User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

My personal experience with ISFPs is that they do hold back a lot. I haven't met too many who I'd call strong verbal communicators, especially when it comes to their feelings. Most I know in person will reach a point where it comes out in a passive-aggressive manner, via snarky comments or destructive behavior.

Like any Fi-dom, they may be more open with those they trust in their inner-circle. The theoretical descriptions of Fi describe this reservedness as typical also. Jung describes a person who does not venture to express much of themselves unless it's a BIG DEAL to them, and a big part of this is due to an acute awareness that you feel differently from others & will not be understood. There's also little desire to affect other people with their feelings, whereas with Fe types, they very much want to influence others in order to create consensus and unity.

Some of the most quiet, reserved, withdrawn people I've known have been ISFPs. I think extroversion/introversion levels in terms of demeanor is an individual matter.

I think enneagram may play a huge part here too. Many ISFPs are enneagram 9 and they will withdraw & shutdown to cope, avoiding conflict & communicating with others. Profiles tend to be based partly on theory, partly on the writer's own observations. I often see many INFP profiles, for example, read like 9 types, and as a 4 I don't relate as well.

When it comes to INFP profiles, personalitypage is one of the better ones, IMO. That's the one which made me first consider I may be INFP, since I usually test INTP.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's just that SOOOO many people were mistyped on that test, not just myself. That is my observation. That thread became almost like a joke at one point.
    My experience was that he got Fives and some other types right, but others were botched somehow.

I talked to him at length online a number of years ago (Fudjack)... very smart man, that was obvious, but not sure how much I trusted his conclusions, he seemed kind of lost in his data.

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    I was already going to buy some pink and blue cigars just to be ready.
    I've got the birdseed!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    My personal experience with ISFPs is that they do hold back a lot. I haven't met too many who I'd call strong verbal communicators, especially when it comes to their feelings. Most I know in person will reach a point where it comes out in a passive-aggressive manner, via snarky comments or destructive behavior.

Like any Fi-dom, they may be more open with those they trust in their inner-circle. The theoretical descriptions of Fi describe this reservedness as typical also. Jung describes a person who does not venture to express much of themselves unless it's a BIG DEAL to them, and a big part of this is due to an acute awareness that you feel differently from others & will not be understood. There's also little desire to affect other people with their feelings, whereas with Fe types, they very much want to influence others in order to create consensus and unity.

Some of the most quiet, reserved, withdrawn people I've known have been ISFPs. I think extroversion/introversion levels in terms of demeanor is an individual matter.

I think enneagram may play a huge part here too. Many ISFPs are enneagram 9 and they will withdraw & shutdown to cope, avoiding conflict & communicating with others. Profiles tend to be based partly on theory, partly on the writer's own observations. I often see many INFP profiles, for example, read like 9 types, and as a 4 I don't relate as well.

When it comes to INFP profiles, personalitypage is one of the better ones, IMO. That's the one which made me first consider I may be INFP, since I usually test INTP.

Yes someone else also mentioned that this may be much more indicative of enneagram 9 ISFPs and that makes total sense...because enneagram 9 INFJs and INFPs also seem to be less confrontational as well.

I also agree that levels of introversion and extroversion are an individual manner.

I just don't know that me "extroverting" in writing = extrovert, because everything else IRL points to me being an introvert, other than the fact that I'm not afraid to stand up for myself and/or my loved ones.

I generally do not invite conflict IRL, at least not openly, and I am highly likely to withdraw and be quiet and reclusive like ...50 to 75 percent of the time IRL, but I express myself A GREAT DEAL in writing, and on-line.

I didn't always do that, though. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, up until high school I would hide what I was writing and was even hesitant to let people read my stories. Even when I first got on Live Journal it was this whole nerve wracking, anxious process to open up and let people read my thoughts, even if it was "friends only."

But then over time I realized it was exactly what I wanted to do - communicate with others and reveal myself more in writing. I would not enjoy doing this IRL, though. I don't think performing on stage equals extrovert, either. Growing up I was more comfortable dancing or singing on stage than I was talking to strangers or acquaintances face to face. And as a dancer I preferred being on stage to the part of having to talk to the guys a lot, it took me a while to get the hang of that. I also totally suck at any kind of sales for a similar reason. Don't want to talk to people, don't want to pressure them, and also don't want to be bothered...don't like expending the energy, and am bothered by the negativity of rejection.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think a test can be off with some types and handle other types just fine, so that doesn't make the test uniformly "crap." It's just obvious the questions/scaling for some types was properly implemented, but other types were not.Just my two cents.
    Thanks, now I don't have to read her post which I blocked.

Some people demand agreement, and that's type related. So is black-and-white thinking, as when something is either "all crap" or all white or something. For some reason it's necessary for everybody to be "on the same page" with THEM, and no disagreement is allowed. I like to use the term "Nazi," maybe "typology Nazi" would be best in this case.

I've also noticed Marmie and Jaguar following each other around the forum like two dogs sniffing behind each other's tails. They are just 'on patrol' for posts to be disagreeable about. That's a type 6 trait.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

@Marmie Dearest
    I wouldn't be too concerned over one line in a profile you largely don't relate to. There is more than one line in nearly every INFP profile I would strike out, because the writer is just making generalizations to give an overview of how a type often appears.

Plus, I wouldn't view it as the ISFP not expressing opinions in order to please. People have this misconception about INFPs also. More often, with both Fi-doms, feelings are held back to protect them from being devalued by others or "contaminated" by their influence. It can be less about conflict avoidance than simply not having any desire to share, which is what the description of your younger self sounds like. It's true of myself also, and I'm not entirely sure why. I just know am hesitant to share my artwork or bad poetry or whatever with people. It simply exists for ME.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My son is an ISFP and this is him. I have to agree with them being mysterious and very difficult to know. He is friendly, loves to be around people, and is seldom in a "bad" mood. He's extremely witty...very, very fun to be with. And so very private. You have to spend a huge amount of time watching him out of the corner of your eye to really get a true sense of who he is. I think most people would find him impenetrable if they look behind his friendly veneer.

And he will seldom express his opinion on things. If you ask, his answer is most likely a shrug. Most stuff simply isn't a big deal to him. There are some things that he will express his feelings on: invading someone's privacy, being disloyal, using/manipulating people...those are some of the few things I've seen him react strongly to. Even then, it's not expressed strongly, but he will become uncharacteristically serious and talk in great length on the matter.

Much of his feeling toward those he cares for is through acts of service or simply being close by them. His own feelings are carried in the vehicle of music, being outside, and doing things...wandering, looking. It's kind of hard to explain but he is very engaged when he is doing these things.

Marm, you remind me of a toned-down and smarter version of my ESFP sister.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's just that SOOOO many people were mistyped on that test, not just myself. That is my observation. That thread became almost like a joke at one point.
    Originally, you only disagreed with your result on the T/F scales. Now that you've changed your type AGAIN, you disagree with that N result from before whereas it wasn't an issue with you back in your ENFP days.

Look how many times you've changed your type around. How can you criticize the test when you can't even discover your own type?

YOU and one or two of your friends purposely made that thread into a joke. And you've done this to many other threads. It's a result of your unadulterated biases and fear of disagreement, nothing more. The point is that the MBTI is false to the reality of human personality. Fudjack's logic in the theory page is irrefutable. But if you're not open to logic (and you're not), then there's no point in continuing.

But what I offered you above (which you won't care about) is the answer to the riddle of your type. The fact is, whether or not you like the little test, the MBTI is flawed. Your type confusion, and disagreement with the ISFP description, may be due to the fact that you're the other kind of ISFP (assuming you are that). There is nothing in Jungian theory that says you can't favor Si and still have a non-closure preference. It's only the MBTI that assumes this.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

Plus, I wouldn't view it as the ISFP not expressing opinions in order to please. People have this misconception about INFPs also. More often, with both Fi-doms, feelings are held back to protect them from being devalued by others or "contaminated" by their influence. It can be less about conflict avoidance than simply not having any desire to share, which is what the description of your younger self sounds like. It's true of myself also, and I'm not entirely sure why. I just know am hesitant to share my artwork or bad poetry or whatever with people. It simply exists for ME.
    Hmm...this is very interesting. Sounds very much like a parallel of Ti. There's no desire to share and it's hard to even put into terms to share with anyone.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    There's nothing minor about the difference between an EKG and an EEG.
    They are only 1/3rd different
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I've also noticed Marmie and Jaguar following each other around the forum like two dogs sniffing behind each other's tails. They are just 'on patrol' for posts to be disagreeable about. That's a type 6 trait.
    I'm not even close to a 6. What you don't like, mal, is some of us question things that you just buy into - hook, line, and sinker. Sloppy thinking.

You got your panties in a wad ever since I told people to right-click on the code to look at the Fudjack test questions. Many of them were ridiculous, being assigned to certain letters. That's why several people were getting strange results. While you accept results at face value, others do not.