User Tag List

First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Actually, I just watched the Google Talk, and he said what he was reporting was a "pilot study" run over 5 years, and in the next steps he is looking at trying to collect a lot more data on people by creating a wireless version that a lot of people can wear.

When, I listened to his actual conclusions and how he reached them, I am rather satisfied with how he is exploring things. I've generally liked Dario Nardi's research efforts. Like Martin Seligman on Positive Psychology years back, I think he is taking steps to make sure he isn't fooling himself...even if they aren't "definitive" experiments, yet.

Certainly, proving to typology skeptics that the conclusions are real are a long way off. But some of the things I noted were that his patterns are not nearly as complicated as I imagined them to be, and his conclusions not as cut-and-dry as I imagined after I read the first post in this thread. Simplicity and probabilistic forms of statements are both pluses, when compared to complexity and definiteness, from my point of view, when dealing with small sample sizes.
    This is my takeaway, too. The main promising aspect is while there is a lot of individuality between instances of the type, his observations note new aspects that are common between types that hadn't been hypothesized or previously observed, such as all the Fi doms being "good listeners," as he describes in Z's video above. In fact, I think his Neuroscience of Personality book has some of the best descriptions of Ni and Fi I've ever read, and those are the functions that are perhaps most difficult to describe. The EEG really does let us "take a look under the hood" as it were, and see what's going on in a concrete way, such that now we have some concrete descriptions of what Ni and Fi actually do.

EDIT: It is also interesting to note that his EEG observations tend to confirm that each type has a "toe-hold" (as he puts it) into one's opposite type. An ISFP will occasionally show patterns emulating those of an ENTJ or INTJ, but will never have the "Christmas tree pattern" of an Ne type. He says that this appears to be the case across all of the types. Note that this would appear to be a demonstration that the tertiary function is not in the opposite attitude as the secondary, as some Jung theorists have asserted. I.e., a competing theory was that ISFP = Fi-Se-Ne-Te, not Fi-Se-Ni-Te. Nardi is observing Ni, not Ne, in the EEGs.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Is his book worth a look-in? I was thinking of getting it.

The google talk certainly was interesting.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post

I think it's worth getting. I compared it with his prior book, 8 Keys to Self-Leadership, and as I mention in my prior post, the Ni and Fi descriptions in his latest book are much more refined than those in his prior work. There is definitely information being gleaned from the EEGs that is affecting our understanding of the functions.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

How were cognitive functions invented? I'm not saying that people 'made them up', but rather I'm wondering how human development created them in our brains. Is it perhaps some natural product of evolution, or maybe even a higher spiritual process we don't yet even understand? Clearly, there are many more mysteries we have yet to uncover! The scary thing is though, what if EEGs or some other illuminating device showed us that we are really not the types we proclaim ourselves to be (I could after all easily be an ISTP), or if enneagrams (newly discovered ones included) were to be observed along instinctual stackings? Crazier yet, it also seems possible that if some valid reincarnation research were done that different individuals might change type upon different reincarnations, all in the realization of some ultimate type(s) slowly emerging that may not even be in existence yet! That sounds ludicrous to many I would guess, but you never know until you look. Another possibility is that each and every personality type in existence (or yet to be) are all roles of vital importance that come together to form a unified system.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    So what do you think about Ne dominants displaying the christmas tree pattern on the EEG?
    The same as I would think about the EEG patterns of star signs.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The same as I would think about the EEG patterns of star signs.
    In other words: you refuse to even look at the evidence.

Not very scientific of you.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Omg it's Victor. He really comes across with a pointed depth when he's expressing something about our most intimate or intricate humanity, but refrain from trying to reason with him about why people might have a belief system he's completely rejected.

When Victor does this, his Te is showing but through the filter of his dominant Fi ethics, which apparently have told him that boxing people into MBTI types or astrological houses limits their potential as individual human beings, and he's not hearing that there's any evidence to the contrary, using this inferior Te as if it were actual fact-collecting Te.

I know. I do it too. Just, in my case, about any political system that might threaten the wellness and stability of human and animal communities. I can't seem to find any facts that logically support any political system that justifies doing this, and it's because my inferior Te has to be filtered through my Fi.

People might say well this or that, but I'll start arguing ethics about it, and say they're missing the big picture if they aren't factoring in long-term views of human community ethics as well.

So don't waste your breath on Victor. If he ever accepts Dario Nardi, it will have to be on his own time, in a non-threatening way, and he's probably going to have to find a way to ethically justify it before he could ever embrace it.

And I refuse to look at the evidence for perpetual motion machines.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The thing I find most enlightening about Nardi (other than my original self-evaluation, which surprisingly matched up PERFECTLY with Fi dom when I peeked under the spoiler after)...is that F8, or remembering a lot of details, is linked to Fi/Te types instead of Si.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post

The most interesting part of the book to me was the descriptions of the brain regions & then the type brain maps which showed how much an individual of a type used the regions (heavily, moderately, etc).

I think it also discusses a tiny bit how different types may use the same regions quite differently, or in different situations which are rather consistent with how you'd expect a type to be (ie. ESTJ shows some indepth Fi listening, but only with a perceived authority ). If you think about how near opposites (ie. ENFP & ESTJ) show similar thinking especially near middle age, this suggests how their visible personality may still be very different. The thinking is not necessarily applied the same way in the same contexts. Personally, I know lots of old people & most are still easily identifiable as types (some seem more like caricatures than young people). It's not like ENFPs & ESTJs would become indistinguishable as personality types.

Most of the thinking patterns he describes are discussed in the video, I believe.

The book is nothing in-depth, just an overview of something more like a workshop than a proper study. It's kind of like he was experimenting with an experiment, to find a good way to go about it, see if it's even worth anything, etc.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe