User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Yay I've been looking for something like this for ages!

Would be interested in knowing more about this guy and whether he is respected scientifically etc
    60 people is a small sample.

Quote Originally Posted by dadapolka View Post

Would be interested in knowing more about this guy and whether he is respected scientifically etc
    Yes, one of the problems with his research is his extremely small sample size. There are sixteen types, and only 60 people were tested, which averages out to less than 4 people of each type. That's assuming there actually were 3-4 people of each type, which I would guess wasn't the case, with some types being over represented and others being under represented.

[QUOTE=Seymour;1802908]The section on Ti in the second "spoiler" of the OP is most applicable (since that's as close to he comes discussions INTPs and ISTPs in depth in terms of his research).

Thanks for the info
    I was going to buy the book but now I'm not so sure.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Introverts tend to use the same region when responding to people and objects; this was less true of extraverts.
    This is odd. Could you elaborate on this further?

While Nardi's book show's one kind of "universal" engagement curve, it actually appears to be different for Ns vs Ss (according to some later research). Ns are more engaged by novelty and tended to be more motivated at novel tasks. Ss tended to be less motivated as tasks become less practical or important (writing one's name backwards instead of forwards, for example).
    Interesting! Novelty is usually associated more with Ne than N in general, but I suppose it is not entirely unexpected. It is also interesting that Ns don't need a purpose or end goal to be motivated by a task and Ss prefer that it does. I didn't really think of this as being a specific difference between S and N - I thought of it as being more of a Je vs Ji thing. Perhaps these factors can work in tandem.

ESTJs can enter an INFP-like "in the zone" listening state, but only when listening to authority figures (sorry peers and underlings!).
    Does this apply only to literal authority figures or also to people they perceive to be an authority on a subject? In other words, do they simply respond to people in charge or do they also respond to those who command more knowledge and/or experience than themselves? Perhaps it is more generally driven by respect...

A final thing he pointed out was that those types show a lot of activity in F8 seem to use F8 somewhat differently. INFPs seem to use F8 mostly for positive valuations. ISFPs tend to use it for both positive and negative valuations. Most Te-types tend to use it for negative valuations.
    What reason was given for this difference between INFPs and ISFPs?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I think the reason was the activation of this area in eeg in both negative and positive things
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by dadapolka View Post

According to Nardi, 60 subjects is actually a pretty decent sample by the standards of many published EEG studies (many having 25 or fewer subjects). His approach used a combination of qualitative and quantitive data gathering. He describes it more as a "pilot study." He had a choice between doing something more focused and appropriate for publishing in a peer-reviewed journal, but that would have required establishing the exact study protocol in advance.

Since he didn't know exactly what he was looking for in advance, he opted to do a broader study without a pre-established protocol. That means he had less rigorous, statistically validated data than he might have (although he had some of that), but more qualitative data and flexibility. Ideally a series of more focused follow-up studies would be done, to reproduce and empirically validate what Nardi and his assistants observed.

And, it's true that he only had 3-5 people of each personality type (minimum of three, I recall). It's possible that the people he had for a given type were atypical for their type, or more similar to one another than average for same type individuals. It might be that some people involved were mistyped.

Nardi had previously co-published a small EEG study with a student, but otherwise hadn't been involved in EEG research.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour
    Introverts tend to use the same region when responding to people and objects; this was less true of extraverts.
    This is odd. Could you elaborate on this further?
    I'd like to, but he didn't go into it in great detail. All I foggily remember is introverts, when interacting with objects, show activation in brain regions that, for extraverts, only fire when interacting with people.

I don't know what that implies... it could mean all kinds of things. It could mean that introverts tend to find objects more stimulating than extraverts. It could mean that objects trigger people-related-associations more for introverts. It could mean that introverts carry around internal representations of people that are activated by non-people stimuli.

I have no real idea, but is interesting... and odd, as you said.

Interesting! Novelty is usually associated more with Ne than N in general, but I suppose it is not entirely unexpected. It is also interesting that Ns don't need a purpose or end goal to be motivated by a task and Ss prefer that it does. I didn't really think of this as being a specific difference between S and N - I thought of it as being more of a Je vs Ji thing. Perhaps these factors can work in tandem.
    I think Ni seeks novelty as well, just not necessarily as much external novelty. Most of the Ni folks I know tend to be continually feeding their interests (objective knowledge, culture, spirituality, etc). It seems like perhaps Ni needs information to align to produce better insights and predictions.

Does this apply only to literal authority figures or also to people they perceive to be an authority on a subject? In other words, do they simply respond to people in charge or do they also respond to those who command more knowledge and/or experience than themselves? Perhaps it is more generally driven by respect...
    That's definitely possible. Still, I think SJs tend to have respect, on the whole, for the structure and utility of authority (NOT blind obedience to it, by any means). Given that, it would make sense that a sanctioned authority from a respected organization would start out being given more attention that a peer might.

But I agree that in a study with a handful of people of each type, it's not impossible it was luck of the draw.

Just what INTP said above: there was no reason given, it was just an observed pattern.

What's. The difference between Se and Ti in terms f darios research

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by dimane View Post
    What's. The difference between Se and Ti in terms f darios research
    Push the spoiler buttons at op
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I think what I really mean is what is the difference between NTP and STP

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I think that this sort of brain research is interesting; however the main issue I have is that things seem backwards.. although I realize you have to start somewhere. I feel like thousands of people would have to have their results recorded, *minus reporting mbti type first*, determine definite/solid patterns from that, and then once you have your solid groupings based on brain results alone, THEN you tackle mbti (have people take the test or self-report), and determine whether there is a definitive, absolutely consistent correlation between brain pattern/activity and one and only one type, and determine the validity of current typing methods/understanding, all in one bang. And probably/possibly redefine mbti and how typing is done/how types are determined, from that.

Anyway, the regions/descriptions I identified with most were F3, T4, T5, T6, 02, and Fp1. Least/ones I don't think I utilize much at all are C3 and 01, and possibly F8. All of the others I was neutral/undecided about.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ