an ISFP and he fits that description to a T. My best friend growing up was an ISFJ, and while she definately kept her stronger opinions and judgements more to herself in comparison to most people.. she was very open about strong judgements in the secured confinement of her very large family and friends. It's a trait that could correlate to ISFJ, but I wouldn't say it's a defining one by anymeans. Where as the one, absolutely confirmed 40 yr old ISFP I've known for 6 years now, IS. I can't figure the mofo out and no one else can either. He had another ENFP roomate for about 9 months, and we'd secretly discuss him amongst ourselves.. neither of us could ever shed any light on what his real deal was.. and it was extremely unusual for both of us. ISFP's are some of the most mysterious people I've come across. Masters of secrecy that do not yield to anyone or anykind of truth serum.. be that booze, drugs, extensive emotional manipualtion, or great lengths of building trust and rapport. Unless you very much hide your true thoughts and feelings, which does not seem to be the case at all.. I have a very difficult time buying into you being an ISFP. BUT---- whatever. I've been known to be wrong before.

Jaguar

And if EKG study of personality type and function theory says ISFPs are more likely to defend their opinions and take action than INFPs, then these stereotypes are fucking crap.

An electrocardiogram (EKG) tests the electrical activity of the heart.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is why I don't think your ISFP Marmie. I really don't like to come across as "type-doubting" because I feel that people know themselves a hell of alot better than what the anonymity of the internet allows, even despite subjectivity.. but to be straight with you, I know an ISFP and he fits that description to a T. My best friend growing up was an ISFJ, and while she definately kept her stronger opinions and judgements more to herself in comparison to most people.. she was very open about strong judgements in the secured confinement of her very large family and friends. It's a trait that could correlate to ISFJ, but I wouldn't say it's a defining one by anymeans. Where as the one, absolutely confirmed 40 yr old ISFP I've known for 6 years now, IS. I can't figure the mofo out and no one else can either. He had another ENFP roomate for about 9 months, and we'd secretly discuss him amongst ourselves.. neither of us could ever shed any light on what his real deal was.. and it was extremely unusual for both of us. ISFP's are some of the most mysterious people I've come across. Masters of secrecy that do not yield to anyone or anykind of truth serum.. be that booze, drugs, extensive emotional manipualtion, or great lengths of building trust and rapport. Unless you very much hide your true thoughts and feelings, which does not seem to be the case at all.. I have a very difficult time buying into you being an ISFP. BUT---- whatever. I've been known to be wrong before.

Yeah but you're typing by stereotypes and I don't believe this one at all, because not all theories agree on this idea of ISFPs being uber-passive. Most of the extremely silent people I've known seemed ISTP or ISTJ, not ISFP. I think ANY extreme introvert is going to be quiet. You have somebody who is like almost 100 percent introvert, then yeah, they're going to be "mysterious" no matter what their type is, whether it's INTJ or ISFP.

IRL I am very very reserved with strangers and acquaintances. You have no idea. I can live in a house full of people and they think I'm the nicest, sweetest, quietest person unless someone crosses me, then they laugh about how surprisingly firm I become suddenly. I can be absolutely fucking reclusive. It's just that I am a writer and I am a performer and it is what I do. I'm also 50/50 on introversion and extroversion, in the dichotomy social sense.

Which is one of the many reasons I relate to the PTypes descriptions of Exuberant personality of ISFP being totally ambiverted from extreme introversion to extreme extroversion. I am exactly like that, and ISFPs and ENFPs are stereotypically the ambiverts, so I have no idea why people think ISFPs are supposed to be so quiet if they're THE EXTROVERTED INTROVERT.

I used to be extremely quiet and even hide what I was writing. I didn't want other people to read what I was writing. I didn't even used to like for people to read my stories, all the way up through high school. I've been on the Internet for ten years, I'm in my early thirties, and it was a process to let people read my writing, and I find confession and writing very freeing, like it's what I was born to do.

Whatever. I don't need anyone else's input at this point.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
An electrocardiogram (EKG) tests the electrical activity of the heart.

*EEG

It was a minor mistake. Did you not read that thread? Is that really all you got out of this one?

Troll.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think that PP relies a great deal on behavior. I don't necessarily think this is wrong as long as you see that this is a stereotype and understand that discrepancies in thought and behavior occur. Keep searching! Always keep searching.

G

Ginkgo

As I sat with straight posture next to the dazzling brook to clear my thoughts, I saw a glimmer in my mind's eye. One by one, my muscles twitched, reluctantly falling back into relaxation. Deep breaths. Winds of life circulated my lungs. The next few seconds took forever; when I least expected it, the Kundalini serpent energy awoke from within me. With ease, it tunneled up my spine and through my chakra points, arriving with great pressure at the base of my skull. And when this great dragon possessed my crown, it assumed the form of a human voice to whisper:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think there is a contradiction between the Keirsey stereotype of SPs being competitive and brave and this idea that an ISFP wouldn't even share their opinion with their mate. Makes no sense to me at all. You guys probably wouldn't even recognize me in person because I can be so pleasant and quiet and avoidant of drama. On the other hand, I will stand up for myself or suddenly lash out in ways that shocks people because it seems so opposite of the way I normally appear on the outside. I'm all like "please, thank you, excuse me" and keeping to myself. But if you fuck with me I will make you regret it. I'm also fiercely protective of my loved ones as well as myself. I express myself MUCH more openly in writing usually. On the other hand, in the PTypes description of the Exuberant personality ISFPs take great pride in not being afraid to stand up for what they believe in. And if EKG study of personality type and function theory says ISFPs are more likely to defend their opinions and take action than INFPs, then these stereotypes are fucking crap.

I think this is all very enneagram 6...I identify with quite a lot of it, though I suspect you'd be more confrontational than me. I can be very harsh and blunt and even cruel if I get to that point, though.

It tells me less about your MBTI type, personally. Of course, while it seems you and I are both e6 it's very unlikely we're the same MBTI type!

wolfy

awsm
I don't keep my true opinions to myself, I'm pretty straightforward with my opinions. I can't remember the personality page description that well. I thought the self improvement page was pretty good and I think it was the first place I read about working on Se.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
All these type descriptions are made about the stereotypical and undeveloped person of that type. this is why i dont really like any of them. imo its better to learn how the functions interact, and studying jung gives the most profound understanding for that, not just the functions or types, but other things related to it, like unconscious, conscious, persona(which isnt relevant to type actually, but can lead you to type yourself or others incorrectly), differentiation etc etc

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Maybe the article had 9w1 ISFPs in mind?

Or maybe IxFxs in general are more prone than the other types to "shut up for the sake of peace"? :laugh:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is the same basic thing I have been explaining to INTP's, regarding the blended temperaments in each type tempering each other. Especially when you pair an introverted Interaction Style with a pragmatic Keirsey group (which is basically another kind of "extroversion" in the temperament sense).

So this is why INTP's don't usually recognize the Choleric side of their personality when looking at the Galen temperaments, and also why ISFP would have a similar issue in being an introvert, yet seeming like an extrovert in some ways. In addition to the likeliness of SP corresponding to what is called a Sanguine in Control, which is known to "swing" between action and passivity at times. (And Phlegmatic Sanguine in Control is the same way).

Plus, Fi being normally peaceful and acquiescent to others' needs, but then standing up for its values when really violated. This plus the Se, again, will describe some of what you're saying.

And different sites and descriptions will focus on one side of this stuff or another. And yes, some will be off base, though Personality Page's stuff seems to be OK.

Still, I would agree with Huxley, and you do still seem more on the E side to me at this point.

Jaguar

*EEG

It was a minor mistake. Did you not read that thread? Is that really all you got out of this one?

Troll.

There's nothing minor about the difference between an EKG and an EEG. No Marm, people aren't trolls for merely stating facts. However, calling people trolls as often as you do, is considered flaming. Knock it off.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
honestly, you don't seem like an isfp to me. most of the ones i know would probably relate to that, they're all pretty passive and non-confrontational. that doesn't mean they're pushovers, but they definitely avoid conflict and are generally private people.

i do hate the part of the infp relationship section on personalitypage that says we enjoy words said during sex more than the actual act. fuck that.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just read on Personality Page that ISFPs are likely to keep their true opinions to themselves, even to the point of mates not knowing them, and I'm thinking this is more of an ISFJ trait. It is Fe that seeks social harmony. Even the recent thread that Seymour posted about neurological connections to type said that ISFPs are more likely to defend their opinion or take action than an INFP.

This makes sense to me with the nature of Fi and Se. The PTypes description of Exuberant personality type, or ISFP, also clashes with the idea that ISFPs would always keep their opinions to themselves.

I agree that ISFPs could defer to their mates or stay in a bad relationship longer than they should (I am actually very guilty of WANTING to defer to my mate and staying in one bad relationship longer than I should have because of loving the person) but I don't think this Personality Page description is necessarily true.

Nobody said that the description has to be necessarily true. To say that something is necessarily true is pretty absolute. In order for the type description to be valid, it's enough to behave according to type most of the time.

My wife is a stereotypical ISFP who holds back the opinions she has toward others. She shares them with me and talks big about acting on some negative opinions, but she never does anything about them.

The ISFJ description which you mentioned says, "They do not usually express their own feelings, keeping things inside." The ISFP description says, "They hold back their ideas and opinions except from those who they are closest to."

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personality page is a good starting point, but it has it's limits. I thought you hated keirsely based theory?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the same basic thing I have been explaining to INTP's, regarding the blended temperaments in each type tempering each other. Especially when you pair an introverted Interaction Style with a pragmatic Keirsey group (which is basically another kind of "extroversion" in the temperament sense).

So this is why INTP's don't usually recognize the Choleric side of their personality when looking at the Galen temperaments, and also why ISFP would have a similar issue in being an introvert, yet seeming like an extrovert in some ways. In addition to the likeliness of SP corresponding to what is called a Sanguine in Control, which is known to "swing" between action and passivity at times. (And Phlegmatic Sanguine in Control is the same way).

Plus, Fi being normally peaceful and acquiescent to others' needs, but then standing up for its values when really violated. This plus the Se, again, will describe some of what you're saying.

And different sites and descriptions will focus on one side of this stuff or another. And yes, some will be off base, though Personality Page's stuff seems to be OK.

Still, I would agree with Huxley, and you do still seem more on the E side to me at this point.

I agree with the parts of that which I understood. I don't go into that much depth with personality theory because to me it's like digging deeper into the cotton candy fluff. It's the kind of theory that just dissolves itself, and the deeper I go the faster it dissolves as it becomes more abstract, more divorced from reality.

If Marmie is an ISFP, then it's not that she is more E but that she is more S. Or one could say she expresses more SE than usual while still being an ISFP. This phenomenon was predicted by John Fudjack based on the MBTI's circular reasoning fallacy. There is nothing in theory to prevent this type from being iSfp versus isFp except the MBTI assumption that the ISFP must have P-non-closure Fi dominant. The iSfp creates a slightly different type, and the new theory contains 32 types rather than the usual 16. (The Fudjack type theory also omits the P and J.) So if Marmie personally disagrees with the ISFP description, it's only because there is no single type-description in the MBTI that matches her preference order.

The MBTI predicts that Marmie, as an isFp, should have a function preference order of F-S-N-T (or what this forum calls Fi-Se-Ni-Te). But S-F-T-N is also a possibility, which will give iSfp (non-closure Si which is usually considered a j-closure function like the classic iSfj).

This, however, is how she scored on the Fudjack-Dinkelaker Functional Preferences Instrument on 4-24-2011 -
N = 20
S = 1
F = 7
T = 8

In other words, the preference order is N-T-F-S. Intuition was the leading and by far most outstanding score on Marmie's test result.

Marmie agreed with this for the most part, stating only that the F-T difference was off by one letter, hinting that she really prefers F over T, and implying that N belongs at the top in the order of preference.

Let's assume that she does prefer F over T. This gives a preference order of N-F-T-S. So if she is an introvert, that gives NiFe, or iNfj (Ni with j-closure), as one possibility, but it also allows iNfp as another possibility. The latter is an Ni with p-non-closure, which is not allowed for by the MBTI naming convention for determining type.

So yes, Personality Page is crap insofar as the MBTI is a crappy theory based on circular reasoning and fallacy-riddled assumptions.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I always hold opinions to myself, people never understand me if I'd try to explain them :D. I am a visionary, legendary !!

1541575_1.jpg